lost 10 lbs in a week !?

Options
How is this possible ? It's been 7 days since I began eating more healthy and exercising more. I've drank 2 litres of water nearly every day. I really can see a difference in my shape....but 10lbs seems a little extreme. Could some of it be water ? Is this normal ? And no my scales aren't dodgy haha x

Replies

• freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It could be a shift in water weight, you could have a freakishly high metabolism, if could a shift in weight cycles (it fluctuates up to 5ish lbs a day)... Or you could be really, really lucky.
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It is normal. when I started loosing weight I droped 7-10lbs right off the first week. And even when I stoped watching so much and then came back to it this time i droped 7 lbs right off the bat again. It is just water weight. It will get harder the lower the number on the scale goes.
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well on the days that you do not lose any weight pull out the mesuring tape that may help you feel like you have accomplished something. Cause all the days won't be like that one but when they are it does make you feel good.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If it's your first week it is most likely water loss. When you change your exercise and eating you will lose a decent chunk of weight at the beginning until your body gets used to the changes.

Unfortunately you won't lose this much each and every week.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Almost all of it is glycogen -- sugar + water. This is especially true if you've cut back, in particular, on carbohydrates, as opposed to just a general reduction in overall calories.
  • remgirl2247
    remgirl2247 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loss 10 lbs in two weeks and now I do not have an appetite. What happens when you start to eat healthy and have no more cravings? Does your blood sugar levels have anything to do with this? I am extremely overweight.
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Water is a big part of it. you started flushing your system out and eating better. Always big the first week... great motivation as long as you temper your week 2 expectations.

Nice job!
  • mikedean441
    Options
    Water weight, when I started my diet and exercise I lost 11 the first week and 9 the 2nd week, fell off after that, but still down 44 lbs in 60 days
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    If you go to my profile page I actually have a "**Be advised" about that below where my goals are...I lost 10 Lbs the first 3 days...then for the month of January my total loss was 17.4...so after that initial 3 days it took 3.5 weeks to lose another 7.4 lbs, and have been averaging 2 to 2.5 a week since....so for me it was completely normal, it has happened with every drastic food change, or illness I have ever had....after the initial "WOOOSH" of the first 10 lbs, it slows down and levels out....Last Friday was 2 months solid of eating mostly Organic,gluten corn, soy<allergic, sugar sub., wheat free....with exercise, and 103 to 150 ounces of water a day, and not missing a beat....and I am at 26 pounds lost....Stick with it you are doing great things for yourself! :)
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    How is this possible ? It's been 7 days since I began eating more healthy and exercising more. I've drank 2 litres of water nearly every day. I really can see a difference in my shape....but 10lbs seems a little extreme. Could some of it be water ? Is this normal ? And no my scales aren't dodgy haha x

I dropped 10 lbs the first week too, the first week generally is a wow but it tapers off - don't get too engrossed with your scale. Big numbers aren't what I want to see, 1 - 1.5/week for me. I have been up and down weekly for no apparent reason. I try to look ahead to the end of the month setting a small goal - it isn't what comes up every week rather the final tally at the end. Good Luck!
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The first week is always a big number, you are giving your body a shock! If you watch the biggest loser you can see how your body will eventually get used to this type of lifestyle and you will have some low weeks. My body is at the point now where I can't seem to lose any weight at all! Just accept the 10 pounds and be happy, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out this way every week!! :)
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you complaining? THAT'S AMAZING, I'm so jealous!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's very common when someone starts eating healhty. I will throw one caution at you; make sure you hit your calorie goals. With 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 - 1 lb per week max and since you are a RN your account should be set at lightly to moderately active. If you consistently eat too little, your weight loss will not only be fat, but it will be muscle. Ideally, a person wants to maintain their muscle throughout weight loss as the more muscle you have the tighter and leaner your body will be.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's very common when someone starts eating healhty. I will throw one caution at you; make sure you hit your calorie goals. With 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 - 1 lb per week max and since you are a RN your account should be set at lightly to moderately active. If you consistently eat too little, your weight loss will not only be fat, but it will be muscle. Ideally, a person wants to maintain their muscle throughout weight loss as the more muscle you have the tighter and leaner your body will be.

This!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Definitely water weight. I lost 7 pounds in my first week just by changing the way I ate. No need to worry - your weight loss will level off soon!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Absolutely this. I don't know if you're not logging all your food, but most of what you have logged is alarmingly low and lacking nutrition.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

QFT. Hopefully what you have logged is not actually all you have eaten.