Why am I not losing? TDEE? Enough calories/exercise?

Hi guys, I have been doing MFP for over two months now and after an initial, speedy 5lb loss, I have totally plateaued and have in fact put on 1lb back on.

I am 5"9, 162lb and have set MFP to 1lb per week loss which gives me 1370 cals.

Despite sticking to that, running at least half an hour 3 times per week and weight training, the scales haven't budged for weeks and weeks.

My arms look great, stomach feels flatter and shape is generally better. I have lost an inch on bust, waist and hips, but again, that's plateaued.

I know there will be people who say the scale doesn't matter, and to a point that's true, up until last week i thought the same, but now it's getting frustrating and i dont want to fall off the wagon!

I am tall, and I'm wondering if this is normal if you have less to lose? Also wondering if I'm eating enough? I've seen talk of this TDEE and by my vague understanding I think I would be under, esp with all the workouts.

The other thing is, could my body now be used to the run I'm doing and should I up it?

Any ideas appreciated!!!

Thanks guys

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I'm assuming that from your name you are a man and at 5'9" and 162 lbs I'm thinking you may be near the weight you should be. Comparing my 6' tall daughter at 165 is just about perfect I can't imagine a shorter man weighing less.

Maybe what you need to focus on more is building muscle and firming up your body rather than just losing pounds.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Since you may not have a whole lot to lose try adjusting your goals to .5 lbs a week, also if you are interested in learning more about TDEE use the search function to find the "in place of a road map posting", that sort of breaks it down for you. Do some outside research as well, some people on here can be biased towards one method vs another. Best of luck!
  • If you are weight training and running than you are going to be adding muscle. Muscle always weighs more than fat hence the scale not moving. If your arms etc are looking better than you are already achieving the results everyone strives for. Losing fat while increasing muscle mass. I would keep doing what you are doing and enjoy the results. Good luck!
  • thinjim123
    thinjim123 Posts: 8 Member
    No - ha, sorry I should have said - I'm a woman! Just liked the name :)

Thanks for the tip Palmerar, maybe I need to set the goals lower and be a little more patient.

Traveljunkie - it's that thigh wiggle I don't want! my arms are looking better but I've been told I need to drop pounds before my legs show any improvement. I go on holiday to Miami in two weeks time and just want to feel good in a bikini.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    Have you calculated your TDEE and BMR, I really don't think you are eating enough. Do you eat back your exercise calories or at least half of them? I am only 5'4", weigh 145 and I eat about 1500 (don't eat back my exercise calories at that amount).
  • The only way to lose "wiggle" is to add muscle. Contrary to popular belief you can't lose weight in one area. It will come from weight loss as a whole. Just perform leg exercises like squats, leg press, stair climbers etc and they will tighten up and get thinner as you lose weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    1370 seems low to me, regardless of gender, at your height. You didn't say what your eventual goal is for weight but I'm assuming you're not planning on losing more than 20 more pounds - and in that case, you may want to lower your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2 pound if you decide to stick with the MFP method. You also didn't say whether you're eating your exercies calories back...if you're not, that may also be a factor.

And yes, it sucks that the scale's not moving but your body is obviously changing. In my experience, especially over the last year as my weight loss has slowed, I notice that the body goes through phases, I'll lose a pound then stall on the scale while my measurements change, then I'll lose another pound, etc. Patience and hard work will win the race eventually! And I'm sure your thigh wiggle isn't nearly as bad as you think it is... :)
  • thinjim123
    No, I don't generally eat calories back - I always kind of felt like that was cheating?!

Plus, not really sure how accurate the treadmill is for calories and when I road run, I have no idea either, so just guess speed etc on MFP.

I'm doing a lot of weighted squats/lunges and deadlifts but while I've increased the weight, I do a very similar routine each time so maybe I should shake it up a little with a circuits class or something. Thighs feel better, but look pretty awful.

Thanks Minnie, MFP is set to just 1lb a week but maybe I should increase and see how it goes...patience is hard! It's only a few months but when the scale doesn't budge at all I just want to reach for a mars bar!!!

