Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement

Options
I've been looking to take an Omega-3 supplement (possibly with EPA and DHA) for it's heart and brain benefits however I am confused about the dosage. My wife picked up a supplement from GNC that has 1560mg of Omega-3, but from the reading I've been doing only 500mg-800mg is the recommended dosage for a healthy adult male. If you have heart problems or other conditions, double that is recommended (although sources vary wildly in the amounts, I've seen some sources recommend up to 3000 mg).

I don't think it will hurt me to take more than 500-800mg, but this stuff is expensive (like $25 for a 60 day supply), whereas the generic 1000mg fish oil tablets were like $15 for a 125 day supply (roughly 1/4 the cost). I don't mind spending the extra if there is a true difference in results or quality (I realize your health is worth it), but if GNC is just overpriced and/or pumping it up with more than is needed (or if that dosage is only really for someone with a heart or blood condition) I'd rather stick with a more modest introduction to this supplement and save the money.

Supplements in question:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11838226
http://www.target.com/p/nature-made-fish-oil-1000mg-250-count/-/A-13723769?reco=Rec|pdp|13723769|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The recommended doses I've seen thrown around are 3-4grams. I'm taking omapure, which I found off of a list that was approved after quality testing. I found it pretty cheap on amazon. I got three months worth for around $60 or so.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Your target should be about 1 gram of EPA+DHA.

1000 mg of "fish oil" doesn't contain 1000 mg of EPA+DHA. Only a portion of the oil is EPA or DHA.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Your target should be about 1 gram of EPA+DHA.

1000 mg of "fish oil" doesn't contain 1000 mg of EPA+DHA. Only a portion of the oil is EPA or DHA.

^^

Normally you have an 18/12 ratio of EPA/DHA.

Meaning, 5-6 1000mg omega 3 tabs to hit EPA and maybe in reality 8 if you want to hit DHA
  • jonnythan
    Options
    FWIW, I take the "Triple strength 1400 mg fish oil" caps from Walmart. Spring Valley brand. 650 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per tablet.

It's about $14 for a bottle of 60.
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What do you folks think of Krill Oil? I had to stop taking fish oil because I almost choked to death on the tablet a couple of times--they're huge, like horse pills.
  • auddii
    Options
    What do you folks think of Krill Oil? I had to stop taking fish oil because I almost choked to death on the tablet a couple of times--they're huge, like horse pills.

I take 4 of those horse pills at night, and I down them with about 24 ounces of water. (This causes problems in the middle of the night...) Anyways, I have a few months worth, but after that, I'm thinking about just switching to one of the flavored liquids if I can find one I like and isn't super expensive. I don't know anything about krill oil. Sorry.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    As soon as I am finished with my current bottle I will be switching to Krill Oil. It's more expensive but you don't get the "burp back" or repeating (for lack of a better word). It has a higher concentration of epa/dha. Apparently Fish contain Omega 3 because they eat Krill.
  • jonnythan
    Options

As long as it has the omega-3s you want it's fine.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like the GNC supplement does have appropriate dosages, just I might be able to find a similar pill at Target or Walmart for much less. Thanks!

In general do you think GNC (or other specialty stores) are worth the markup in terms of quality, or are you just paying for the brand name where the generic brand would be just as good?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like the GNC supplement does have appropriate dosages, just I might be able to find a similar pill at Target or Walmart for much less. Thanks!

In general do you think GNC (or other specialty stores) are worth the markup in terms of quality, or are you just paying for the brand name where the generic brand would be just as good?

Generic probably better. GNC tend to farm out to the cheapest they can find...
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This product was recommended to me by a Registered Holistic Nutritionist.

http://www.ascentahealth.com/products
  • jonnythan
    Options

They probably come from the same factory. The only things worth paying more would be ones with a guaranteed supply chain.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I get like 10g a day just through diet. I LOVE flax seeds.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I get like 10g a day just through diet. I LOVE flax seeds.

To my knowledge, flax seeds contain ALA and not EPA or DHA. The ALA conversion rate to these other compounds in the body is very very low.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A growing krill fishery has the potential to have a huge negative impact on the Antarctic ecosystem.

Both Canada and the US have decided not to allow krill fisheries in their waters.

The sources of fish oil are regulated and monitored. Please consider the environmental impact of your purchases.
  • auddii
    Options
    Here's the list of "certified" fish oil supplements. I don't think there's a list of supplements that failed testing, so there probably no way to tell if your supplement failed or if it just never submitted for analysis. At least I know I'm getting what it says I'm getting.

http://www.ifosprogram.com/consumer-reports.aspx
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Options
    Thanks for certified list very helpful.
  • darkangeljanie
    Options
    I take spring valley fish oil capsules, one-3 times daily-with meal, as instructed. They go down easy and if you can't handle the capsules, there's always liquid form.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've been looking to take an Omega-3 supplement (possibly with EPA and DHA) for it's heart and brain benefits however I am confused about the dosage. My wife picked up a supplement from GNC that has 1560mg of Omega-3, but from the reading I've been doing only 500mg-800mg is the recommended dosage for a healthy adult male. If you have heart problems or other conditions, double that is recommended (although sources vary wildly in the amounts, I've seen some sources recommend up to 3000 mg).

I don't think it will hurt me to take more than 500-800mg, but this stuff is expensive (like $25 for a 60 day supply), whereas the generic 1000mg fish oil tablets were like $15 for a 125 day supply (roughly 1/4 the cost). I don't mind spending the extra if there is a true difference in results or quality (I realize your health is worth it), but if GNC is just overpriced and/or pumping it up with more than is needed (or if that dosage is only really for someone with a heart or blood condition) I'd rather stick with a more modest introduction to this supplement and save the money.

Supplements in question:
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11838226
    http://www.target.com/p/nature-made-fish-oil-1000mg-250-count/-/A-13723769?reco=Rec|pdp|13723769|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1