FAT BURNERS YAY OR NAY?

Options
I would love to get a better understanding of whether fat burners are any good or not. Having tried a few different types previously, I believe they can slightly help during exercise (with motivation and helping me get more out of a workout) but are there health risks from using them? What do you guys think?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Nay
    /thread
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Nay - they are at best a crutch, when the weight is lost & habits haven't changed the weight will come back (& probably more). Since they are basically just some form of a stimulant there could be cardiac health issues, depending on the age, weight and/or health history of the person taking them.....
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nay - I've tried 2 different brands and didn't really notice anything spectacular. Adding more healthy fats like nuts into my diet helped a hell of a lot more than the fat burners.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    below is the best fat burner i've ever encountered. you don't even have to take it daily! just 3-4 times a week, along with some good cardio and a calorie deficit.

fotolia_2839269_XS.jpg?h=10000&w=400&keep_ratio=1
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a better understanding of whether fat burners are any good or not. Having tried a few different types previously, I believe they can slightly help during exercise (with motivation and helping me get more out of a workout) but are there health risks from using them? What do you guys think?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Love'em
  • CaseyAllyssa
    CaseyAllyssa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're worth it, I've seen people get great results without them. Besides, I've heard that they only "help" with work outs because they overload you with caffeine or other similar energy boosters. For a lot of brands, one pill has as much caffeine as multiple cups of coffee. If that's the case, they can probably become habit forming, so be careful!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It does seem like they're mostly caffeine. A cup of black coffee a little before a workout would do just as well, no?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm generally for them for cardio (the real fat burners that actually do something), but find that I run the risk of passing out doing strenuous strength training. But most of the time I just stick to caffeine because it's dirt cheap.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Fat burners will slightly increase your metabolism by a percent or two.

Depends if you think 1-2lb extra fat MAYBE in 3-4 months is worth the cost of several months supplements.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You'll notice every product out there says "with diet and exercise." It's a pretty good indication that diet and exercise is what makes the change, not the pill.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    DNP, nuff said.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Waste of money. Potentially dangerous for some people.
  • caprica_006
    Options
    It may all depend on how sensitive you are to caffeine. Regarding non-stimulant based fat burning supplements, I have read that there is little to no evidence that some popular ones like raspberry ketones or cla's actually help.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a terrific fat burner...
  • amytaylorwilliamdrake
    Options
    i just read up on DNP cause I never heard of it, it does not sound pleasant says the angel on my left shoulder. but losing half pound a day would be tempting says the devil on my right shoulder