Plateaued & need some encouragement!

Options
I've lost 43 pounds, but have been stuck for weeks. I can't seem to budge much, unless I go up! I go up a pound or two, then back down a pound or two, but I can't seem to get past this spot.

It's always around this time that I start to wonder if I'll ever reach my goal, if I'll ever lose more weight, and why should I bother tracking my calories anymore if I'm just going to be stuck here forever.

bfaf.jpg
(My before and after.)

I feel like I've made a lot of progress, I feel comfortable in my skin, but I still have 30 pounds to lose just to get into the very top of my healthy weight range. It's so frustrating.

I need a pep talk!

Replies

• nosillanosilla
    Options
    I've lost 47 lbs so far. There were weeks and even whole months that passed and the darn scale wouldn't budge. You just gotta keep going. Eventually your body will realize you're not staying there anymore and it's time to move. Eat, drink water, lift weights, sleep, repeat :)
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this this past few weeks also. I was losing really steadily, and then zippo since mid-February. But I have kept going --- one thing I know for sure is that I won't lose, or even maintain, if I go back to what I was doing before. At least if I keep doing this, I have hope that I would get through this and continue to lose. So I keep logging, keep staying within my daily calories, and just keep going one day at a time. And over the weekend, I did nudge down a pound --- so that's something. I'm not going to give up on myself this time.

If you keep doing what you are doing, things WILL start to move again. And even if they don't, at least you're doing something to make yourself healthier, and make yourself feel better. You are worth it!!

Feel free to add me if it will help.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I got stuck bouncing 1/2lb around since January... then last week I dropped 4.2lbs without changing anything. I did the same thing before xmas so I think this is just how my body plans on screwing with me now! LOL

ETA: the reason you should continue is because your hard work will be lost! Look at your pictures... you look amazing!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Shake it - either change your diet or do a new exercise routine. Some thing to wake the body back up and get it going again. You can do it. Don't give it up - you've fought for every one of those 43 pounds and you deserve it.
  • libhub
    libhub Posts: 2
    Options
    Over 40 pounds lost is amazing! When I hit a sticking point, I try to remind myself how hard I worked to get to the point I am at and how much better I am feeling than where I was. You will definitely get things moving again soon. I think weight loss is just not linear, and sometimes we just hang out for a bit and need to make an adjustment or two.
    I don't know if this would help, but one of my favorite fitness pros posted a 3 part blog about busting through plateaus.
    http://mollygalbraith.com/blog/weekly-reader-question-8-bust-through-your-fat-loss-plateau-part-1/
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    at the point of nearing your goal weight, you should actually up your calories a bit more towards the maintenance level. Have you tried eating a little more?

I do zig-zag eating so I don't hit plateaus. I eat my regular caloric needs 3 days a week, a little more 2 and a little less 2.
  • jsrussell2127
    jsrussell2127 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am wondering if some people plateau quicker than others. I kinda fell off the wagon Valentine's because my husband and I went to my favorite restaurant. Then I was off for 5 days so I was pretty bad for about 3 days. But, I got back on my saddle, hot and heavy and have been doing better since. If I've gone over my calories, it's been less than 100 cals, I've been exercising 4x/week, and I've done a better with my water (but not as good as I should be doing) and I'm barely losing anything, if at all. I seem to be retaining a good bit of fluid and bouncing between 0-1.5lbs.

My question is...could I be at a plateau? Am I going to have to decrease my calorie intake to see more results at this point? I'm at 9lbs lost, but I, like I said, I've been retaining fluid, so I think I'm closer to 10lb. I won't put it in my progress until I actually SEE it on the scale, though, so MFP hasn't changed my caloric intake requirements.

Any suggestions and/or motivation would be appreciated! I've got 17lbs more to go.:)
  • jsrussell2127
    jsrussell2127 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
  • Iacono66
    Iacono66 Posts: 3
    Options
    First of all - Congratulations of losing 43 pounds! That's fantastic! We all hit plateaus and get discouraged. Tell yourself that life is full of bumps in the road and you have to push through them. If you are exercising, you may have to increase your exercise time and intensity. Your body gets used to the same day in and day out.

Keep up the great work and hang in there!
  • helpmeherman
    helpmeherman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! I think my frustration level gets higher because I exercise a lot and feel like I should be losing since I'm running so much. Training for half marathon #15 now, running 20-25 miles a week and working out with a trainer twice a week. I don't think I'm under-eating, and I do get that not eating enough can stall your loss. I guess I'll just keep on chugging along!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose weight.

No one likes to hear that there is no way to guarantee consistent weight loss, but it is not an exact science.

This is the part where you have to start having faith that you are doing all the right things.

right things =

consistently raising the bar for yourself

consistently raising the level of difficulty in your workouts, responsibly

consistently visiting your NUTRITIONAL INTAKE (not necessarily calories - but what nutrients you are giving your body to fuel those steadily harder workouts instead of just picking a calorie goal and staying with that forever)

consistently taking the time to teach yourself and raise your comprehension level for what you are doing to your body

sticking with your plan to prove your self-discipline and mental strength. (to prove it to yourself)

fully understanding that the number on the scale is the worst sign of progress and the fastest way to derail your motivation.* see footnote

believing in the power of your own hard work.

be actively patient.

*footnote: embrace the other ways of proving that you are changing and making a difference. make a monthly ritual you look forward to, if necessary. take a whole day for yourself, take all of your measurements regularly, take progress pictures (even if they never see the light of day), scan events for walks and 5Ks for charity, track your time for a route - even walking - and try to get a little faster each time. write down all the weights you start with and see what you are able to lift by the end of the month. Can you stay on the elliptical for 30 minutes? try upping the intensity and staying on for the same 30 - or REALLY upping it and going for 20. These are the things that will change your body. And when people say that they want to get down to a certain weight - they also hope to look better and see what they will look like at that weight. Aiming for a lower number on the scale will not change your body into that body. Balancing your workouts equally between cardio, flexibility and weight training (meaning stuff that weighs more than your purse - not something you can easily do 20 reps of) WILL.

I wish you all the very best of luck.

(You can do it)
    (but only if you noticed that the magic word here is consistency)
  • babybluex3
    babybluex3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Recently read in a running magazine that that happens alot with running.
    What you need to do is add in some high intensity interval running.
    I am sure if you look around you may be able to find a pod cast or something that will tell you when to run hard and when to slow it down.
    Might be just what you need to kick your body back into action.

Good Luck to you and Great Work for accomplishing what you have already!
  • dmmathern
    dmmathern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck now for several months also. I just did a detox for 2 weeks to break through the plateau. Also, switching up the workout routine to include more weightlifting.

I have lost 45 lbs and 30-40 to go. Just keep doing the activities to progress to your goal. We will get there!