exercise question, please help

I have started spending 20-30 mins in the morning for exercise. Currently I am doing only low impact aerobics that I remember from my earlier gym classes. Questions are as below.

1. I have Elliptical, should I spend 30 mins on that?
2. Should I continue what I am doing for now? Should I be wearing shoes when I exercise at home? as I don't.
3. Should I invest in treadmill and just walk for 30 mins?

Please help, I am trying to

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    If you have an elliptical then use it. Instead of buying a treadmill spend that money on a gym membership or strength equipment to use at home
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    I have started spending 20-30 mins in the morning for exercise. Currently I am doing only low impact aerobics that I remember from my earlier gym classes. Questions are as below.

1. I have Elliptical, should I spend 30 mins on that?
    2. Should I continue what I am doing for now? Should I be wearing shoes when I exercise at home? as I don't.
    3. Should I invest in treadmill and just walk for 30 mins?

Please help, I am trying to

1. Do you like the elliptical? If so, use it. I like the elliptical better than the treadmill.
    2. I suggest wearing shoes...especially when using the elliptical. I didn't use shoes and my feet started to hurt.
    3. If you want too, why not? Agree with Dav and see if there is a gym close to you. Also, maybe try walking outside when it gets warmer. Mix it up.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    If you have an elliptical then use it. Instead of buying a treadmill spend that money on a gym membership or strength equipment to use at home

Yes, this, plus you can also walk/run outside.
  • 4FitChris
    4FitChris Posts: 10
    Do what works. Are you getting results? Don't go crazy buying exercise equipment thinking "this will solve everything". Better to invest in a gym membership, try the machine regularly, then evaluate the need to purchase. Start slow, but build every week pushing yourself. When doing cardio, you should be in a sweating within 10 minutes. Dripping by 15, and shirt soggy by 30. I seems ridiculous to see ultra heavy people peddle an eliptical for 15 minutes going slow enough to almost fall asleep, then say they had a great workout.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Do what works. Are you getting results? Don't go crazy buying exercise equipment thinking "this will solve everything". Better to invest in a gym membership, try the machine regularly, then evaluate the need to purchase. Start slow, but build every week pushing yourself. When doing cardio, you should be in a sweating within 10 minutes. Dripping by 15, and shirt soggy by 30. I seems ridiculous to see ultra heavy people peddle an eliptical for 15 minutes going slow enough to almost fall asleep, then say they had a great workout.

Thanks 4FitChris, but I do not sweat easily. I could see my heart rate go up though. One of the problem is that I HATE exercise though I do feel great afterwards. I also have 2 small kids, so going to gym is not working for me right now. I do appreciate everyone's comments here. I will start wearing shoes at home when working out at home and using elliptical at home.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    When doing cardio, you should be in a sweating within 10 minutes. Dripping by 15, and shirt soggy by 30.
    Sweating has nothing to do with it - some people just naturally sweat more than other people, and it has to do more with body temperature than how hard you're working. I'd suggest getting a decent heart rate monitor and use that to make sure you're working hard enough.

I agree, though - if you're getting results with an elliptical that's great. I would suggest wearing shoes for the support.