MFP alternatives

Options

Replies

• mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Either I'm too hard to please or most of you are just too easy ;) I'd seriously pay for a site that used asynchronous JavaScript and HTML 5 and had a well *maintained* database (as well as forums that would let me bold things instead of having to put asterisks around them) and was consistent and standardized.

I'm looking at myplate now and the database doesn't seem terribly complete, and it seems that it takes user contributed foods and recipes too but has no way to filter them out, though there does seem to be labels for the items that are verified. I wish they would actually curate each item submitted by users before releasing it for use though. From what I've seen so far, it is still lacking, but unlike MFP it does at least seem to be moving in the right direction. The search continues...

One thing that seems to be a problem with many food databases is duplication If you've already got a verified entry for a food or recipe from a book, reject all duplicate submissions (at least for public use). That should be a no-brainer.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    A pen and paper.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Either I'm too hard to please or most of you are just too easy ;) I'd seriously pay for a site that used asynchronous JavaScript and HTML 5 and had a well *maintained* database (as well as forums that would let me bold things instead of having to put asterisks around them) and was consistent and standardized.
    Like this?
    Anyhow, as far as I know there isn't a paid service out there, unless you want to look at weight watchers or something and switch to points instead of calories.
    Maybe you just need to get used to it? Because I seriously have none of the multitude of problems that you seem to be having, I think its a great free service.
  • mfaine
    Options
    A pen and paper.

I don't think you were being serious but you might be onto something there.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I have seen calorie counting books if that appeals
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I do and it does not take much time. If you enjoy the meal,save it for maybe some time in the same week or later in the month.
  • mfaine
    Options
    Like this?

Okay, perhaps I should have said "allow me to bold using a toolbar icon..." but the meaning was clear. The lack of formatting controls for posts (and status updates) is something that could easily be fixed, in fact, it probably took more effort to not have it. I'm not a MFP hater, I just want to see it get better, and I also understand it is free, which is why I suggested I'd be willing to pay. I understand someone has to implement my requests and that costs money. I sense a turn toward negativity so please don't shoot the messenger, I'm not saying anything that nearly everyone hasn't thought at some point while using the site.
  • kentermom4
    Options
    I am on a plan diet-I add my recipes and foods in to the My Foods and My Recipes and use the frequent list-done in no time and the info is saved for later use-the more you add to your database the faster and easier it becomes.
  • amiable_1
    amiable_1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I use a Bodymedia Fit Armband and subscribe to their service. They have an option to synch with MFP so when I joined here four days ago, I decided to do the synch. I am seeing the same problems you are and am now wondering about the wisdom in doing the synch?

The food database for Bodymedia's software was woefully inadequate especially compared to MFPs which is VERY complete. But with Bodymedia's software the menu entry was fast and smooth and immediate.

But the system for entering my menu into my diary on MFP is cumbersome. Changing pages? Not having suggestions appear as I type? Having to review several duplicate entries? What the heck?

And like you also pointed out there might be a dozen entries all for the same food and half of them have alternate nutritional breakdowns?

Like I said, I am new here and am still exploring. I must say it is disheartening to read others who have been here for years saying they have been making the same constructive criticisms all along.
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options

When you go to the database and type an ingredient, for example cinnamon, the very first thing in the list should be cinnamon, plain and simple, instead you get Apple Cinnamon Chex. It would be nice if I could just filter out all of the brand name stuff and simply enter actual ingredients.

Couldn't agree more. I have to wonder if there's a reason that brand name crap comes up first in cases like that. Is MFP getting a kick back for this from other companies? I somehow doubt it, but it just seems to weird that "cinnamon" wouldn't be the first result.

At any rate, I've sort of learned to live with it. I eat a lot of the same stuff when I pack work lunches or go out to eat, so I just skim through my "recent foods" and only have to actually look up new things about 25% of the time.
  • mfaine
    Options
    I use a Bodymedia Fit Armband and subscribe to their service. They have an option to synch with MFP so when I joined here four days ago, I decided to do the synch. I am seeing the same problems you are and am now wondering about the wisdom in doing the synch?

The food database for Bodymedia's software was woefully inadequate especially compared to MFPs which is VERY complete. But with Bodymedia's software the menu entry was fast and smooth and immediate.

But the system for entering my menu into my diary on MFP is cumbersome. Changing pages? Not having suggestions appear as I type? Having to review several duplicate entries? What the heck?

And like you also pointed out there might be a dozen entries all for the same food and half of them have alternate nutritional breakdowns?

Like I said, I am new here and am still exploring. I must say it is disheartening to read others who have been here for years saying they have been making the same constructive criticisms all along.

