Question about sugar

Options
misshpn
misshpn Posts: 70 Member
Hey guys.
Will you be able to lose weight, if you are within your total kcal count, but eat too much sugar?
I'm allowed to eat 28 g of sugar a day, but I'm having a really hard time staying within limit, because I eat a lot of fruit.

Replies

• turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    There are reasons medically that sugar COULD hinder weight loss progress. However for most people sugar is not an issue. (Within reason of course)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in your daily calorie allowance you'll lose weight.

Why are you only allowed 28 grams of sugar a day?

Is this a medical condition?
  • JustinSLawler
    JustinSLawler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi misshpn,

turtlefitness is exactly right.

Here's my 2 cents:

Should you not just cut back a bit on the fruit then if you can't eat more than 28g?

It is possible to lose weight while eating a lot of sugar, but the better way to do it would be to balance your diet out a bit. There are your 2 types of sugars, the refined, and the natural. Refined sugars are purely carbohydrates that supply calories with no nutritional value, whereas natural sugars offer some nutritional benefit.

Eating a lot of fruit is not a bad thing as it doesn't offer a massive spike in the blood sugar. If you also consume a considerable amount of refined sugars though, substituting it with Stevia is a good natural option (this is open to debate), as it is a lot sweeter than regular sugar, yet remains rather low on the glycemic index.

If you have any further questions on the matter feel free to message me and I shall help you as much as you need.

Justin