head cold - to work out or not to work out!

Options
So I have come down with something - a head cold I think or sinus viral something

I have sinus pressure, very sleepy since i did not sleep well last night, sore throat and the chills - luckily no fever as of right now

Do you work out through a cold? I was going to go to a kickboxing class tonight but think that sleep might be more beneficial - and i will just eat accordingly

what are the symptoms that you absolutely listen to in regards to rest and what do you push through? If I wasn't having chills and actually slept last night I think I could do it.

Replies

• StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I never work out when I'm sick. Sometimes, I do very low intensity cardio if it's a cold to get the sinuses moving.
    You're body is fighting to get better. Let it help itself get better. you won't make any gains if you workout while you are sick. You need more sleep than you do a workout.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with this today myself and losts of times in the past. For me, I always try to do something when I am sick. Many times I get myself out for a walk, but I find once I get going I can do a little more. Then again, if I feel really crappy I just rest up as much as possible. Would rather miss a day or two of working out than risk making things worse and have them drag on for several days.
  • Curvynerdgirl
    Options
    It honestly has to be a judgement call. Working out can be good for getting your immune system going, but once your sick, its likely not a bad idea to rest. Also, just keep an eye on your symptoms as sinus stuff turns into a sinus infection faster then you would think. I would recommend a really good saline mist to flush out your nose or a neti pot (with sterile water), and just good old fashioned rest.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    If you feel as if you NEED sleep, then sleep! You have to let your body recover from illness.

If you really want to workout (and you are not going to get anyone else sick) then maybe lessen the intensity. Do some light cardio or something just to get moving. It may help to bring your energy levels back up.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If it's just a head cold, work out. As soon as you get moving your sinuses will clear and you'll feel great.

If you are tired or run down or feverish, rest.

And if you do work out make sure you wipe down everything extra well. Your fellow gym members will appreciate it.
  • cynfy16
    cynfy16 Posts: 35
    Options
    If you feel like you need to rest then do it! Just because you are sick and resting doesn't mean you are gonna gain weight. As long as you stick to not eating like crap then gaining weight won't be too much of a problem. Plus the most you rest now the faster you will get better! :smile:
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i think I am just going to walk home rather than take public transporation today - that can be my exercise and it is getting me plenty of fresh air! thanks for the advice - resting seems to be winning this mental fight today
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A cold will never keep me from a workout.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If your feeling kind of out of it I try and get a decent, but not to hard of a work out in. But if you just feel totally out of it I pass on a workout for one day, and just really hit it hard the next.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I just missed two weeks of workouts because of a sinus infection. Generally, if it is slightly annoying and just in my head, I will do something to open up the sinus cavities. If it is in my lungs where I am caughing and wheezing, I stay far away from the gym. If it's in my head where it's extreme like eyes swollen and I am gasping for air, I rest.