Does the Saga ever end?

Options
Nighttime eating? I still have this problem. I am working on it but it is a real challenge. Some nights I do great. Tonight is not one of them. I pretty much have resolve myself to I can not stop eating at night. I just make sure I don't exceed calories and that is where exercise calories help a lot. It it had not been for them, I would not be losing as much weight now. I try not to eat more than half of my exercise calories but my nite time eating is making this impossible.

I keep jello cups and pickles and this helps too when I get the munchies. I like pickles but jello is just OK but it does the trick sometimes and it is only 5 calories.

I am really not asking for suggestions, I know them all. :laugh: I just want to know if any one understands this issue. And have any of you given up on not eating at night and just choose wiser choices at night. I know when I weighed in 500's I would eat fast foods late at night and then go to bed. So I have come a long way, but sometimes I feel I should be able to stop eating after a certain time period. Oh well and life goes on. Thanks for letting me vent.

I don't want to give up the fight but as long as eating very low calorie stuff is working for me, I just don't feel like I should continue to fret. Your thoughts? Please. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You have come so far and wrestled a difficult task to bend to your will. :flowerforyou:
  • itslovelly
    Options
    Mollie,
    I know just how you feel. I tend to eat more at night too. I do pretty well during the day when I am busy with work, but evenings always seem to tempt me to eat more. Not sure why. I'm just trying to be patient with myself as I change habits that will hopefully last for a lifetime. Every step in the right direction is a step in the right direction.

Good luck. If you find the magic answer to not eating at night, let me know. :o)

Deedee
  • itslovelly
    Options
    oops... hit the post button twice. :0}

Deedee
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi Mollie,I have to eat at nite! Ive always been the same,If I go to bed hungry I CANT sleep,I think its what you put in that matters,there's a vast difference between a couple of rice cakes and a take away.I hate jelly,dont know how you manage it!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I know you are not looking for suggestions. But maybe support? You can always join us.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99228-june-2010-no-more-snacking-after-dinner
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you can't eat at night. As long as your total caloric deficit is below your maintanence - you will lose the weight over the long run. If you are hungry at night and concerned, just eat healthy - I usually eat a half cup of light cottage cheese before bed, it's satisfying and it's a slow metabolizing protein (casien) that gets digested gradually throughout the night so chances are it will be used in your body's reconstruction of cells, hair follicles, muscle tissue, etc and not put into storage as fat. Don't feel so terrible about it. If your losing fat, your on the right track - keep going and you'll hit your goal and make new ones before you know it.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question Molly! I have had a problem with this night eating forever so here is my solution. I used to eat horrificly fattening foods, like a fried bologna grilled cheese and not just but one but two and then go to bed!!! yikes and i wonder how i gained all this weight. I still have not been able to stop the night eating entirely but i am making better choices, i usually have a fat free yogurt, or a serving of taste escapes ham or turkey on one piece of wheat bread if i am really hungry. I am still losing so i am ok with this. I am hoping to start :thinking myself out of eating late but so far no luck with that. You are such an inspiration to me Molly, I am sure your choices are healthy and are allowing for a loss rather than a gain.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way! After a very long road of changing habits (8 years in the making) I've finally gotten control of my nighttime eating! I still snack at night occasionally, but it's always something light like a yogurt or some fruit. You can do it, just don't give up and remember eating healthy snacks are always better than beating yourself up for eating late. :flowerforyou: