How to clean Blender Bottles?

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
Okay, so... we've all been there. We mix up some protein powder in a shaker and then forget to wash it until the next morning. Right? Well, HOW THE HECK do you get the nasty rank sour protein smell out of shakers?????

I have like 5 bottles i have done this to and have a blender bottle graveyard that i refuse to touch. :P

I have soaked them in hot water with soap. I have washed them numerous times- even in the dishwasher.

What on earth can you do to make these NOT smell terrible? Or fix it once you've already messed up?

:sad:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    If you've washed them and soaked them a million times and they still stink, I would throw them out and find replacements. I try to remember to wash mine right after I use it, or at least rinse it.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I soak mine in water and soap. But I leave it in for 3 days or so. I fill it up with half water and a quarter cup of dishwasher soap (palm olive green stuff). Give it a few shakes and let it sit. Each day give it another good shake.

You could also try bleach but not sure if that's a good idea. You might get stuck with a chlorine flavor.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I forgot to rinse one once. It was terrible, but between a wash and the dishwasher, it came out. Vinegar and apple cider vinegar tend to do a good job and getting out ugly odors, but the vinegar smell might stick to your bottle, too. Worth a try, though, if you're just gonna toss em otherwise.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If you've washed them and soaked them a million times and they still stink, I would throw them out and find replacements. I try to remember to wash mine right after I use it, or at least rinse it.

Man, i wanted to avoid that so bad. I just did it to a brand new one i got last week. :'( ! I need to chill on being lazy when it comes to dishes!!!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Man, i wanted to avoid that so bad. I just did it to a brand new one i got last week. :'( ! I need to chill on being lazy when it comes to dishes!!!
    It happens to the best of us :) I forget once in a while as well, I just can't see myself washing something 200 times and it still smelling and using it anyways, I'd be gagging!
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe give vinegar and baking soda a try. Sprinkle baking soda around the bottom (a few mm thick) and pour 1/4-1/2 cup white vinegar in. Do it in the sink in case it overflows. Leave it to soak to get rid of the smell.

I make sure to rinse mine after use and chuck it in the dishwasher, I've never had any problems.
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I havent had this problem yet, but I would try Vinegar and Baking soda.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    effordent.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice.
    Nice profile pic, btw
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    White vinegar. The smell of the vinegar won't stick around, and when it dissipates, it'll take the nasty smell with it.

Sunlight also helps.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would try vinegar.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    vinegar or baking soda
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use a mason jar to mix my protein drinks. And I drink right out of the jar.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually continue to drink water from my bottle AFTER my protein drink which gets all the protein out of the nooks and crannies.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    :sick: brb, washing protein shake bottle
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best preventative measure I've found is simply rinsing the bottle very, very thoroughly with hot water IMMEDIATELY after I finish drinking it, or as soon as I can reach a sink. I know it's not always an option but I've done it in the restrooms at work or school before :P anything to prevent it getting all dried and icky!!

Once they stink, try a little bleach maybe? Dilute it in hot water and let it soak for a minute, then wash with regular soap and water. Just rinse thoroughly.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    wash them in bleach water first, then use them to blend up some lemons or oranges (without the rinds). The citrus will not only clean the inside good, it will take out the smell.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks...

Vinegar, I'm going to have to try this...
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Bleach
    :tongue:
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Now my bottle smells like Vinegar and Puke...

Does anyone make a glass shaker bottle?