I want to lift, but don't have access to a gym....

Options

Replies

• terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic girl!

This worked for me in the past and I am going to do it again to get some muscles :tongue:

Body Rock & ZWOW!

Gets me ripped :laugh:

YES! Love Body Rock, but she uses that sandbag! Gotta get a sandbag!
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I filled a backpack with hardcover books, and wear that to do squats, lunges and step ups. Just keep adding books!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You can buy weights at walmart pretty cheap and also scour craigslist. Checkout scoobysworkshop.com for home workout routines and also there is P90X. I'm current doing along with Cardio which you can do anywhere:

P90X:
    Monday Chest and Back
    Tues: Shoulders and Arms
    Wed: Abs and Stretch
    Thur: Legs and Back
    Fri: Chest, Shoulders Tris

But every couple of months I'll switch it up.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I bought squat stands, barbell, weight plates and bench. I started Stronglifts 5 x 5. Its AMAZING :drinker: to do and give AMAZING :drinker: results
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I filled a backpack with hardcover books, and wear that to do squats, lunges and step ups. Just keep adding books!

That's an idea!! :) Thanks--
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Two books

Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gym

ditto

and my kitchen aid mixer is 27 pounds
    we have a box of old file papers that I swear has to be 50#, I should put it on a scale...LOL

Maybe I could strap the Kitchen Aid to my back and jog up and down the stairs....
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There's a JEFIT app too that has bodyweight exercises that you can do!
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    a Swiss ball is usually cheaper than a bench, and more versatile. check thrift stores for used weights. search the web for "body weight exercises"
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You could improvise with anything around the house with a bit of weight, even a couple of carrier bags with some tins from the cupboard & when finished make your lunch :)
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My husband bought a powerblock so he can lift between gym visits. The weights go from 5lbs. to 125 lbs. Warning!!! Don't buy this if you are about to move!!! It was a pain in the butt to move!!!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jesseg1989
    jesseg1989 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Broom handle and 2 gallon jugs of water maybe?
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, nothing beats a good set of barbells and "real" weights, but that isn't feasible for everyone. If you are willing to spend the money, I really like resistance machines like Bowflex. They are light, have a small footprint and can offer a good resistance workout that will tone. I have had an older model going on 10 years now and would definitely get a new model when that one ceases to perform. It was a good investment in my book. No weights to stub my toes on, always accessible, and fairly safe to use (no spotter necessary).

Now, before someone starts ranting, I am not saying this is better than real weights and you can get a nice set of bells for much cheaper. So it really depends on what you want. I like my Bowflex because it offers a wide range of exercises and is a decent toning machine. I combine it with bodyweight exercises (push-ups/sit-ups, etc), cycling and walking. Works for me.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Situps
    Lunges
    Flexed arm hang
    Climb a rope
    Bench jumps
    Planks
    Crunches
    Lift heavy objects to create resistance
    Recycle some plastic pop bottles (fill them with sand\water etc. Use them as weights a 2 Litre weighs about 4 lbs)
    Fill grocery bags with sand or pop bottles above
    Chop wood
    Swing a sledge hammer
    Drag a heavy object with a rope

Consider that our forefathers did not have a Gold's Gym, or Shapes or Curves or YMCA or....<INSERT GYM NAME HERE>

Exercise can be found anywhere with a little creativity.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've only been training for 2 months, but I got a Gold's Gym bench and 40 lbs worth of weights for $59 from Walmart. I use them every day! Great quality, and I even put it together myself!!
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own gym by Mark Lauren is fantastic. There's also an app if you have a smartphone. I started his program back in November and have never gone back. It's really good.

Is that the $2.99 one on the app store?
  • Menelaus35
    Options
    You Are Your Own gym by Mark Lauren is fantastic. There's also an app if you have a smartphone. I started his program back in November and have never gone back. It's really good.

Is that the $2.99 one on the app store?

Yeah, I think so. It was only $1.99 when I got it. It should have an orange app picture.