Am I overworking my body?

Options
Hi everyone,
I am new here, but I wanted to get some knowledge opinions on what is considered overworking the body...

So I am aiming to lose weight and tone up in 3 months time, the ideal goal would be 3 stones in 3 months (I know most people told me that's too much too quickly) so I would settle for 2 stones in 3 months.

Based on my height, weight, age, and being female, statistics say that I need to consume 1900 calories to maintain my current weight.
I have narrowed my calorie consumption to 1500 calories for 6 days, and 2000 calories for 1 cheat day in the week (I had a very bad diet before, I'm still adjusting to the change in my food).

I have basically got a exercise plan as of follows (which is already in action for over 1 week already):

Monday: P90X workout + Jogging for 30mins-1hr

Tuesday: P90X workout + Gym (1hr30min session with both weights (30 %) and cardio- biggest portion is treadmill (70%) )

Wednesday: P90X workout + Jogging for 30mins-1hr

Thursday: P90X workout + Gym (1hr30min session with both weights (30 %) and cardio- greatest portion is rowing (70%) )

Friday: P90X workout + Jogging for 30mins-1hr

Saturday: P90X workout + Martial Arts (2hr session) OR Badminton (4hr session so narrow down to 2hr actual court time due to switching on/off court)

Sunday: P90X stretch + Badminton (4hr session so narrow down to 2hr actual court time due to switching on/off court)

Post any of my workouts, I am taking Shakeology (PLEASE NOTE: I was given this as a GIFT so I will use it till its done, then I plan to witch to Whey Protein shakes and multivitamins...*this note was aimed at the Shakeology haters out there because I know not everyone likes this brand*...)

Now I understand with any workout, it is important to have a rest day...but with my Sunday, my P90X workout is the X stretch, it isn't strenuous, just getting all those kinks and knots out of my muscles from the week...but I still play badminton on that same day too...
So...technically my muscles aren't resting...I guess (?)

I just wanted to ask if I am overdoing it?
Martial Arts and Badminton are my two hobbies, as part of a club, so if I have to cut things down...would I have to sacrifice one of these, or my jogging sessions?

Some helpful advice on this would be great, thank you for taking your time to read this!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Here's a question to ask yourself:

Why are you exercising that much?
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are over doing it. P90X is already a hard workout, why add the running after that? Also, what the poster before me said, why so much exercise? I put everything I have in my 45 - 60 min workouts and I dont have stamina to do anything after that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goals are.

i wouldnt immediately say you are overdoing it, but f you are working out that much hoping it will result in weight loss, then yes you're overdoing it. if you're working out like that because you have fitness goals not related to weight loss then go for it just make sure to listen to your body
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Yes, you are over doing it. P90X is already a hard workout, why add the running after that? Also, what the poster before me said, why so much exercise? I put everything I have in my 45 - 60 min workouts and I dont have stamina to do anything after that.
    it' possible that the OP is splitting up the workouts. i do that when i work out twice a day. the first workout might be something like 45-60 minutes of strong lifts and the second workout would be running. i personally dont like running and sprinting on my rest days from lifting which means if i want to do them both, which i do because of my fitness goals, then i need to split them up.

and for the record i've worked out similar to this for over 10 years and i havent killed myself yet :laugh: if anything i pretty much just prove that someone can still become very overweight while being active
  • ZG_norrydan
    ZG_norrydan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I presume your are many, many years younger than me! LOL! Seems like you have a goal in mind, and, while your hard work may get you there, what happens then? Over the long haul will you be able to maintain that intensity, both physically and mentally? Or, do you even want to? Slow down and enjoy the (long) ride.....
  • sxs_sky
    sxs_sky Posts: 4
    Options
    I've got a big wedding and event to attend to in the fourth and fifth month (hence I was aiming for 2-3 stones lost in 3 months if I could), thereafter, once I hit my goal, I intended to keep a workout to maintain the size and weight once I got there, because your body adjusts according to the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain the weight, how much calories you lose from exercise, etc...I adjust accordingly as I go along to ensure I gain optimum results to reach my goal then find a way to maintain that weight.

In response following Meshashesha20: I do my P90X workout first thing in the morning, and the jog takes place at night about 2-3 hours before I go to sleep.
    Same for all my days actually, P90X is the first thing I do, and I do something else at night following (hence the jogging or gym session).
    I cannot physically hack doing ANOTHER workout straight after P90X.
    If sometimes my body feels completely shattered, I would miss out my evening session, so perhaps my legs feel like jelly after my P90X and stays tat way through the day, I just don't go jogging and call it quits for that day.

Norrydan, I am 24 years old, and indeed I do have a goal in mind, but yeah someone else also said to me similarly it is a marathon not a sprint, but I always feel so pumped, with the "I can take on the world" (metaphorically) mentality, that I don't really feel like slowing down...if that made sense (?)