Ultimately, I'd like to be at around 148-150 and be able to maintain.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    No, I don't generally eat calories back - I always kind of felt like that was cheating?!

Plus, not really sure how accurate the treadmill is for calories and when I road run, I have no idea either, so just guess speed etc on MFP.

I'm doing a lot of weighted squats/lunges and deadlifts but while I've increased the weight, I do a very similar routine each time so maybe I should shake it up a little with a circuits class or something. Thighs feel better, but look pretty awful.

Thanks Minnie, MFP is set to just 1lb a week but maybe I should increase and see how it goes...patience is hard! It's only a few months but when the scale doesn't budge at all I just want to reach for a mars bar!!!

Following MFP's method, you are supposed to eat those calories back. The deficit is already built into your daily goal - meaning if you ate to goal without doing any exercise, you'd still lose weight. So doing the exercise and logging the burn gives you more calories to eat, so you don't end up with too large a deficit, which can cause problems.

But honestly, I think you need to eat more - I'm 5'8" and I've been eating at 1800+ calories for the past year with great success - lost weight, fat and inches, and surpassed my goal weight recently. I set my calorie goal and my macros according to the information in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info there, with links to tools to calculate your BMR and TDEE - and basically you eat in between those two numbers, with your macros set at 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat. There are step by step instructions on how to calculate your numbers and set it all up.

I started exercising and trying to lose weight about three years ago, and did ok following other sites, falling off the wagon a few times, lost some, gained some back, eventually landing her at MFP. And then about a year ago I found that topic - best success I've had has been since then - the fat is still coming off, even from my tummy, butt & thighs, which are where it likes to stick! :tongue: I work out 5-6 days a week, running 4-5 miles three days, and weights/resistance the other three, about an hour or less a day.
  • MattChurchill
    MattChurchill Posts: 33 Member
    I don't log anymore as it didn't seem to help me, I do however still come on here to talk to friends and stay motivated. I'm eating more meals but starting to eat CLEAN. Plenty of protein and less of the carbs & sugars seems to do the trick. Circuits and lifting twice a week and jogging twice a week with a game of rugby at the weekend.

If I was guessing, i'm eating around 2000 calories per day.

I've tried lots of different ways to reach my goals and this seems the best way for me.

It all depends on what you want. I have friends on here that have lost alot of weight with jogging and calorie defecit, but they don't build any lean muscle and thats what I want. I dont care about the scales, I want my abs back, I want my biceps & triceps to grow and I want to feel good about looking in the mirror
  • thinjim123

Following MFP's method, you are supposed to eat those calories back. The deficit is already built into your daily goal - meaning if you ate to goal without doing any exercise, you'd still lose weight. So doing the exercise and logging the burn gives you more calories to eat, so you don't end up with too large a deficit, which can cause problems.

But honestly, I think you need to eat more - I'm 5'8" and I've been eating at 1800+ calories for the past year with great success - lost weight, fat and inches, and surpassed my goal weight recently. I set my calorie goal and my macros according to the information in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info there, with links to tools to calculate your BMR and TDEE - and basically you eat in between those two numbers, with your macros set at 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat. There are step by step instructions on how to calculate your numbers and set it all up.

I started exercising and trying to lose weight about three years ago, and did ok following other sites, falling off the wagon a few times, lost some, gained some back, eventually landing her at MFP. And then about a year ago I found that topic - best success I've had has been since then - the fat is still coming off, even from my tummy, butt & thighs, which are where it likes to stick! :tongue: I work out 5-6 days a week, running 4-5 miles three days, and weights/resistance the other three, about an hour or less a day.

Thank you! I just had a look at your progress and you look amazing! This makes a lot more sense. I'm pretty sedentary at work, so just felt eating the calories back was more for someone with a more active job.

I'm going to read the link properly when I get home tonight and up the cals on exercise days. Also think I may need to up the exercise - I only work out three times a week, and although I get my heart rate up, I'm pretty used to my run by now. Will up it slightly and see how I get on.

Seriously, thanks for all your replies. It's inspired me to grab a green tea rather than some chocolate!