New balance

Options
Looking for a new pair of running shoes but havent got a great deal of money at the moment.

Has anyone had any experience with New Balance running shoes ?

What are they like ?

Thank you

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I have also been shoppoing around for running shoes. I've found that it doesn't really matter what brand you buy if the shoes you choose fit you right. There are different types of shoes depending on the terrain you want to run on and the type of stride you have. Maybe try going here to give you an idea of the different types of shoes that would be good for you.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_re=hpslots-_-2mensshoes-_-shoedog

You hav eto click "Start Here" on the left side of the screen and take a short quiz to get some shoe recommendations.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    New Balance are pretty good especially if you have a wider foot. I loved my pair.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont care for them. I much prefer Rykas for women
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I only use New Balance. It is a personal preference though. Best thing to do is find a runners store in your area where they have a variety of brands and styles. Fit, support, and comfort should rule over manufacturer. THAT being said, I have tried Asics, Nike, and Addidas, none fit me as well as NB.

My running, hiking, and work shoes are ALL New Balance.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've never tried New Balance but I LOVE my Adidas shoes! They're super light and comfortable!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    They make some really good minimalist shoes, also if you love a wide toe box they are great! Its hard to give an opinion in general since they have such a wide variety of shoes but I've been happy with my minimalist runners.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some fit me well, others fit me terribly.

Brand is unimportant... fit is it.
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I ran cross country in middle school, my coach recommended New Balance or Saucony (sp?), my mother who worked in an ER swore by New Balance (but now wears the Sketchers Shape-Ups because they help with the arthritis in her feet, she has no delusion they will make her skinny or anything) and so that's what I always had. I have to agree with bdburch and everyone else, brand doesn't really matter so long as they fit properly.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have Asics and I love them, but my Dad has really wide, big feet and New Balance is the only company that makes running shoes he can be comfortable in. For that, they have my respect.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like them for power walking as they do a good range of support shoes, and they are British made.

That said, I wear something else for running, as I agree with everyone who says 'it's the fit, not the brand that matters'.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be doing a lot of running, you should get yourself checked out at a running store to see if you have pronation or are neutral. A good running specific store should be able to watch your motion and tell you and provide you with a variety of shoe possibilities.

Having the right kind of running shoe (fixes pronation or is neutral) that also fits properly is more important than brand. Your feet, as well as your knees will thank you.
  • kwol18
    kwol18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have pretty wide feet and New Balance is the only brand that carries lots of wide sizes. I've never had any issues with them.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have the best luck with New Balance 890. I have several pairs and LOVE them.
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments think I am going to have to just try a load on :)

Trouble is I cant really tell the fit until ive ran for about a mile lol
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    NB was the first company to make actual women's sized shoes rather than just scaling down the men's shoe and calling it a women's shoe.
    I always seem to have at least one pair of NB in my shoe rack. I like their light weight low profile sneakers for daily wear. Great for driving a sporty car with small pedals too. :)
  • dkmilton
    dkmilton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some specialty running stores will even have a treadmill located in the store so you can get a feel for how the shoe fits while walking or running. Definitely head over to a running specific store and the employees there are generally very knowledgeable and will be able to help you out!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My family used to take an annual trip to the New Balance store every time we visited my grandma, oddly enough. I love their shoes and do find them to be of value, unfortunately they are on the expensive side. However, they last longer and are far better for your feet than the $50 knockoffs you'll see at Wal-Mart and other places, so be careful-- those products ARE real New Balance products, but they're purposefully made cheaper than the ones you'd find in the actual store or online.

I would also recommend any small shoe store that sells specialty footwear-- if you're going to splurge, this is really your best bet. The salesperson will take a look at your walk, perhaps test / look for pressure points, and recommend not only a style of shoe but also any inserts you might benefit from, especially if you have any sore spots or callouses on your feet that worsen when you walk a lot. I purchased my sneakers almost three years ago from such a store for about $200 (with orthotic inserts for my plantar fascitis or something), and they're falling apart now, but they're still very comfortable and I can feel a huge difference when I go between them and cheap, flat shoes such as sandals.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    New balance were pretty comfortable when I used to run a lot. I have wide feet so they fit better than other brands. I have a pair of light asics now that are pretty damn good, although I find my feet sweat more in them than any other pair of sneaker I've ever worn.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Love my New Balance...have 2 pair.