Am I Sedentary Or Lightly Active - Or Other?

Options
My job depending on the day can be a lot of sitting around, but also it can be a lot of up and down and runnig around. Since I live in NYC, much of my day is walking. I walk a good mile an a half total throughout the day just to and fom the subways. I also have a dog that I walk. I do not count these activies as exercise, I only count my "official working out" as exercise. Right now I have myself listed as sedentary, but I'm not sure that's correct. At this point I still have about 35 pounds to lose and MFP has my calories at 1220 a day as base.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that sedentary.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    At least lightly active. With 35lb to lose, set MFP to lose no more than a pound a week - you'll probably get more than 1220 calories a day.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Definitely not sedentary.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would call that lightly active...maybe even more. Why not try out the higher setting for 4 weeks and see where that gets you? You never know how much you can eat and still lose if you never try a higher setting :). Be sure to give it four weeks though, as weight can fluctuate alot over only one week. If at the end of four weeks you're lighter than you were when you started, then success!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'd go with lightly active.
  • mklassy123
    mklassy123 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks. I will switch to lightly active. 1220 calories does not seem like enough for me, unless I am doing nothing but sitting on the couch. I will change my settings and give it four weeks.

Just made the change. Now I get 1350 calories a day (not including more for "real" exercise). This seems so much more doable. My goal has always been 1 pound per week, but I'm happy with even 1/2 a pound a week, as long as it goes down.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    At least lightly active. With 35lb to lose, set MFP to lose no more than a pound a week - you'll probably get more than 1220 calories a day.

^^yep

Assess after 4 weeks. If you are losing weight quicker than predicted, up your calories a bit.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    defintely lightly active.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    more then lightly active

I have fitbit and walking 5 km (3 miles) gives me extra 350 kcal. So yo walking to metro makes you lightly active
    walking the dog and moving around at work would take you to the next level (active)

definately DO NOT use sedentary

I am sedentary only when I don't leave house whole day (just sit watching tv, maybe do some light cleaning, fix dinner)
    I am below sedentary only when sick in bed
  • bara_rei
    bara_rei Posts: 49
    Options
    I would go with lightly active or even just regular active. Since you spend so much time walking, you are NOT sedentary. Honestly, almost no one is.

Bump it up to lightly active and see what happens after 4 weeks and go from there.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Id suggest that you buy a fitbit and link it to your mfp account. It actually tracks your activity and gives you accurate bonus calories. You may be surprised by how active you really are. It is also very motivating and will get you moving and hence eating more......