flax seed...chi seeds

Options
If I keep my flax seeds, chi seeds and wheat germ in the freezer , how long will it say fresh ? :smile:

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If I keep my flax seeds, chi seeds and wheat germ in the freezer , how long will it say fresh ? :smile:

I wouldn't freeze them.

Fridge for a month is good for flax. Grind as needed but not before needed.

Pretty sure you can store chia at room temperature in a cool, DRY, dark place for a couple months. Condensation in a fridge or freezer might activate the gel and you'd end up with chia goo stuck to the inside of tupperware. Not so lovely. That is, unless you use it quickly, then tight container in the fridge is okay.

You can store wheat germ either in the fridge or freezer no problem. Use in a couple months.
  • Cyncham
    Cyncham Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi, I just bought some ground chia seeds Saturday. The package says: after opening, store in refrigerator for up to 6 months.
  • fran65now
    Options
    Thank you !:smile:
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've always kept all of my seeds/nuts in the freezer and have never had an issue with them. I use them daily though. Freezing them won't hurt them as long as they're in a decent container.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If your chia seeds are whole, not ground, they don't need to be in the refrigerator or freezer.

Just one more reason I prefer them over flax.