my new plan is to weigh only once a month.

Options
Has anyone else done this? Did it help or was it too hard? Thoughts? I don't habeas a scale at home right now anyway.

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else done this? Did it help or was it too hard? Thoughts? I don't habeas a scale at home right now anyway.

EXCELLENT idea!
    Too many people here, IMHO, obsess about what their farking scale tells them and get upset when it isn't what they expect.
    Do the calorie counting, eat a decent diet, do the exercise, get regular sleep and nature will take care of the rest.
    Wishing you all the best.

Ben
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks man! Rock on :)
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried that.

I lasted three days!

I feel the need to be constantly monitoring the effect of what I've done the few days previously (i.e. more or less exercise, more or less carbs, more or less calories.)

I think that once I feel 100% secure that my diet is working then I could leave it a month.

But then again, maybe not, because the scale motivates me so much!
  • snowflake266
    Options
    I think its a great idea,I am doing the same this month as weighing myself every week only brings discourage
  • NatzC123
    NatzC123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i currently do this. when you are weighing yourself every week it can be very discouraging if you haven't lost anything. the scales isn't always right, sometimes we might lose inches and notice it in the mirror but the scales may not reflect it.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea- if you can hold out and not take sneaky peeks! We women fluctuate SO much that we look like we've put weight on at certain times of the month, but if we weighed before the bloat begins, we'd feel like we are seeing great progress each month, rather than the down, down, same, up, down again pattern we get!
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I've been thinking of doing the same thing because the scale has not been friendly to me this week, despite my clothes telling me otherwise.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    when you are weighing yourself every week it can be very discouraging if you haven't lost anything.

I disagree. It all depends on how you choose to think about that inside your own mind. It is possible to have an attitude shift.

When I see a gain or no loss, I tell myself that it's just a shift on water weight. I remind myself that "some weeks you lose weight and some you lose millimetres". This makes me GLAD to see the scale not move and I imagine myself having lost 2mm all over, and smile.

When I see a gain or no loss, it spurs me on to be even stricter with my diet. It's a battle - me versus the scale. I'm going to keep on being super strict until I force those scales to go down.

Works for me.

YMMV.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea I am thinking that's what I need to do too. That and take my measurements. Scale is only part of the story and its too easy to let it become the whole story.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I weighed every morning up until about 6 weeks ago. Mostly to assure myself that I wasn't back sliding. Now that the weight is coming off at a slower pace, I am weighing once a week, also to keep track of where I am.
    Once a month would be too long for me. Weighing more often lets me know that I am going in the direction that I want to be going.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily. Then I changed to weekly. These days, I don't weigh myself on any real schedule. I do take measurements (with a tape measure) monthly. I just weigh when I'm feeling "light" and I'm curious about what the scale might say. I never expect much from the scale, and am never disappointed that way. My weight IS going down, and so are my measurements....I just don't feel it's productive or healthy (FOR ME) to constantly be checking with the scale.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Doing that is okay if you stick rigidly to your calories and do not veer off and also that you know for definite that your daily calorie allowance enables you to lose weight.

However, if you are prone to cheat days etc, you may find that weighing once per month is not a good idea because you will be unable to see if you put weight on or stay stagnant until that month is up. At least with once per week weighing, you can keep your eye on it all and adjust accordingly.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    i currently do this. when you are weighing yourself every week it can be very discouraging if you haven't lost anything. the scales isn't always right, sometimes we might lose inches and notice it in the mirror but the scales may not reflect it.

Imagine if you only weighed once per month and you lose nothing doing it that way either, that would be even more discouraging. However, if you had continued to weigh once per week, you would have been able to adjust your calories and exercise in order to continue losing.
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree with this!! This is what I normally do - but since I have been in The Biggest Loser Challenges, I've had to weigh myself once a week (I go to my docs office to weigh myself cause it's most accurate and I don't want a scale). When I am done with the biggest loser challenges, I'll go back to weighing once a month as that is when I see the best results (honestly!)

I think WAAAAAY too many people get focused on the scale weigh (HAHA) too much and it can actually (in my opinion) discourage you to the point of giving up (watched too many friends with that fate due to their obsession with scales and numbers).

