DAY 1

Options
today i am starting the asda(wallmart) diet. every shake contains 203 cals and you have these for every breakfast and lunch. i think this willl be difficult but i want to lose 40 kgs/ 6 stone. today i weight in at 14 stone.

i tink this will be difficult but i am going to weigh in every week up till i lose all the weight. i may need some support and i am hopping that some of you guys can help me through this and share your storys and experances with me :)

i have always been a "bigger girl" but in this past 3 years i have been diognoised with bone problems and joint problems. this this time i have put on 4 stone. it is taking me alot to write this but i need for people to understand. in the past few months i have tried every diet under the sun but now i need something to help loose a bit fast to get me motivated. i really want to be a skinny girl and have confidence. it never really bothered me being bigger but now it has really starting to takes it tol on me mentally.
if anyone readds this please comment with yor storys :)

Love from LinziJayne

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    other than the shakes, what other food will you be eating? How many total calories per day are you planning on? How many grams of protein and fat per day are you aiming for?

There's nothing wrong with having a nutrtitional shake. I myself often have a protein shake for breakfast or a snack after work. But there's no guarantee you'll lose weight doing this unless the rest of your intake supports/balances your plans for breakfast and lunch.

Don't be shy, there's lots of people on these community boards who would love to help you make a real plan that will work for you specifically, based on your needs and what foods you like.
  • lindsayjanecairns
    Options
    thank you for replying :) i am going to have a small dinner everynight like a salad with a max of 500 cals. i need to eat less than 1200 cals a day. i am only goin to snack on fruits and veg. with min fat and carbs everyday. because this is all so new to me i am kind of shy but i have seen other people storys and that makes me feel i little less shy.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me at the moment I am doing IF like you I need to see results fast to get me motivated been down that lane with lighter life it did work but came back worse when I ate normally
    I intend to fast for 20 days and eat very low calorie for 10 days at the end of the month I am hoping for a calorie deficit.
  • bigrlv
    bigrlv Posts: 5
    Options
    Congrats with starting ew chapter in your life! It's same for me (3rd time), but hay - this time I will try to keep my lost weight :) So lets to it together ;)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're trying to take control of your weight. There's lots of very supportive, smart, inspiring people here. I'm not exactly trying to dissuade you from trying the shake route to lose weight, but I'm not too sure that your plan is the best way to stay healthy. Even if you're trying to lose weight, you still need protein, fat and carbohydrates in a sensible balance from real food sources. You also need to eat the right amount of calories. Eating less than 1200 calories without the direct supervision of a doctor isn't recommended by the vast majority of experts.

Please read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 (the pictures right now aren't showing up, but the info and links are still good)

We want you to be successful. We want you to be healthy. Please read more about BMR, TDEE. There's very few instances where anyone should eat under 1200 calories per day. <3
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hi LinziJayne! A shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a small dinner? Sounds very similar to SlimFast. I tried that when I was in college, lost 15 pounds...and gained it all back, plus more, once I stopped. And, from what I've seen, that's a pretty common experience.

The trouble with shake diets is that they aren't a sustainable way of eating. You don't learn to make good choices, or how to balance your needs with what you like. In my experience, taking the slower route of a manageable calorie deficit, exercise, and eating back exercise calories has worked much better. And if you're only reducing your calories by 250-500 per day, it's a lot easier to maintain later because you don't have to eat in a radically different way from normally.

Nothing wrong with the shakes themselves, by the way. They're handy if you don't have time to make breakfast, or to use as recovery drinks after heavy workouts. I just don't think the diet works in the long term.

Best of luck whatever you decide!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thank you for replying :) i am going to have a small dinner everynight like a salad with a max of 500 cals. i need to eat less than 1200 cals a day. i am only goin to snack on fruits and veg. with min fat and carbs everyday. because this is all so new to me i am kind of shy but i have seen other people storys and that makes me feel i little less shy.

There is no reason to eat less than 1200 calories a day. Many of our members lost more weight at much higher calorie ranges. Eating too little will end up hurting results. Just follow the MFP plan and you will be fine. Set your account to the general guidelines below. Also, if you exercise, you can eat more calories since the deficit is already built into the equation. A good workout routine mixed of cardio and strength training is ideal for maintain lean body mass and ensure most of your weight loss is from fat. This is critical to ensure you end up with a tight and lean body. But I can tell you, the women I know who workout 5-6 days a week have a lost a lot more weight at 1700-2100 calories and see more progress than they ever did at 1200 calories.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • lindsayjanecairns
    Options
    thank you to everyone for all your comments and support.
    i am only going to do the shakes for a month so that i lose some weight fast to keep me motived if im honest. i cant weight to lose weight and i seem to be doing good and not cheatting on it yet so yeh im quite happy about that. i really apprate all your support, advice and comments <3
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options

in the past few months i have tried every diet under the sun but now i need something to help loose a bit fast to get me motivated....

IMO, this is the problem.....it cannot be a "diet" ie: trying shakes for a month, trying to eat nothing but cabbage soup for a month, or whatever the latest "fad diet" is.

To really lose the weight AND keep the weight off, you need to look at it being a LIFESTYLE change. In other words, it has to be something that you can do for the rest of your life. That is what finally helped me get to where I am and will help me stay there instead of losing the weight and then regaining it all back after a year or two.

I love food, I love to drink micro-brew beers, love wine, iove to indulge in aged gouda cheeses and fresh breads and have been known to easily scarf down half a Papa Murphy pizza, etc. I have learned how to manage being able to enjoy those things and make it work with my "diet" so that I never feel like I am deprived and therefore I don't see my new lifestyle of eating healthy and working out as a " punishment ".

Yes, 98% of the time I weigh every bit of food that eat and I watch my calories like a hawk and determine whether or not I am able to have more carbs, or if I need to opt for protein instead and I am relentless about getting to the gym to lift weights, but with MFP and managing my food like this, it has also been relatively easy now to still enjoy the things I like to eat and keep the weight OFF. Granted I'd like to lose another 10 lbs just because I'd like to see the number 120 show up on the scale, but at 130 I think I'd give most girls half my age a run for their money! I have the excuse of the stress of moving halfway across the country to justify my bad eating/drinking habits of lately, but I have done a good job of maintaining my weight so for now that will have to do.

TDLR: Check out what I believe most people call the Road Map here and calculate what your calorie intake should be. Incorporate some exercise, preferably weight lifting (get those muscles working for you even while you're chillin' out) and some cardio to get you some more calorie burning and you'll find that you won't have to 'starve' yourself or convince yourself that those shakes are satisfying. Trust me, the weight will come off and you'll have better luck of keeping it off. Do it right now. Trust me, it's alot harder when you're my age : )

Best of luck in your journey!!!
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options

There is no reason to eat less than 1200 calories a day. Many of our members lost more weight at much higher calorie ranges. Eating too little will end up hurting results. Just follow the MFP plan and you will be fine. Set your account to the general guidelines below. Also, if you exercise, you can eat more calories since the deficit is already built into the equation. A good workout routine mixed of cardio and strength training is ideal for maintain lean body mass and ensure most of your weight loss is from fat. This is critical to ensure you end up with a tight and lean body. But I can tell you, the women I know who workout 5-6 days a week have a lost a lot more weight at 1700-2100 calories and see more progress than they ever did at 1200 calories.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Rats! Should have waited for Psulemon's post! :smile: They said it much better....good advice to follow!!!