No more soda

Options
KaySaver
KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
I have to tell anyone who is interested that I feel so much better now that I have stopped drinking diet soda and other diet drinks all together!

Even cutting back on white breads, starches, and sugar has made me feel so much better.

I can't wait to go back to my doctor and tell her that we can hold off on trying some new and different type of anti-depressant because just changing my diet has been incredible! I just feel so much better now.

I have been reading a few books on feeling better just by changing your diet and this book called "Unstuck" by James Gordon has really helped.

Has anyone stopped drinking soda or diet soda and noticed a change for the better?

Replies

• Elaine_M
    Elaine_M Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How did you stop drinking stop diet soda? I am so addicted, but I allow my self on one can a day. I would love to stop, so I started drinking the new crystal light pure fitness with no artificial sweeteners, flavors or preservatives.

I will check out the book.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking brewed coffee....or if I did have a cup it was decaf and I felt great......I was having headaches and they went away.

Now I drink the maxwell french vanilla light when I want a warm mug of something and while it has caffeine it never makes me sick. As for pop it's an occasional going out drink. I'll have some at the movie theatre or a restaurant and always diet, but I never crave it or need it, but I drink soooooo much water that I enjoy having soda when I do.

I'll never give up either completely but I could live 99% without it.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda too! I am glad I did my body feels so much better now then before. The taste of it is gross to me now. Way to go on kicking the soda. :drinker: Also glad to hear that you are feeling better now!:flowerforyou:
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too used to feel that I could never quit drinking soda - Diet Coke was my "friend". I remember eating dinner out with my husband and ordered a Diet Coke. I felt so awful - bloated and overfull. I was miserable. I decided to lay off the sodas altogether and I would agree - I feel tons better! I have increased the amount of water I drink, so I really don't have any desire for soda anymore. I also have reduced the amount of sugary foods/white breads I am eating, and I finally got some breakthrough in weight loss.

I would say that if you want to quit the soda, since you are only drinking one can a day, just do it! Drink a couple glasses of water
    instead and you may not even want the soda anymore.

KaySaver - glad to hear this has helped your med situation...that's great news! :smile:
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Before I started this diet or just lifestyle change, my husband and I started last year just cutting back on soda and only having it when we went out. I stopped buying it all together this year, so it's been a process. Then a few months ago I just decided to nit drink it unless we were out. Last month I just decided that I had enough of feeling bad and I wanted to change and I knew that quitting soda was a key to feeling better.

I had a few rough headaches from the caffiene withdrawl but overall, I just feel better and that is so with it.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3 Dr. Peppers a day (the regular kind!) and I only used a diet Dr. Pepper once a day at lunch as a crutch during my first week or two of dieting. Now I've completely switched over to water only. I'll drink one of the flavored water beverages or a cup of coffee once a week or so just as a "treat" but the rest of the time it's just water. I, too, feel better without the junk. There are plenty of studies/theories out there about diet pop and the damage the artificial sweeteners can do. People can become addicted to them and they can cause mental disturbances.

Congrats to you!
  • Troutman
    Troutman Posts: 28
    Options
    It will be 4 years in Aug. I gave up diet soda. I had a min. of a 12 a day; habit. I never felt better giving it up. I just felt that it had to be bad for me.
  • commit2change
    Options
    Great... like you I too stopped drinking diet cokes and it was due to my fear of all that diet sugar and the loss of a 3x3 inch patch of hair in the back of my head and it thinning so bad on my temples.

I read how Splenda that I used too also causes hair loss and thining and the horrible itching on the head that I experienced.

Now I only drink ice water with lemon juice in it. I emulsify a lemon in my blender or the nuwave twister and store it in an old plastic diet coke bottle and take it with me when I travel and pour it into my water.. Now I drink the 32 ounce water bottles about 3 or 4 a day.

Feel better too.