I've been here for about two years and I came here the same way you did, though I had a Fitbit, that I've since lost (twice). I no longer have the fitbit though. Your experience sounds nearly the same as mine.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Not trying to be negative, but a lot of your problems have solutions, so hopefully you found those posts helpful.
    Have you tried the phone app? I find some things better online and some things better on the app.
    Failing that, maybe forget about the pubic database and start slowly building your own on here, might be easier than pen and paper.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more. I was having that very issue this morning. A search for "spinach" should return exactly that, spinach. At the top of the damn list, not buried below dip, soup and 55 other things. Honestly, it takes all of 5 minutes to change the code and make it work as an actual searchable data base.

I have tried pretty much every other website available at this point in time and they all seem either worse to search or very incomplete. It's rather frustrating. Especially given how simple of an issue it is to fix.
  • mfaine
    Options

Couldn't agree more. I have to wonder if there's a reason that brand name crap comes up first in cases like that. Is MFP getting a kick back for this from other companies? I somehow doubt it, but it just seems to weird that "cinnamon" wouldn't be the first result.

At any rate, I've sort of learned to live with it. I eat a lot of the same stuff when I pack work lunches or go out to eat, so I just skim through my "recent foods" and only have to actually look up new things about 25% of the time.

It is strange that it is very common for people to reply to this complaint by saying they mostly eat the same things. People who agree or disagree both say this. Have you ever wondered why that is, perhaps you've trained yourself to eat the same foods over and over to make it easier to log. I know I have. I was just discussing how variety makes eating right so much easier and more fun (especially true for vegans). I want the freedom to try something new on a whim, or to not have the same meal twice in a month, the current system doesn't make that easy, in fact, in reinforces the exact opposite behavior.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    It is strange that it is very common for people to reply to this complaint by saying they mostly eat the same things. People who agree or disagree both say this. Have you ever wondered why that is, perhaps you've trained yourself to eat the same foods over and over to make it easier to log. I know I have. I was just discussing how variety makes eating right so much easier and more fun (especially true for vegans). I want the freedom to try something new on a whim, or to not have the same meal twice in a month, the current system doesn't make that easy, in fact, in reinforces the exact opposite behavior.

I can look up and log any meal in three minutes. It doesn't matter if I've had it before or not. I think you are making this way harder than it needs to be.

I don't eat all the same things. I just know how to use an alphabetized list.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I can look up and log any meal in three minutes. It doesn't matter if I've had it before or not. I think you are making this way harder than it needs to be.

I don't eat all the same things. I just know how to use an alphabetized list.

I agree. And this site is FREE. If I were paying for this service, I would expect more too, but I'm not, so I don't. Beggars can't be choosers.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I use this one when MFP is whacked.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

All listings are also in the MFP database, you just have to use the exact same wording.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I :heart: MFP. The database is cluttered but I have figured my way around it pretty good. What foods do you have a problem logging?

When you go to the database and type an ingredient, for example cinnamon, the very first thing in the list should be cinnamon, plain and simple, instead you get Apple Cinnamon Chex. It would be nice if I could just filter out all of the brand name stuff and simply enter actual ingredients.

Same problem. I absolutely hate most user entered stuff because everyone has a different focus and I never know what the person who entered the item was interested in. Some things have no macros, some don't bother to add sodium. Most days now I just use the standard ones because I like that I can weigh my milk etc.. Not being able to use my 'recent' /'my foods' in recipes really blows also. Honestly.. even for a retarded coder it shouldn't be THAT hard to have a check box to exclude user items.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I've just about had it with the cluttered mess that passes for a food database on MFP.

I was on My Calorie Counter for years and years, but honestly MFP has a more complete database and user exerpience than any others I've tried (also did living strong, the "S" one I can't remember the name right now, and a few others).
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    For format and information including Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, and breakdown of proteins, nutritiondata.self.com is pretty impressive. But, I do find their food database is very limited unless you eat out a lot or buy a lot of processed foods and the search capabilities are really lacking. For example, I tried to search on fresh fruit and had to wade through many pages of canned fruit in syrup and frozen fruit. How is canned or frozen fruit considered fresh? And for a service that touts itself on Glycemic Index counts, you'd think they'd have a lot under breads and starchy foods, but they really don't. It's still worth a visit to get some good information, but don't expect to find many exotic things in their database.

I'm constantly amazed that I can find items already in the MFP database that I pick up from import markets and even product that are only locally carried. I've only had to add a handful of items to the community collective in many months. Most of the entries are accurate and the few that aren't are usually OK on calories but missing other nutrients and I will update those when I find them.
This discussion has been closed.