Sodium Intake??

Options
I haven't even thought about tracking sodium before, but anyways I added it to my tracker and so far I've already went over by 1600, and I haven't even had dinner yet!!!! How important is sodium intake on weight loss??

Replies

• lagringaloca1
    lagringaloca1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that has so much sodium? I never even get to half my allotted amount. Sodium is going to make you hold onto water weight, and is not good for your blood pressure, that is for sure.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The sodium retains water. So you can walk around with a lot of water weight, if you lessen your sodium intake you won't hold as much water weight and you will drop some of the pounds from that.
    At least that's been my experience..
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sodium could make the body hang onto extra fluids (water weight) .. if you don't have any medical issues that would suggest you limit your sodium, then I don't see that it's TOO bad. Just make sure you drink water!
    Now that you know, start working towards limiting your intake
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, excess sodium results in water retention...also, I'm hypertensive, so I have to watch my sodium for medical reasons.
  • kimmym0324
    kimmym0324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What made me pay attention to this was I just got on the scale for a peek and I've gained 8 pounds since thur but I didn't track any fri-sun and I didn't really watch what i ate and I won't make that mistake again but anyways I about died when I seen my weight.
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My sodium is always high, as well.
    Try to limit the amount of processed foods and fast food you eat. Lots of my sodium comes from Jimmy Dean Delight breakfasts and from turkey.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    yeah sodium sucks plain and simple makes you retain too much water, I know it does for me :(
  • noelformosa
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I realized the excessive amounts of my sodium intake after I entered my daily meal diary. Unfortunately the effect of sodium is not as bad on weight as much as it is bad for hypertension and consequent heart disease, I think that we should both consider this site as a blessing as it is showing us where we are going wrong especially in our activities of daily living.

Lack of exercise is also another risk factor for heart disease and increase in blood cholesterol and triglycerides.

Let's try to turn over a new leaf and choose foods with lower sodium intakes and try to keep up with the fitness plan that this site offer, and start with some form of exercise. If we are honest with ourselves we can realize our mistakes and learn from them.

I wish good luck to all of us who have this problem, hope that when we post again we get better results.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There is quite a bit of sodium in processed foods. If you want to avoid added sodium try to limit processed foods.
    One thing that I discovered that surprised me was that boneless, skinless, frozen chicken breasts have a lot of added sodium, so if you want to save some sodium content, and eat a lot of chicken breasts, as many of us here do, use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

My grocery shopping time has increased, as I have become a label reader. I look at the labels on everything I buy now.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Calories and Sodium is all I track. The rest kind of takes care of itself for me. If I go over my Sodium by 500 mg or more I am guaranteed to see about 2 lbs on the scale the next day.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was part of a health study 4-5 years back where sodium was tracked and limited to under 2000mg a day... when my initial blood work was done i was at a baseline of 8000mg and suffering from anxiety, stress and migraines... as I reduced the sodium my body responded immediately... when I stopped tracking my processed food intake went up again and my migraines came back with a vengence....

Now I try to stay under 2500 and really focus on fruit and veggies (pickles are my current down fall) and my migraines have been under a lot better control... I think sodium is like all of the other componets of nutrition, you never want to be excessive on anything...
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    There is quite a bit of sodium in processed foods. If you want to avoid added sodium try to limit processed foods.
    One thing that I discovered that surprised me was that boneless, skinless, frozen chicken breasts have a lot of added sodium, so if you want to save some sodium content, and eat a lot of chicken breasts, as many of us here do, use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

My grocery shopping time has increased, as I have become a label reader. I look at the labels on everything I buy now.

yes the frozen chicken breasts arent all that great for you!
    stick to fresh!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I don't but I sweat.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well most of the 8 lbs is probably water weight, but if you did not track for a few days and ate whatever I am sure that would make the scale go up as well. Drink lost of water and try to stay away from the salt for a couple of days and then see what the scale says.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    if its in a box or a can. it has decent amt of sodium in it.

as people have said lots of sodium means you retain water and voila water weight.

thats why they say your best bet is to stay on the perimeter of the grocery store and the more items you have that cant be just scanned , the better you are doing.. cook it yourself from scratch when ever you can.. and push down the water especially on high sodium days
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have soup I know my sodium intake is going to be over for the day, no matter what else I eat for the day. Consequently when I weigh myself the next day my weight will be 2-3 lbs heavier than it was the day before. By tracking sodium it lets me relax and know that it is not a "real" gain. I follow it up with lots of water and it balances out over the week.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't but I sweat.

we like it when you sweat.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Like most things, it depends. Look at tallieterp's post. Compare her situation to someone on a low carbohydrate diet (especially ketogenic diet), who may need to get far more sodium than is generally recommended because of the diuretic effect of that particular protocol.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I don't but I sweat.

we like it when you sweat.

:blushing:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Water follows salt. Always. The more salt you have, the more water you'll retain. Which will probably lead to a higher number on the scale (because your weight can fluctuate by several pounds daily, simply from water alone), but ultimately, doesn't always impact your overall weight loss, since you're looking to lose fat, and that has nothing to do with water.

Ultimately, salt is most important if you're watching your cardiovascular health, because it can cause increases in blood pressure and heart workload, since water can be retained in your bloodstream with increased salt levels. If you don't have any other health issues besides the weight, I wouldn't put a ton of stock in keeping to a super-low sodium diet, because if your kidneys are good, you will clear out the excess salt without about 24-48 hours without a problem.

Just don't weigh yourself every day, because you will get a false impression, since your weight can fluctuate with water very easily. Weigh yourself less often for a more accurate idea of what you're actually losing, or else you're just measuring water loss or gain every day.