Is Running a good daily workout?

Options
What I'm curious about is if doing a 20-30 min jog/run daily is a good workout, or even an effective workout. I'm currently training for a 5km run/obstacle course for the summer and I'm trying to a) build up my cardio and b) well, burn some calories. I have short legs, so 4.5-5 on the treadmill is a decent jog for me and that's generally what I do.

I know I should be doing more, but I work shift work and sometimes after a 12 hour shift, I just don't have it in me to do much else. I know doing something is better than nothing, but I'm just wondering how effective what I'm doing even is.

I do strength training once a week (or attempt to lmao), but running is what I do the most and what I really enjoy.

Tips? Thoughts? Options? XD

Replies

• runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    <putting on my running coach hat>

If you're going to do a 5K race, I recommend the Couch to 5K program. It gives you 3 workouts a week and you gradually build your mileage with your goal race at the end as a motivator. There are a few good apps out there too if you're into that sort of thing. :)

Good luck!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad workout, but I think you should strength train more than once per week.

strength training makes pretty drastic changes to your body and has a better effect than running IMO
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad workout, but I think you should strength train more than once per week.

strength training makes pretty drastic changes to your body and has a better effect than running IMO

I agree with this. I love running – it is like therapy for me and I prefer being outside moving than inside on a treadmill. But I notice such a huge difference in my running when I am hitting the gym doing strength training 3 days a week. I work out everything – upper body, lower body and core – because I use every muscle in my body running, especially races when you are navigating a crowd, dodging walkers and stroller-pushing moms.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is a pretty short cardio workout. I would recommend a 20-30 min plyo workout over 20-30 min of jogging.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the best workouts you can do! However, running EVERY day can take a till on your joins. I am currently training for a half marathon, but with any length of race you do, you need to make sure you cross train between runs. Run every other day make sure to take a rest every 2 to 3 days to let your body heal and build up. Run one day for 20 minutes the next day use a stationary bike or jump rope. It will give your body a break, especially on the joints! Good luck with your 5k!
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Since you plan to run a 5 k, I'd recommend a programming that helps you increase to that distance - but if you can run already for 30 mins you are almost there. IMO, weights make a greater impact, but I've just reduced my weights to 1/ week since I'm training for a half marathon. Since you are doing an obstacle 5k why not split the difference and alternate your 30 main workouts with running one day, lifts the next. You can focus in big lifts like deads, squats, lunges, press... Then you are building the strength you'll need as well! Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're working hard then it's effective. To me, a "nice jog" isn't working hard enough.

I also agree that you should be strength training more than once a week. Don't forget there are going to be obstacles in your obstacle race - many of which you'll have to climb/pull yourself up/over.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Asking if running is good when don't resistance train is kind of like asking if you should quit smoking when you drink too much. They're different thinks.

Having high cardio capacity is a good thing, I doubt anyone wants to be the person who gets gassed walking up a flight of 6 or 7 stairs or the guy who gets passed by the 1-legged veteran in a 5k race.

Being strong is also a good thing. Having to have a supermarket send someone to help you lift a 20lb bag of dog food is not a good thing.

Train for both.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    20-30 minutes of running per day, 6-7 days a week is a decent (effective) workout. My recommendation would be increasing it to 30-40 min/day on 5-6 days/week.

In my experience, 95% of the time on these obstacle courses is spent running or waiting in line. I think you'll get the most bang for your buck by working on your aerobic base rather than strength, but they're not mutually exclusive.

Think about this, if you're already strong enough to pull yourself up a rope (or w/e obstacles they have), a little extra muscle might cut 5 seconds off your time. Compare that with some extra cardio which could easily drop your running time from (assumption) 30 minutes to 27.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the reasons behind it but I have seen in many places that sprinting builds muscle and improves endurance.

I'll leave the research to you or somebody else but it's worth looking into if you want to increase strength but would much rather run than lift.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

This
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    did it 4-5 times a week for three years. Messed up my knees. Got too efficient at it. It stopped changing my body and giving me a real workout. Just got too easy. Didnt want to have to run a marathon a couple times a month to get a good realistic pain.

Switched to heavy weights and cut out cardio for a year, Im back to it as of Saturday, completely inefficient again. Will be fun to build back up I guess.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am a proponent of doing exercise that you enjoy. If ll you have time/energy for is a 20-30 minute run that you are going to do. That's infinitely better than any other exercise that you don't like and then blow it off.

Try to get more strength workouts in if you are doing an obstacle run, but there is nothing wrong with a daily run
  • dailyfunshine
    dailyfunshine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A daily run is great for SO many reasons! We should all be getting in that much cardio every single day. Like others, I would recommend adding in some more strength training in there where you can, even if it's just a few sets of light weights! :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your fitness goals...I think you should more firmly define those. That will tell you if 20-30 minutes of jogging is enough. For me and my fitness goals, 30 minutes of jogging 3x weekly and 30 minutes walking 3x weekly combined with my weight training 3x weekly is plenty to meet my fitness goals. That said, I'm not looking to run a marathon or even a 5K for that matter. My cardio goals pretty much revolve around heart health and general fitness. I am far more focused on my strength goals.

I would also add that 1 day of strength training is probably about as close to a waste of time as you can get. You're really not getting much out of that. Maybe try jogging for 20-30 minutes 3x weekly and strength training 3x weekly on different days.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

I found strength training helped with my running, and I'm not even talking about obstacle races, just regular road races. I especially concentrate on lower back exercises to strengthen my core (supermans, bridges, plank) and hip abduction/adduction exercises to help with hip flexion. Both of these have helped eliminate my left knee and hip pain. Google for more ideas and programs for strength training for runners.