But keep in mind, what works for me may not work for others. This is just my opinion :heart:
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options

EXCELLENT idea!
    Too many people here, IMHO, obsess about what their farking scale tells them and get upset when it isn't what they expect.
    Do the calorie counting, eat a decent diet, do the exercise, get regular sleep and nature will take care of the rest.
    Wishing you all the best.

Ben

I am going back to monthly only weigh ins once my commitments are over in a Challenge I am in {don't want to let my team Members down}
    great idea, you see a more realistic result, don't get disheartened by small fluctuations which throw you off, etc and I love all that is said in above Quote, good luck!
  • Shellsmiley
    Options

Doing that is okay if you stick rigidly to your calories and do not veer off and also that you know for definite that your daily calorie allowance enables you to lose weight.

However, if you are prone to cheat days etc, you may find that weighing once per month is not a good idea because you will be unable to see if you put weight on or stay stagnant until that month is up. At least with once per week weighing, you can keep your eye on it all and adjust accordingly.

I partially agree to both of your posts. Weighing once a week made me realize that I needed to change my caloric intake to around 1660 calories instead of nearly double that (based on my stats here on mfp). So it's good to find a caloric intake that enables you to lose weight first.

The phrase "cheat days" should be banished. It makes people feel guilty for indulging once in a while. I say if you are going to have a treat, make it a CHOICE not a CHEAT. Consciously make that decision. There is no rule book that says you cannot have a chocolate bar or cake or chips or something once in a while, as long as it's not every day and you actually do think of it as a treat. I find for myself, it's best if I enjoy a couple cookies or something once a week because it PREVENTS me from binging when stressed, depressed or just for the heck of it (obviously not everyone has this issue lol).
    Imagine if you only weighed once per month and you lose nothing doing it that way either, that would be even more discouraging. However, if you had continued to weigh once per week, you would have been able to adjust your calories and exercise in order to continue losing.

Now, with this post, I have to say it is not MORE discouraging. If you are REALLY eating clean and exercising according to your goals for weight-loss and you HAVE been losing, maintaining or gaining a little bit isn't such a huge deal by the end of the month because A.) Muscle weighs more than fat and it's VERY possible that you've gained muscle while shedding fat B.) If you measure yourself and you find you maintain or gain a little, it's again, VERY possible you've lost inches. The scale number is not the only number that counts, but obviously is an important number nonetheless. But it's not everything.

For example, when I lost 115 lbs between 2011-2012, there were a few months where I didn't lose any pounds, in fact I even gained up to 7 lbs in one month and instead I lost 12 inches around my body and my legs were more toned. Perfect example.

Losing weight is a numbers game, but most importantly you have to watch what you're eating & actually DO the work and exercise, and I strongly encourage people to keep their measurements per month as well as your weight because you will notice a difference in one or both of them!! :heart:
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Sounds like a good plan to me.

I am also doing no scale March as I only have 10lbs to lose (currently 142lbs) and so seeing a lose of 0.2lbs or even nothing each week has been demotivating me! I know I am eating really well and exercising 5 times a week or more so I have decided to give the scales a rest and use the mirror and tape measure to track my success as that is what really matters right. We're all doing this so we look good and feel healthier, not for a number on the scale.

Let's do this :)
  • Shellsmiley
    Options
    Hi there,

Sounds like a good plan to me.

I am also doing no scale March as I only have 10lbs to lose (currently 142lbs) and so seeing a lose of 0.2lbs or even nothing each week has been demotivating me! I know I am eating really well and exercising 5 times a week or more so I have decided to give the scales a rest and use the mirror and tape measure to track my success as that is what really matters right. We're all doing this so we look good and feel healthier, not for a number on the scale.

Let's do this :)

HERE HERE!! Good luck to you on your last 10 lbs!! I hear those are the hardest pounds to lose! :flowerforyou:
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm HOPING TO DO THIS! Im hiding my scale in the closet. Hoping to weigh once a month and do measurements twice a month. 1 time apart from weigh in day and 1 time with..

since i just took a recovery week i weighed in today because usually i lose after a recovery week but hoping not to weigh again until april because I have a doctors apt so I want that to be next time I weigh in.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I ONLY weight once a month anyway, as my scales at home are broken and I see a dietician once a month and she is the only one who weighs me and I trust her scales.