Pregnancy calories

Options
Hey all :) Happy Monday!

I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and have so far gained 9lb. However, I know this is mostly due to the fact that I had such a restricted diet before being pregnant and now im eating more the weight is piling on.

ANYWAY, I just wondered what would be the right amount (roughly) of calories I should be consuming a day. Im 29 years-old, 5ft 5inc and currently weight 141lb. I have a desk job so dont get to move about much and I dont get to the gym. I dont want to keep eating crap and gaining fat. I want to be healthy for my baby and gain weight in the right way.

Please dont shoot me down, this is an honest genuine question and I just wanted to get some advice.

Thank you :)

Replies

• turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    your docter is the right person to ask, not us. But my wife was told to eat 300-500 calories more per day then normal.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Sazzle.

I've heard you're meant to increase your daily calories by around 300 when pregnant.

However the best thing to do it probably ask your doctor who will be able to judge your needs individually.

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy :flowerforyou:
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) x
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy!!! Your doctor is definitely the right person to ask or do some research. I would pay attention to your body and if it needs food don't deprive it. Just choose what you are eating wisely. The baby will take what it needs.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thanks! x
  • PMarie29
    PMarie29 Posts: 75
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor, and listen to your body. Healthy weight gain for pregnancy for someone within a normal weight range is 25-35 pounds, but it varies from person to person. Exercise at your normal level (don't suddenly increase to keep the weight off) and don't binge or deprive yourself.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thanks PMarie. Hopefully I can stay within that limit! Its chinese food that I love at the moment! Im trying hard not to eat it anymore than once a fortnight now! Maybe I should try making some at home to satisfy my cravings.
  • PMarie29
    PMarie29 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks PMarie. Hopefully I can stay within that limit! Its chinese food that I love at the moment! Im trying hard not to eat it anymore than once a fortnight now! Maybe I should try making some at home to satisfy my cravings.

That's a great way to cut calories, and MSG!

And since I forgot before, CONGRATULATIONS! Babies are this world's biggest blessing!
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    if your pregnant they say your eating for 2 but all you need is an extra 200 calories a day x
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Cheers :D

Sticking to 200g carbs is hard!
  • hmhsu
    hmhsu Posts: 8
    Options
    Im currently 22 weeks pregnant and i gained a about 36 lbs with my first (but i was about 40 lbs heavier than i was when this pregnancy started) And so far i've gained 13 lbs which is not bad, but it still hurts seeing the number on the scale go up after i worked so hard to lose that 40 lbs. Any way, i've spoken to my doc and she says 2000 is plenty of cals for me to be eating currently. She told me to just make sure i keep up with my water, and don't beat myself up if i go over occasionally (like today :/ 730 cals over but it is my anniversary) Keep up with some sort of exercise and don't completely cut out your cravings, otherwise you may binge. On another note, my DH is Chinese and I do know how to cook some healthier options, if you want some advice on that feel free to PM me :D and CONGRATS and Good luck on your pregnancy!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    At least 150 over maintenance
  • lemonfizzle
    lemonfizzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    While I was pregnant I ate at my TDEE for the first trimester, added 100-200 during the second and 200-300 more during the the third trimester. My midwife had her clients speak to nutristionist, which was a really great experience. I would speak to your doctor to make sure you are eating correctly for your own health needs. Congrats on the baby!