I mean personally I'm quite enjoying the workout as soon as I wake up and one before I call it a night, so far my body feels rather pumped throughout the day unlike it used to where I always felt sluggish and sleepy, but it was just because someone mentioned that I have to give my body one day at least of absolutely nothing or else my muscles wont heal, and hence why I posted my regime up here to ask for some advice from others who also know a lot in the field.
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    it' possible that the OP is splitting up the workouts. i do that when i work out twice a day. the first workout might be something like 45-60 minutes of strong lifts and the second workout would be running. i personally dont like running and sprinting on my rest days from lifting which means if i want to do them both, which i do because of my fitness goals, then i need to split them up.

and for the record i've worked out similar to this for over 10 years and i havent killed myself yet :laugh: if anything i pretty much just prove that someone can still become very overweight while being active

I still think she is over working her body. She stated she wants to lose weight quickly. You can workout all you want but if your over/under eating it is for nothing. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine :)
  • sxs_sky
    Options
    Are you suggesting that I only do p90x and leave it at that?
    Thing is I feel shattered after the p90x session, but I feel great, then 1hr later I feel so pumped and energetic...a lot of energy which I finish off at night before I sleep.
    I really appreciate your reply, I was wondering what you would suggest?
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think at 24 you can do what you're doing and you'll be just fine. If you start to feel like your constantly coming down with a cold, or you start getting cranky all the time, you can re-evaluate.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Two to three stone is 28-42 pounds. I don't see how you could lose more than, maybe 20-25 or so in three months, personally-- at least if you want to be healthy about it.

I also don't think you need that much exercise. P90x, combined with a diet comprised of healthy foods in the proper portions, should be more than enough to have your body losing as much weight as it can, in a healthy way.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts, keep an eye on your energy levels and listen to your body. You will know if you are over-doing it. Watch out for signs of over-training. I'm 26 and proabably do a similar volume of training to you but have 1 rest day where I just walk or stretch. Note: I'm also training for fitness and sport not weightloss. It would probably be better to take one rest day a week (maybe with just the stretching). But provided your not tired/sore all the time you should be okay. I find you can do more if you are mixing it up a lot. Just keep an eye on yourself and listen to your body because if you do too much you might hurt yourself.

Edit to add: diet for weight loss, exercise for fitness
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts, keep an eye on your energy levels and listen to your body. You will know if you are over-doing it. Watch out for signs of over-training. I'm 26 and proabably do a similar volume of training to you but have 1 rest day where I just walk or stretch. Note: I'm also training for fitness and sport not weightloss. It would probably be better to take one rest day a week (maybe with just the stretching). But provided your not tired/sore all the time you should be okay. I find you can do more if you are mixing it up a lot. Just keep an eye on yourself and listen to your body because if you do too much you might hurt yourself.

I agree. Some people will feel you are overdoing it.. I say listen to your body. I workout in a similar fashion for a couple of months now but I do take a rest day or two where I see fit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    The body recovers/rebuilds with rest. Consistent stress on it doesn't give it time to recover. Incidentally you burn more fat at rest than at any other time in the day.

Personally, I do think you're over exercising. I know P90X has different phases, but the expectation is to be at 100% work effort all the time. On some days you follow up with another resistance training workout (and I'm assuming all out training) for another 90 min. You'll probably be much fitter, but actual body recomp will take more than 3 months to hash out and nutrition would need to be pretty spot on. And even with all the work, REST is where body change happens, not in the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh I am exhausted just from reading that!!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

I still think she is over working her body. She stated she wants to lose weight quickly. You can workout all you want but if your over/under eating it is for nothing. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine :)

dude i wasnt implying that your opinion was invalid, so there's no need to remind me that the OP was asking for opinions and you gave yours. that's pretty obvious :laugh:

what i specifically was responding to in that quote was this :
    put everything I have in my 45 - 60 min workouts and I dont have stamina to do anything after that.
    i just wanted to point out that just because someone puts everything into one 45-60 minute workout doesnt mean they cant recharge, refuel and come back several hours later and put in another balls to wall workout.

when i was the OP's age i was an athlete and frequently did this 6 days a week where my exercise totaled anywhere from 2 hours to 4 hours . i'm 41 now and still workout out somewhat similar 3 days a week.. so after 20+ years of "overworking" my body i havent broken anything, fractured anything, or lost anything because of it. as long as someone rests appropriately, works in appropriate recovery exercises, eats and is in good physical condition to begin with, then the idea of overwork is pretty much up there with the worries my mom still has about me being roofied whenever i go to a happy hour :laugh:

but yeah in terms of working out that much for weight loss, i think the OP needs to do a little less
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are overworking your body. As much as you workout, doing that much activity won't give you results any faster. If anything you may hurt yourself. Sometimes less is more. So chill, I like the P90x Yoga, try THAT and nothing after, maybe a nap?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    moderate weight loss is more maintainable. You can lose weight faster BUT what are you losing? If it is more than a couple of lbs per week, then you are losing more muscle mass than you should have to... It is FAT you want to lose... not lean body mass. Moderation and accepting progress over time is a better way. I say this with this one caveat... Sometimes a morbly obese person (such as I was when I started) can lose a little faster and be alright... If you only need to lose 3 stone, then this does not sound like you... Moderate your loss and I think you will be happier with the end results.
  • sxs_sky
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice.
    I will adjust accordingly and of course listen to my body for this.
    =)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The point I want to make is that there's absolutely no advantage whatsoever to working out that much when it comes to losing weight.

Work out a moderate amount. A few hours a week of cardio and a few hours of strength training. That's enough to preserve your muscles and keep your metabolism going as well as strengthen your heart. Beyond that, more calories burned in the gym just means more calories you can (or have to) eat.

Get moderate amounts of exercise and eat a healthy calorie deficit. The weight will be lost.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice.
    I will adjust accordingly and of course listen to my body for this.
    =)

Just listen to your body.. I think you are doing fine provided your body doesn't feel overworked!