Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i know. :( i wish they'd change that.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I ignore that. I don't eat the same calories everyday so I find it's useless for me. I am just trying to weigh and measure at intervals during my journey and base my changes off that.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well considering if you ate exactly what you entered, every day for 5 weeks and did the exact exercise. Assuming you didn't lie about your weight, you would way that much lol :)

What? Maybe i misread this. Are you saying those of us who aren't losing weight are not being honest?
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am in weight loss mode, and I find it encouraging! So far, it has been spot on.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Apparently mine has lost faith in me after a week, because I just started counting calories/exercising and logging on Monday. I've exercised every day and my calories have always been under (but not by too much) and this week I lost 1.5 lbs. Today I ate and exercised the same way I've been doing all week (actually more calories burned today) and when I clicked on it had me losing .6 lbs in the next 5 weeks.

Does it know something I don't? Can it already tell I'm going to give up?
  • carmelvalleyite
    Options
    This program is really working for me. I was allotted 1200 calories per day but have been keeping it lower than that. I started out
    eating 1200 but wasn't really losing so cut it down to about 1000 a day and that's the amount I need to lose. I found good healthy
    food that fills me up so I'm never hungry. I'm at my goal weight but am going down a bit more hoping to lose it around my mid
    section where fat loves to hang out on "mature" women. I'm finally eating veggies and cut out most red meat. Shrimp and
    chicken are my selections when I eat out and I do a lot. No more lemonade for me and only one or two glasses of wine a week.
    I like the encouragement of letting me know where my weight will be if I continue with my program. I also work out with weights and use the treadmill at 3.4 mph three times a week and do yoga once a week. Hang in there if you're at a plateau as you will overcome it. Good luck to everyone who's on this journey with me.
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have the 5 week weihg in. I wish MFP would remove it. It changes for me everyday.
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've never put any faith in the number, but I do love seeing it go down. It really does keep me motivated. When it said in 5 weeks I'd be in the 160's, I just laughed it off. Then after losing some weight & seeing that number go down to the 150's, I was super excited. When it started saying 140's, I did a happy dance. I think when it gets to the 130's, I might pass out from all the excitement!
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well considering if you ate exactly what you entered, every day for 5 weeks and did the exact exercise. Assuming you didn't lie about your weight, you would way that much lol :)

What? Maybe i misread this. Are you saying those of us who aren't losing weight are not being honest?

You misread it totally! It is pretty spot on though! And its just an estimate, people rely too much on numbers its crazy! it just says IF YOU ATE EXACTLY WHAT YOU ATE TODAY AND EXERCISED AND BURNED THE SAME EXACT CALORIES THIS IS WHAT YOU COULD WEIGH.

That is everything in your diet. Not just calories. But it is pretty accurate. I eat around the same things almost every day and following what I know and exercise I have shredded 50 lbs in 3 months. But people arent always accurate with what they eat and thats fine. I wish people would stop assuming everyone is out to get them when they say certain things. Everything ISNT an insult and I wasnt saying people are lying. good god.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That thing is so stupid.. I hate it!!I also hate when it tell me i am not eating enough calories. (Most days I do ) But if you eat 3 meals a day with snacks and you are not hungry why over feed yourself!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I like it. It has actually been pretty accurate for me. I write them down on my calendar every once in a while just to see how right or wrong it was and inevitably it's close,
  • Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    That thing is unrealistic and discouraging. I wish I would lose that weight in.. 5 months.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I use it as a guide to see how my eating that day might effect my progress is all and not as an actual guide. Ironically it was pretty spot on for my first 5 week loss.
  • jotero0406
    Options
    I like it. It has actually pretty accurate for me. I write them down on my calendar every once in a while just to see how right or wrong it was and inevitably it's close,

Not a bad idea... gonna have to try that :smile:

For me it's a motivation....
  • kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options
    It's one of my favourite things about MFP! I find it overly optimistic but inspiring.
  • Jennystimetolose
    Jennystimetolose Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It works for me I love it :)
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find it inspiring and motivational. Sure, it's always wrong, but so far I've been losing more than it's projected, so I'm happy. :) If things turn around, I'm sure my attitude about it will too.
  • SexyTmar
    SexyTmar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's a dangling carrot!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! :explode:
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like it.

And people, it's a basic calculator. MFP takes the calorie deficit they have already in place for you, adds (or subtracts) that days calories and tells you an estimate. Unfortunately your body doesn't know math so it might be off here and there. However, as was said, if you ate the same and burnt the same every single day, it would be fairly close.