Four week plateau?!

Options
adk88
adk88 Posts: 143 Member
I know plateaus are common, but four weeks? This is the most stubborn one I've ever had and I am running out of things to try! I tried mixing up my calories, one week 1400 then the next 1600. I've started new exercises (kickboxing twice a week and running three times a week) and the scale just will not budge. I've also taken measurements, and they don't seem to be changing at all either.

Any advice? I know to just stick it out and by all means, I will. It's just getting a little discouraging when it's been almost an entire month without seeing any results.

EDIT: I recently changed up my calories after reading a really interesting article about losing the last bit of weight. I am eating a relatively small deficit, usually between 1600-1800 calories a day (a deficit of 300-500 from my TDEE) at a loss rate of .5-1 lb per week. I however do not eat back my exercise calories. I am ok with it coming a little slower, but I'd just like to be able to see a little progress at least!

Replies

• beez89
    beez89 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Your not alone!!!! Ive had the same stubborn 3-4lbs bug me for 2 months now. I know what you mean about getting frustrated!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It's bound to happen... you gotta stay patient. Maybe switch up your workouts to confuse your body?

I've lost all of 3 pounds in the past 2 months.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Things you can look at would be...

1. Big changes in activity level? Were you working out six times a week for 2 hours a day and now only 3 times a week for 1 hour?
    2. During the 3-4 week span. Any vacations or celebrations where you just ate/drank what you wanted without tracking? Any cheat meals, etc. You could be erasing your weekly progress with those situations.
    3. Are you being more lax in your tracking? Did you use to weigh everything and now you just guesstimate? Could be overestimating.
    4. Start any new medication?
    5. Track your sodium content. Any food you introduced high in sodium lately?
    6. Any big changes in what types of food you are eating? For instance, going to a more natural diet tends to be bulkier and can result in some temporary weight gain which may be masking some fat loss. Also, if you were eating a lower carb diet and have increased carbs you may have more muscle glycogren stored, again masking fat loss.

February was a weird month where I didn’t lose anything for three weeks. Had a weekend ski trip, V-Day, then a random weekend where I just didn’t track what I ate. Show no loss for 3 weeks straight than a random 4 pound loss in 3 days.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My plateau lasted 26 months....

The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose weight.

No one likes to hear that there is no way to guarantee consistent weight loss, but it is not an exact science.

This is the part where you have to start having faith that you are doing all the right things.

right things =

consistently raising the bar for yourself

consistently raising the level of difficulty in your workouts, responsibly

consistently visiting your NUTRITIONAL INTAKE (not necessarily calories - but what nutrients you are giving your body to fuel those steadily harder workouts instead of just picking a calorie goal and staying with that forever)

consistently taking the time to teach yourself and raise your comprehension level for what you are doing to your body

sticking with your plan to prove your self-discipline and mental strength. (to prove it to yourself)

fully understanding that the number on the scale is the worst sign of progress and the fastest way to derail your motivation.* see footnote

believing in the power of your own hard work.

be actively patient.

*footnote: embrace the other ways of proving that you are changing and making a difference. make a monthly ritual you look forward to, if necessary. take a whole day for yourself, take all of your measurements regularly, take progress pictures (even if they never see the light of day), scan events for walks and 5Ks for charity, track your time for a route - even walking - and try to get a little faster each time. write down all the weights you start with and see what you are able to lift by the end of the month. Can you stay on the elliptical for 30 minutes? try upping the intensity and staying on for the same 30 - or REALLY upping it and going for 20. These are the things that will change your body. And when people say that they want to get down to a certain weight - they also hope to look better and see what they will look like at that weight. Aiming for a lower number on the scale will not change your body into that body. Balancing your workouts equally between cardio, flexibility and weight training (meaning stuff that weighs more than your purse - not something you can easily do 20 reps of) WILL.

I wish you all the very best of luck.

(You can do it)
    (but only if you noticed that the magic word here is consistency)