working out- getting bigger?

Options
So, i've been working out 6 days a week, high intensity, core work, ab work, strength training, yoga etc, for about 7 weeks. I feel like I am just getting bigger. My stomach feels more jiggly, my hips are bigger, my arms are sagging more. i am SO CONFUSED.
Now, I do have some hypothyroid issues I am trying to figure out with some drs.. nothing official yet, so I know that is not helping my case with not loosing the weight. But I am confused why I just look worse then when I started.
Ideas?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My only guess would be you're either eating too much, or it's something to do with the thyroid issue.
    Or, if you're new to excercise, your body may just be holding onto some water and bloating a bit .
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    so you're basing this post on how you're "feeling", not actual measurements, not actual weight?

you need a starting point. get a measuring tape! measure hips, natural waist, upper arms, thighs. then compare in a month.
  • awade218
    awade218 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing everything right. How is your diet? I am working out 6-7 days a week doing "spartacus" and bike on my cardio days buring around 1100 cals, then strenght heavy lifting and a 5k on my other day buring around 800-900ish. I have only lost 8lbs. I am way more lean however. I think my diet is pretty good though. Lot's of protien. Trying to get in the zone were you burn mostly fat and not muscle is hard doing intense workouts. Whatever you do, do not deprive your body of the calories needed. If you are going 700+ below what you should be, your body will try to store fat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    so you're basing this post on how you're "feeling", not actual measurements, not actual weight?

you need a starting point. get a measuring tape! measure hips, natural waist, upper arms, thighs. then compare in a month.

Agreed.

Also, and this is just personal experience, I go through "squishy" phases with my weight loss. I am all tight and leaner looking for weeks and then I'll have a period of a week or two where everything just looks/feels looser. Then, it goes back to tight and leaner looking. It seems to go in cycles. I keep losing weight and inches the entire time, so I don't stress about it too much.

As I said, that is just personal experience, nothing scientific. But, I'm guessing it's sort of normal.
  • nguyenkh2002
    Options
    Are you eating less? The strength training increases your abdominal muscle, but if you are not eating less, the increase muscle will build under the fat layer. Therefore instead of just having fat, you now have muscle and fat which makes the area bingger. Once you eat less and lose the fat you'll see the progress that the fat is hiding.
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is what confuses me also. In the past I combined cardio and weight lifting along with dieting and got the same results. My arms especially only got bigger and bigger. Now I just do cardio and I love the results. I know for a fact weight lifting can give you a slim and toned look but I never achieved it. For the record I did very light lifting, maybe that was my problem.
  • KristaHuyer
    Options
    no no, i have done all the measurements and scale. its all the same.
  • KristaHuyer
    Options

I've done the measuring tape, the scale. everything. its all the same.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    1 - rest days are vital if you ever want your body to actually change.... it changes between workouts mostly, not during them. Rest is equally as important as cardio and strength are. Divide this up 30/30/30

2 - how is your sodium and sugar intake

3 - work it out, you're smart!