I want to lift, but don't have access to a gym....

Options
So, it is 'No Excuses March' for me and I want to get serious about trimming up.
How would one go about getting the benefits of weight lifting without the weights?
I have one adjustable dumb bell...
Also, I live in the middle of the country-side, the nearest gym being over an hour away....
(And, unfortunately, I have no access to farm stuff i.e. big tires, ropes etc.)

I am looking for a way to get a fantastic workout that will tone me as I go.

Any expert advice?

Even novice advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump! Same situ :happy:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Two books

Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gym
  • clhardy5
    clhardy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too want to hear some 'home' solutions!

Carrie
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you are in the USA, look on craigslist for used weights, a bench, and BAM, you're done.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Check out "You Are Your Own Gym". I have the book and iPhone app. It's full of great body weight moves and exercises you can do with common household items.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    the next time you get into town buy your own free weights. Start off with a few 3 lb 5 lb and 8 lb weights then as you get stronger just buy heavier. You can also pick up the stand to hold your weights for next to nothing. Until you can get to town to buy your weights use some soup cans or gallon jugs of water.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of 6 pound dumbbells and a stability ball, I just googled exercises for them and have a list I work off of. Just started, so we will see how it goes! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can also pick up some resistance bands for like $10 a piece. Get 3-4 of them and there you go. Also, you can use youtube and www.bodyrock.tv to find body weight exercises.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Check out Zuzka Light on youtube. She has a ton of awesome workouts. Most involve only body weight, but she occasionally works in a dumbbell or two as well.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Well, on one hand, there's the possibility of improvised weights. That's basically anything heavy you can grab onto. I don't remember where, but I've seen a workout somewhere designed specifically to use sandbags.

Personally, I second the recommendation of "You are Your Own Gym". No, it's not lifting, but it is designed to let you intensify regular bodyweight workouts by modifying your position. Plus, you can do it anywhere, and the iPhone / iPad App is very helpful in preventing me from finding excuses not to exercise. That lets it be my mainstay program that I can then add some standard lifting onto when I have the time / resources.
  • ddad99
    ddad99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue, but as I figured out.....your own body weight is your best tool. Time to go old school, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, chin ups.....etc. I'm just starting over agalin since falling off the wagon (so to speak) and life will not allow me the time to go to a gym. Gotta do something, right? Use what you have, your own weight. There are so many different variations that can be used. Try it, who knows, it may work.

I think I'll try what skylark94 just put out as well. sounds good. Thanks!!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    kettlebell
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out nerdfitness.com? It has great bodyweight routines and workouts you can do at home. Here's the link :
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-videos/
  • jonnie7053
    jonnie7053 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym by Mark Lauren is a fantastic book, never need to use weights again, and there's an app for his workouts also.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This week I am starting a more home based workout. I have been using the gym but I need to be home more with the family and I have equipped myself at home for a great workout. I have Convict Conditioning and it really is a great book and great concept. I also have a heavy bag. I recently bought the Gold's Gym 7 - in - 1 chinup bar kit, reasonably priced at $49.99 at ****'s Sporting Goods (link is below). ****'s also had a coupon online for buy one get one free jump ropes. So I purchased one with weighted handles and one without weighted handles. I am actually looking forward to trying this at home! Good luck!

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11973333&ab=TopNav_Exercise_StrengthTraining_PullUpPushUpBars&jsessionid=dGv1R0JJYYVbLgpcxSyb3k21CJpyt5ZCKg80hTzYFb4ZwFzd3HN4!-262274710&cp=4413986.12598195
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Find heavy things. I've seen people use their couch/chairs, bricks, etc. Having a full set of weights is ideal and much safer, but you can start now and work your way up to it. It's taken me about three years to get my setup where I like it. That's a bench, pull up bar, curl bar, two sets of adjustable weights, and plates. But I started with nothing but a pair of 8lb weights I got from my wife.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic girl!

This worked for me in the past and I am going to do it again to get some muscles :tongue:

Body Rock & ZWOW!

Gets me ripped :laugh:
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Two books

Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gym

Thanks for the titles!!
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Check out "You Are Your Own Gym". I have the book and iPhone app. It's full of great body weight moves and exercises you can do with common household items.

Rad! There is even an app?! I'm checking it out now.
  • Menelaus35
    Options
    You Are Your Own gym by Mark Lauren is fantastic. There's also an app if you have a smartphone. I started his program back in November and have never gone back. It's really good.