Coffee drinkers!

Options
Hi yall. I loooove me some coffee! Ok, let me rephrase that, I love flavored coffee creamer with some coffee. I don't drink it for the caffeine, I drink it for that warm and fuzzy feelin' I get with each sip :blushing: :drinker: I am, however, tryin' to eat cleanly which means I should be stayin' away from that creamer so I decided to try replacin' creamer with almond milk and a tad bit of honey. It wasn't disgustin', but it's not really my thing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make a *clean* version of let's say, caramel macchiato or some other delicious creamer??

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine honey in coffee. Icky flavor combo, in my opinion. You could try agave or stevia instead. I don't think there is a way to make caramel clean. Maybe try an extract, like almond in there? They also sell drops of flavored stevia, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Vanilla-Flavored-Liquid-Stevia-2-Ounce/dp/B000E8WIAS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1362345106&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=liquid+stevia

They might even sell caramel, since I did see a chocolate flavored one.

I'd also recommend using a personal steam wand like this http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Brands-That-Cook-56AL3SAT/dp/B0002KZUNK. At least you'll get the froth right.

GL!

Edited to add: As far as I know, half and half and cream would be pretty clean, right? You could try working it into your macros if you aren't digging the almond milk. I think processed, additive filled almond milk is probably less clean, anyway. I am personally an almond milk addict, just throwing that out there.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and Torani Sugar Free Syrups. And real sugar. I won't give up real sugar in my coffee..nothing else tastes the same to me.
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    BLK
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just drink it with a splash of skim milk to lighten it up a bit. I love almond milk, so I tried it in coffee...terrible idea!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and Torani Sugar Free Syrups. And real sugar. I won't give up real sugar in my coffee..nothing else tastes the same to me.

I was thinking of recommending the sugar free syrup, too, like coffee shops use. The OP said she wanted "clean" coffee, though, and artificial sweetners are generally not considered clean eating.
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you find something, let me know. My french vanilla creamer is my addiction too!
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it counts as clean, but maybe try pure extracts, such as vanilla extract, almond extract, hazelnut extract, etc.
    They have hardly any calories but pack a lot of flavor, only a tiny drop is needed. Stevia for sweetener, if you like it.

The other option is the unsweetened vanilla soy milk, which to me tastes pretty good.

Experiment, see what you like.

Good luck.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I use Silk French Vanilla coffee creamer. Only 20 cals a tbsp. If you like soy milk then you will like this, too :)
  • gingerygal
    gingerygal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Coffee-Mate has a line of creamers called 'Natural Bliss' that are made with milk, sugar, and cream. No artificial sweeteners. I've had the vanilla, sweet cream, and caramel and love them all. Looks like they just came out with a chocolate one as well!
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... I'm not sure how "clean" this is, but I use organic french vanilla half & half. It makes my coffee so delicious that I never want to drink starbucks again.

Here's the ingredient list: Organic Grade A Milk and Cream, Organic Fair Trade Unrefined Cane Sugar, Organic Fair Trade Vanilla Flavor, Organic Coconut Flavor.

http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cream/half-and-half/french-vanilla-pint/
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    These are good: Coffee-mate Natural Bliss, Organic flavored half-and-half.

I personally use So Delicious French Vanilla Coconut Milk coffee creamer. Low calorie, comparably priced and soy-free!
  • suey07
    suey07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    4 year barista here! lol so, a caramel macchiato is basically vanilla syrup and caramel sauce. Id suggest buying some sugar free vanilla and caramel syrups. I use almond milk as well and the sweetness of the syrups helps hide the milk's yucky flavor. Hope that helps!
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I completely second the Silk creamer suggestion. I don't even really taste the soy in french vanilla; it just tastes like a less sugary normal creamer.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use either Coffemate natural bliss (milk, cream, sugar, vanilla) or Darigold natural vanilla creamer (four ingredients as well). I've gone from 32 oz of java and 6 tbsp of creamer to 16 oz of java with 3 tbsp of creamer. I tried to find subs that were lower calorie but nothing beat my vanilla creamer and Seattle's Best.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    everyone's version of "clean" is so different, but I am trying to steer away from my very bad addiction to those creamers too... I have been using half and half or fat free half and half with the sugar free torani syrups. Its yummy! Ive even been diggin em so much, Ive ordered brewed coffee with the syrups at coffee shops lately and have been very satisfied :bigsmile:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use either Coffemate natural bliss (milk, cream, sugar, vanilla) or Darigold natural vanilla creamer (four ingredients as well). I've gone from 32 oz of java and 6 tbsp of creamer to 16 oz of java with 3 tbsp of creamer. I tried to find subs that were lower calorie but nothing beat my vanilla creamer and Seattle's Best.

You're right! Nothing beats seattle's best... #4 right here! :drinker:
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I tried almond milk in my coffee before... :sick: Hated the flavor! I hate skim milk, but it tastes alright in coffee. Sugar in the raw is pretty good, but I don't know much about clean eating, so I'm not sure if this falls under the category. :( I wish I could help! Coffee is the one thing I didn't cut from my diet.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi yall. I loooove me some coffee! Ok, let me rephrase that, I love flavored coffee creamer with some coffee. I don't drink it for the caffeine, I drink it for that warm and fuzzy feelin' I get with each sip :blushing: :drinker: I am, however, tryin' to eat cleanly which means I should be stayin' away from that creamer so I decided to try replacin' creamer with almond milk and a tad bit of honey. It wasn't disgustin', but it's not really my thing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make a *clean* version of let's say, caramel macchiato or some other delicious creamer??

I am the SAME as you :). I drink some coffee with my creamer ;). Honestly I just the sugar free creamers (love the vanilla cinnamon..yum!) and just count it towards my daily calorie goal. I have 1 cup/day and log those creamer calories. The plus side with the sugar free version is that there is only about 35 calories/TBSP
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    How many times a day are you having your sugary coffee? If it's once in every while, I'd say just have it.

Otherwise coffee mate do a light version.
  • christinakeaton
    christinakeaton Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am the same way. I like a little coffee with my delicious flavored coffee creamer in the morning and sometimes in the afternoons. Which in turn add up to about 100 calories cups of coffee or even more... Yikes!!!! I just bought some coffee mate sugar free caramel macchiato creamer on Saturday and it is really good, and contains half the calories of the original creamer. So I would suggest trying the sugar free creamers. They come in all sorts of flavors ;)