Sit ups, I love to hate them.

Options
Hi, I hate sit ups. I don't have a membership to a gym, otherwise I would use the machine for that dreaded exercise. Is there anyway to make sit ups fun? Is there anyway to do them other than lying on the floor or on an exercise ball? Is there anyway to target those areas without doing sit ups?
Needing feedback....give me your ideas, I will try anything once.

Replies

• PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No feedback sorry, but I would also like to know because the movement of sit ups gives me a horrible headache.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXE5LOPXkVk
    Try watching this. It looks pretty good.

I don't agree with him saying that sit ups don't work because my abs definitely react. Perhaps just vary the way you do them. Basic crunches are boring. Add in legs. Do them in a plank position. Just use your legs. Vary it. Using exercise DVDs will always give you more choices because everyone does them differently.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Hi, I hate sit ups. I don't have a membership to a gym, otherwise I would use the machine for that dreaded exercise. Is there anyway to make sit ups fun? Is there anyway to do them other than lying on the floor or on an exercise ball? Is there anyway to target those areas without doing sit ups?
    Needing feedback....give me your ideas, I will try anything once.

Try adding some weights while doing them.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Planksare not a pleasant alternative but they are an efficient one! A one minute front plank is the same as 100 crunches. It takes time to build up to a minute but you might try these. There is a great 10 minute demonstration on u-tube on the merits of the plank. Besides all of us can do anything for one minute! The very best ab work-out is the bucycle crunch as it works both upper and lower at the same time and therefore is a little more efficient and I find the slight variation a little more interesting! Good luck and know that some of the things that we hate most are really good for us especially after we conquer them!
  • Elizabeth_King21
    Elizabeth_King21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't like sit ups either. Although I force myself to do crunches, but I don't like to. I don't know what all you do but something that I know has worked for a friend of mine is that she uses her abs for everything. If she's laying in bed she'll use her abs to pull herself up instead of pushing up with her arms. She also does this when she's sitting down. Instead of pushing herself up with her arms she'll use her core and legs to get herself standing. She also purposely flexes her abs anytime she bends, lifts, and twists for anything. This works for her when she's doing yard work, taking care of the kids, or doing house work. I've tried this and it does seem to be helping a bit. Just find an activity you do everyday and add this to that activity. I hope this helps some.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just started http://www.twohundredsitups.com/index.html and I'm finding the challenge is really making me push it harder. Good luck.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Turbo Jam Abs instead?? Might be a good second choice, and it's so much fun!!
  • snowangel1975
    Options
    I think I will go out and find that video. I've heard so much about it.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just started http://www.twohundredsitups.com/index.html and I'm finding the challenge is really making me push it harder. Good luck.

I'm starting this again tomorrow... along with the squat & push-up challenge. I can do regular old sit-ups all day long... love them!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    p90x abripper :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=p90x+abripper&aq=f

various medicine ball exercises like wood choppers

I have a torsonator which is awesome! But a little expensive for most.

also, turkish getups!

And:

1. Side plank then elbow to knee and hold for 3 seconds. 3 sets of 5 per side.
    2. Same thing as before but with straight elbow (pushup position basically)
    3. Lay on back, lift legs to 90deg with bent knees. Right elbow to right knee and hold for 3 secs. Alternate. 4 sets of 10 per side.
    4. Stand with left hand against wall and right hand up in air. Bring right elbow down and right knee up and hold for 3 seconds. 4 sets of 10 per side.
    5. resistance band set high. Do a pulldown as you do a knee and then hold for 3 seconds. 3 sets of 10 each side.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Doesn't really matter what you do. As long as you work your abs. Do any ab exercise you like. Crunches, leg raises, leg pulses, hanging leg raises, knee outs, ab slide... Just be creative. To think of it, I rarely do regular sit ups. I work on my abs about once a week.

If you want a small mid section, then just concentrate on buring body fat. For women, I think you need to go below 20% body fat until you see any muscles there. For guys it's about 12% BF.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I'm starting this again tomorrow... along with the squat & push-up challenge. I can do regular old sit-ups all day long... love them!!

I started all three recently and I'm loving them! I do my C25K and situps MWF and my push ups and squats TTS. It's been working really well so far.