walking the weight off??

Options

Replies

• waferless
    waferless Posts: 16
    Options
    Walking has been my only form of exercise since I started on MFP 14 months ago. I walk on average, 60 minutes per day at an average 3.0 mph. At this particular time in my life, a gym membership just wouldn't work for me. I have managed to lose 45 pounds by sticking to a 1200-calorie diet and just walking every day. And because I have a dog, I walk EVERY day, even when I don't want to.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Like the previous posters said, you can sit on your bum all day and still lose weight. If you do however got more than 10 lbs to lose, which seems to be the case, I highly recommend doing some sort of resistance/weight training.
    I lost about 28 lbs only through walking and a good diet but I regret not exercising during that time. Now I have some lose skin that I'm trying to "tighten" up by building muscles.
    You'll get a lot nicer body with strength training so maybe you can find something that suits you? I'm also not a gym person but I found aerobics which I love!
    Good luck! :-)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Your Physial appearance is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise................
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We walk with our dogs for at least an hour every day. Our Jack Rusell terrorist is unbearable in the evening if he hasn't had his hour.

Until very recently that was our only exercise, and it's still our main exercise.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    At one point I lost about 15-20lbs over the summer between school by monitoring my calories and walking briskly for about 20 minutes per day. Just enough that I was starting to breathe harder, and could still carry on a conversation. It's a great low impact way to get in the cardio.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow great job. Congratulations!

I have walked off 48 pounds
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I love walking too. In the beginning, I was walking and doing 30DS. I think I have to wait on the circuit stuff, my knees can't handle squats and lunges. So, I'll be walking 2 miles a day until I'm light enough to lunge:smile:
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Every day--rain or shine--I walk my dog 3 times a day for 20 minutes each @ 2 mph. It only burns 159 calories but it's better than none. Since I am too ashamed of my body to go to a gym (they might laugh me out also because I'm not that coordinated), I walk with the fitness programs on On Demand on TV. Besides walking I do ab tightening exercises. I walk for about a half hour a day 5X a week with the tv. It certainly gets my heart rate up. I don't usually log those walks in my exercise diary.
    Only calorie deficit reduces weight. Exercise helps tone up my flab.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    34lbs and counting! Walking works really well!
  • RMElliott2
    Options
    Do whatever you enjoy. I walk for up to 3 hours a day. Some days I run for part of the time. On bad weather days I use an elliptical. It takes both exercise and an intelligent eating plan to loose weight. Best of luck.
  • alexanderdgray
    Options
    I use runtastic on my smartphone to track my walks--it automatically syncs calories burned with MFP.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I do leslie sansone walking dvd's which I absolutely love ...its a whole body workout ....I have 1 to 3 miles and 1 to 5 miles ...so far I am up to 3 miles without a break ....wishing you much success
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to lose weight walking. A close friend lost 20 lbs. walkng to a Lesile Sansone dvd she did at home.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I walked off the first 88lbs I lost....just give yourself mini goals.....find certain routes that take you x amount of time....after a few weeks try to increase your time/pace....add music & switch it up....certain songs certainly make me move faster...I started running to the next tree, than the next...10-20 steps...walk a bit....the next day run 20-30 steps...I'm ocd w/numbers....would run in 50 step increments....before too long I would lose count after 200 steps or so...Now i can slowly jog 2miles!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Walking has helped me tremendously. Walking along with weight lifting has been the key for me. I know I have a long way to go still, but I assume walking (eventually jogging and running) will be key.

I find you can build up your walks pretty fast too. At least I have. I was dying after 2k a couple months ago. I mean reaching for my phone to call my bro to pick me up type of tired hahaha. I never did call though and I am glad because now 5k twice a day is no problem. Once the snow is gone - I might even Couch 2 5K it up.

In terms of "speed" I try to keep a pace that wouldn't allow me to talk non stop, but I could still carry one half of a conversation.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm inspired by reading your stories! I hope I can post one in a few weeks!! :smile: Thank you all for the encouragement!
  • natecar
    natecar Posts: 11
    Options
    You can probably walk more weight off faster than almost anything else. If you can run 3 miles, you can probably walk 9. It just takes longer.
    Walking at a treadmill desk is my primary path to increasing my caloric burn. I'm walking 3-4 hours slowly at a desk every business day, covering 4-6 miles. That's over 100 calories a mile, net burn.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm not over-keen on the gym either. Walking is free, and if you have time like I do you can get most of your exercise this way if you want. I wear a Polar FT4 heart-rate-monitor, which gives calories burned, duration of exercise etc. There are better versions, but it does what I want. I eat back a percentage of what I earn through exercise, but err on the side of caution, so not too much. Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic. It's free, it's easy, you can do it anywhere. It's also good exercise, and can absolutely help with losing weight. Go for it!
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is what will cause you to lose weight.

That being said, any exercise is good for you. If you enjoy walking, go out for walks. Whatever gets you moving. Walking, jogging, running, bike riding, swimming, dancing, weight lifting, circuit training, etc.
    I agree 100%. Keep it simple.