Want to Give Martial Arts a try

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
I am thinking about giving Martial arts a try. My focus would be losing weight and getting fit, but I am also interested in the discipline associated with it. The problem is deciding which one. I am leaning towards Muay Thai/Kickboxing, but also considering Karate. The idea of committing to something long term and working your way up higher levels is very appealing to me. It may help me stay on track with my fitness goals for the long haul. Still its a hard decision to make with so many choices. I wold love to hear from anyone who practices Martial Arts. Feedback, results, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Why don't you give a few of them a try?
    BTW, I practiced Aikido nearly 30 years ago.
    Have fun!
    kind regards,

Ben
  • MikeMarchetti
    Options
    Dear Mrs. Malcolm,

I would recommend giving muay Thai or kickboxing a try. They're very rewarding sports. If you want to be a well-rounded athlete, then I would suggest learning judo or Brazilian jiu-jitsu in conjunction with your standup training! I have been practicing martial arts for nearly 5 years now, and the positive impact of my training has seeped into my everyday life.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Total sidebar: most polite, awesomely supportive comments I've seen on here yet. You guys are awesome!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it may simply come down to location. Find a school that is conveniently located, and ask if you can take a free class. Most of them will let you take 1-2 free before you sign up and buy the uniform.

I really enjoyed tae kwon do before my PCOS symptoms got out of hand. The only reason I don't take classes now is because I can't wear the uniform in public. :-(
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    All my kids have done/still do JuJitsu. I chose this form of martial art as my eldest was being physically bullied at school, and when I spoke to their sensei, he had shown my son 4 different ways to defend himself by the end of his trial lesson. He is now 2nd Dan Black belt, and is an instructor, helping kids going through what he did. Jujitsu is a hands on full contact martial art, with kicks, throws and punches, so theres plenty of strength training in there. My 14 yo daughter can throw her instructor who is much bigger and heavier than her!
    My suggestion to you would be to find all the martial arts clubs in your area, and go visit each one to see what they do, whether they run adults only classes, and how structured they are.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    @ClintDangler I like the idea of the training having a positive impact on my life. That is what I'm looking for. I have never had anyone to work out with. I've never had that community and so when I'm down there is no motivation to go. But I think martial arts could be what I need in my life right now.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm a black belt in karate and did a little Thai boxing training!
    I would say muay Thai for weight loss I lost 10lbs in two weeks on Thai boxing camp a few years back and I wasn't really fat in the first place!
  • alfie1313
    alfie1313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have just taken up kick boxing, I've only done 3 sessions so far but im loving it! Give it a go, its such fun and I've learnt so much already :-))) My co-ordination is shocking so I guess I may be at it for some time before it becomes second nature lol :-))) its great and I would recommend it :-)))
  • JustinSLawler
    JustinSLawler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about giving Martial arts a try. My focus would be losing weight and getting fit, but I am also interested in the discipline associated with it. The problem is deciding which one. I am leaning towards Muay Thai/Kickboxing, but also considering Karate. The idea of committing to something long term and working your way up higher levels is very appealing to me. It may help me stay on track with my fitness goals for the long haul. Still its a hard decision to make with so many choices. I wold love to hear from anyone who practices Martial Arts. Feedback, results, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi mrsmalcolm,

I don't think you could really go wrong with any of those choices! :)

Most martial arts centres I've visited while gathering information for a few clients of mine seem to be filled with all types of varieties, from children, to middle aged businessmen. It's definitely a great idea to try at least one of them, it will assist you in many aspects of life!

Justin
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    In regard to self-defense you want to find something that uses both hands and feet. Kickboxing would be great in regard to stand up styles. Another very good style overall is Judo but it can be very taxing and it may not be what you would enjoy.

If you are primarily interested in doing it for exercise then style is really up to your own personal preference. Every school teaches differently. Find a style that you will enjoy or there is no way you will stick with it. Give a school a test shot and see if you really like how that school does things. Please do not sign a long term contract unless you have already completely made up your mind and you are sure that you like the school. Also, make sure you ask about all the costs involved, there are many schools that are just money crazy. Avoid those and try to find a school that at least seems to be genuinely interested in helping you be successful.

A very good tip is take the time to talk to at least 3 or 4 current students of a school and get their thoughts. Martial arts should be challenging and fun.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Does anyone find it to be an expensive commitment as compared to say gym membership fees?
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find it to be an expensive commitment as compared to say gym membership fees?

Its far more time absorbing and rewarding . its good for the mind :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've recently taken up karate and find it really interesting. Literally yesterday I had my first grading, see avatar pic!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Agree!
  • MikeMarchetti
    Options
    @ClintDangler I like the idea of the training having a positive impact on my life. That is what I'm looking for. I have never had anyone to work out with. I've never had that community and so when I'm down there is no motivation to go. But I think martial arts could be what I need in my life right now.

I would certainly agree! The martial arts community, in general, is one of the most supportive environments one can learn and train in. My instructors and fellow students have become friends outside of the gym. If you put in consistent, hard work, then you will be respected and rewarded tremendously. You will feel awkward learning the movements at first, but you will feel excellent once you start learning faster and employing the techniques in more intense drills and sparring. It might feel daunting at first as a woman due to your size, but don't let it get to you. All of the men in your class(es) will respect you even more.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Depends greatly. Some schools can be outragous when it comes to price!!! Make sure to look around. There are some very reasonable ones out there. A good price for my area is around $50 or less. Which is about the same as a gym membership. However i have seen schools that charge closer to $150. So just look around, there are good schools out there and i would even say that some of the smaller better priced schools are better very often.
  • MikeMarchetti
    Options
    Depends greatly. Some schools can be outragous when it comes to price!!! Make sure to look around. There are some very reasonable ones out there. A good price for my area is around $50 or less. Which is about the same as a gym membership. However i have seen schools that charge closer to $150. So just look around, there are good schools out there and i would even say that some of the smaller better priced schools are better very often.

Definitely agree. It also varies greatly based on the martial art itself. Good Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay Thai schools can run as much as $150 per month, whereas judo and boxing tend to be much, much lower. It's always a good idea to research the instructors and their backgrounds before joining any gym.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Agree!

That sounds great and boy does my mind need it. I'm excited now, but I have a lot of research to do.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    A suggestion: Akido, Judo, Ju Jujitsu.... are more "defensive vs offensive" martial arts. You don't attack, you redirect, pin, disarm your opponent.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Thanks will look into those