Hi, new here. Anyone living in Ohio (Brrr!)

Options
I recently move to Ohio from NY. It's cold so I ate, now I better get it back off b4 it's too late. I asked about Ohio bc I don't really know anything about the state (!!) Share any thing you think is interesting. Maybe I'll check it out. I tend to be a bit unmotivated so if you randomly want to send me a "get to the gym" type email go for it! do judge me. I have very thick skin so I tend to really need a good kick in the bum to get it in gear sometimes. Also I'm looking for good, low carb recipes if you have them. I like to eat pretty much everything except for canned peas, liver, and quiche. I just can't stand quiche! My mom loves it and I have forced it down on several occasions. But anything else I'll try. Oh and my son picked my screen name. It's cute isn't it? Thanks all. :)

Replies

• SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Lived here my whole life intresting fact our weather here has a gaurantee of about 10 mins it will change one day 34 next day possibly 75 you never know.We love our Ohio State buckeys Michigan fans not allowed jk.Not sure where you are in Ohio but in Canton there is a lot of great places to eat around belden Village Mall and they have almost every type of food . In Cleveland there is the Art Museum and Great Lakes Science Center and the IX center which has car shows and an indoor amusement park sometimes ect. In Sandusky theres is cedar piont and lots of roller coasters to ride if you like rollercoasters. Im not sure if you find that intresting but it what I can think of off the top of my head.Mind you there is more but I havent been everywhere yet.Welcome to Ohio hope you like it :)
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Go Steelers!
  • Searedtuner
    Searedtuner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thx Mrsmiller for all the info! I can't wait to check out those places. I love to travel, i enjoy art, the Great Lakes Science center sounds very interesting, my son LOVES car shows. I am down in Mansfield. I've heard of Canton but that's about all I know, lol.
    I didn't realize there was such a rivalry with Ohio vs Michigan. My husband has family in both states, I guess we aren't big into sports. :P The weather here in Ohio is very chaotic, rain then snow then sun then snow then rain, wtf? I hail from NY (upstate) and once it's cold in Oct it just stays cold until about april we get a week on nice weather, then the north-easter comes through, and it's cold for bit again until the summer sun warms it up in June. Ohio is nuts. The people are friendly. Bad drivers. I know I am from NY and saying that...but OMG there are so many car accidents, cars missing parts, cars banged up. I can't believe it. But maybe it's just a mansfield thing. I go to OSU in mansfield and everyone is nice, easy-going. I do like Ohio so far. Can't wait to explore it further come nice weather, thanks for the tips. How long have you been on Ohio?
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well since birth so 29 yrs now .:)
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Ohioan! I like Cincinnati! There is lots to do there. Where I live is boring!!! lol Feel free to add me!
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I moved from Chicago to go to OSU. I'm not gonna lie....it is SLOWWW. This will be my full 2nd year here and I still dream of transferring weekly lol. I miss the fast paced night life and shopping on Michigan Ave, taking the train downtown and visiting UIC and DePaul....and PIZZA. I guess it's good because I won't eat the pizza here. But still lol :sad: :laugh:
  • amberlestep
    amberlestep Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been in NE Ohio for 9 months! Any fun stuff to do from Cleveland to the east? We've been to a Cavaliers game...but not really anything else..So far I like it here. Add me, if you'd like!! :)
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow Ohioans! Personally I love this state. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. :)
  • HoneyPie99
    Options
    I am in Marion, Ohio about 45-50 miles north of Columbus.
  • WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Grew up in NE Ohio, now live outside of Columbus. So, OP, I'm just down I-71 from you!

Not all of Ohio is like Mansfield. Like a lot of industrial small and midsize towns, it was hit hard economically in the 80s, and hasn't shown much recovery since, sadly. Mansfield has Miss Ohio Week in June, with a parade, if you are interested in that sort of thing. And not too far from you are some great parks and campgrounds - my favorite is Mohican State Park in Loudonville. Hiking, biking, canoeing, horseback riding are all available there.

Here in the C-bus we have professional soccer (Crew), hockey (Blue Jackets), minor league baseball (Clippers), of course a major university and all of its athletics, arts, and so on. Great shopping, great food - and quite a few great *healthy* food options.

Yes, the weather is crazy pretty much anywhere you go in Ohio. ;)
  • JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Ohio my whole life. I never noticed how 'gloomy' it is until one day about a year ago, my husband pointed out that it is cloudy most days! Now I notice it all the time!
    Anyway we used to live in Toledo, and there is an art museum there too. Also, during the summer, on Sunday afternoons, you could go to a free concert (I think it was once a month). Toledo has a great Chicago style pizza place somewhere downtown, but I don't remember what it's called, because I only ever had my husband get it carryout.
    My best friend lives in Mansfield! She took me to a great JC Penny outlet in columbus! Outlet's are always fun.
    These two aren't in Ohio, but I have family in Cincinnati so we go there when we visit them...Just over into Kentucky you can go to the Creation Museum, or the Newport Aquarium - a saltwater aquarium zoo with sharks and sting rays and all kinds of fun things like that!
    Going the other direction into Michigan you can drive a few hours and stay at Frankenmuth. It's an old fashioned german village, I think. We wait until it's off season, get a great deal at the Bavarian Hotel, which has 5 indoor swimming pools, and I think they are putting in a waterslide. The village is one direction, the other direction is a large outlet mall, and a couple years ago we went right around Memorial day and got the Memorial day sales and the end of winter clearance. I love sales!
    Oh in Toledo or perhaps is Sylvania, which is nearby; there is a hotel with an indoor water park. I've never been there, my kids are too young to want to do something like that, but I hear people like it.
    When I was younger we also used to go with my Cincinnati cousins to a waterpark called "the beach" but I haven't been there or heard about it in a long time, so I don't know if it's even still around.
    There's also a great area called Hocking Hills, my brother lives near there. There are lots of parks you can go hiking at. I think there is a lodge you can stay at, or you can rent little cabins (that's what my hubby and I did) and then we went around exploring. We also went ziplining, and that is a lot of fun!
    (I listed all these places since you said you like to travel) Welcome to Ohio!
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had never heard the whole 'weather will change in 10 minutes' think until I moved from Ohio to Michigan. Then when we moved back, people acted like it had been their thing for decades.
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    NW Ohio here! Born and raised here, was stationed in TX and couldn't wait to get back.
    Bundle up, I hear we are going to have some stormy weather starting tomorrow!