Protein Bar Recommendations?

Options
tobirhae
tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
I've been eating mint chocolate Market Pantry protein bars from Target that I love, but they're 210 calories. I'm trying to cut my calorie intake, so a lower calorie protein bar for after my workouts would be a good start. I love the mint chocolate flavor, but not the 210 calories. Anyone have a lower calorie protein bar that they love and would recommend? Thanks!

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your own protein bars? Those can be alot lower cal than the commecial ones. Otherwise, check out Pure Protein. Their bars are about 180-190 cals, 20g protein, 2g sugar
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Most protein bars seem to be around the 200 calorie mark. I usually get the Pure Protein ones because they have more protein for the calories as others.

Quest bars are good, too, but a little pricier than I'd like. They have a TON of fiber, too, and don't make me gassy like fiber bars do.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your own protein bars? Those can be alot lower cal than the commecial ones. Otherwise, check out Pure Protein. Their bars are about 180-190 cals, 20g protein, 2g sugar

I eat Pure Protein as well! Love them
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - have fun experimenting and make your own.

www.proteinpow.com - LOVE THIS SITE
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You are so right about those Market Pantry Chocolate Mint ones - delicious!! If you have an Aldis near you, they have a store brand double chocolate that is 170 calories and pretty tasty.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Perfect Foods Bar (especially if you are a peanut butter addict). All natural (no, really, it's like a superhero larabar!), tastes fantastic, is low net carb, and reasonable amount of protein.
    http://perfectfoodbar.com/
  • GospelofGrace
    Options
    It will be tough to find a protein bar for less than that. Remember, it's almost a meal replacement so concentrate on the ingredients especially the sugar which is very high in most. I happen to love love love Steve's Original Paleo Krunch Granola Bar at 200 calories. With a cup of tea and the granola bar I'm full!
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I picked up a box of Detour lower sugar protein bars at Costco last week. They're 170 calories each, 15g protein. And they're pretty tasty.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    luna, they make 200 calorie bars and mini 100 calorie ones.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options

I eat Pure Protein as well! Love them

Me, too! They are also low card and sugar, and taste good.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Coconut Cashew Quest bars. 170 cals, 20g protein, 17g fiber, 2g sugar. Soo tasty!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I really liked the quest bars when I tried them, but they're a little pricey.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Coconut Cashew Quest bars. 170 cals, 20g protein, 17g fiber, 2g sugar. Soo tasty!

That sounds like a Quest protein bar. I was going to suggest Quest. Best tasting bars on the market, IMO. Chocolate chip cookie dough FTW!
  • astrotam
    astrotam Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I get the chocolate crunch meal bars made by Life Choice. They're 160 calories, 10g of protein, and 6g of fiber. Thing is, they have 16g of sugar. They taste great, though!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Ditto! I also love the chocolate peanut butter: 160 cal, 20g protein, 17g fiber, 1g sugar. Order them directly from Quest: http://www.questproteinbar.com

They taste way too good to be protein bars....but they are!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

That sounds like a Quest protein bar. I was going to suggest Quest. Best tasting bars on the market, IMO. Chocolate chip cookie dough FTW!

Yeah, that one is pretty amazing too!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    QUEST bars for sure!!!!

More natural than all the others, no added sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no sugar alcohols, low carb (3-6 net/non-fiber carbs per bar mostly from nuts), no soy protein, gluten free, and depending on what flavor range from 150-240 calories each.

Very tasty!!! My fav is Apple Pie, sooo yummy with 20g protein, 170 calories, 3g sugar, 18g fiber, and only 6 non fiber carbs.

I find these pretty easy where I live, at The Vitamin Shoppe, and other stores like that. Not at GNC yet.
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've always liked the Premium Nutrition Protein bars (Dutch Chocolate, PB Choc. and PB Yogurt are the flavors) but they are 290-300 calories and 30 grams of protein. I get them from Sam's Club for about a $1/each when you buy the box. My wife cuts them in half and has one mid morning and one mid afternoon to spread out the calories.

I've recently discovered the Cliff Protein bars and the mint Choc flavor tastes just like the mint girl scout cookies and they have 20 grams of protein BUT they also have 270 calories so unless you cut them in half and make 2 snacks out of them you run into the same issue that you're currently having.

I did check out the protein site that another poster listed and it looks like there are some great recipes on there! Thanks for sharing.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Quest bars.

I would also recommend the Supreme Protein bars in the smaller size (they offer two size varieties). They taste great, have about 180-220 calories depending on flavor, only a few carbs, and about 15g protein.

Another brand I like is Think Thin, though they are more of a meal replacement than a protein bar (though they have 20g of protein per bar) and are 220-240 calories. They're all natural and taste AMAZING, so its definitely worth it!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I like the Detour low sugar whey protein bars.