Starting a home gym? What equipment?

Options
I am starting to put together a small home gym in my garage. I am slowly trying to put it together piece by piece as I save money. I was wondering what are some of the better or most important pieces of equipment to have? I want something relatively basic. Right now I have mostly open space in the middle to practice martial arts and a treadmill that is on one side. I also have a large punching bag in one corner. I have free weights set up too. I would like to keep the majority of the open space in the middle for my martial arts training. I was thinking of adding a small weight bench and bar and/or some kind of all in one home gym weight system like the boflex or one of those large bar-things that you can do pull-ups, dips, and push ups and stuff on (not sure what its called). Any suggestions on the types of home equipment that you get the best use out of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Coco

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Squat cage!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_cage

If I ever turned my garage into a gym this is the first and most important piece of equipment I would make sure I have. Either buy it or build it yourself, but its very multipurpose and keeps things safe.
  • cocolicious2
    cocolicious2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks, something along those lines is exactly what I was thinking
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Do P90X and all you need are dumbells/bands, a pullup bar and your own body weight.
  • thomas127
    thomas127 Posts: 32
    Options
    Squat cage!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_cage

If I ever turned my garage into a gym this is the first and most important piece of equipment I would make sure I have. Either buy it or build it yourself, but its very multipurpose and keeps things safe.

+1
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Yea get a squat rack. Preferably with a bar across the top to do chinups. Then get a flat bench that adjusts so it inclines as well. Oh and a barbell of course. Do not get a cheap one off craigslist!

A barbell like this could be the last one you'll ever buy.

http://www.eleikosport.se/weightlifting/product.asp?PageNumber=1&Product_Id=205

Then you'll need weight plates. You won't need 35 pound ones because you can just add a ten pound weight to a 25 pound weight.

If it were me I'd get bumper plates because you can drop them on the ground.

We can also go more into depth about the ground too if you'd like.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Power rack, Olympic barbell, weights for it prob 300lb set and a bench
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Power rack, bumper plates and a barbell.

Extras would include an adjustable bench and dumbbells.
  • cocolicious2
    Options
    Do P90X and all you need are dumbells/bands, a pullup bar and your own body weight.

I have done p90x and I may do another round, but I would like something to mix it up. Thanks
  • cocolicious2
    Options
    Thanks everybody. It looks like a quality power rack, barbell, weights, and bumpers are the most popular!