What Kind Of Support System Do You Have?

Options
Personally, I live with my Boyfriend, and our 1 year old son. My father and his girlfriend live with us. The support is there, but the what we eat support isn't. If that makes sense? Like lets order pizza, and eat a bunch of fried food, and I'm like i'm going to subway lol. I'm extremely lucky, i have a gym partner, who is my biggest support!! And MFP which helps keep me on track.

What about you?

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation! I live with my boyfriend and his dad...both are not very healthy eaters so meal times are hard. I'm also vegan which they are very much not so that also adds to the issue of being healthy at meal times! Luckily I have a somewhat reliable gym buddy, a coworker who is trying to be healthy as well who i go to a Zumba class with a a friend a few states away who I stay in touch with constantly who helped me become vegan so she keeps me on track with food :)
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation! I live with my boyfriend and his dad...both are not very healthy eaters so meal times are hard. I'm also vegan which they are very much not so that also adds to the issue of being healthy at meal times! Luckily I have a somewhat reliable gym buddy, a coworker who is trying to be healthy as well who i go to a Zumba class with a a friend a few states away who I stay in touch with constantly who helped me become vegan so she keeps me on track with food :)

I would never make it as a vegan! Good for you though!! and it definitely helps, to have a gym partner! I just wish everyone was on a diet! would make it so much easier lol!!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I would never make it as a vegan! Good for you though!! and it definitely helps, to have a gym partner! I just wish everyone was on a diet! would make it so much easier lol!!

pretty much! I started being Vegan as a personal challenge honestly believing I couldnt do it and now i dont know how i ever ate any differently!

I really wish everyone was on a diet! lol mainly the people i work with..
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I dont have any parents or family, a significant other or children or pets. I have two best friends. One is super lazy and proud of it and the other is a regionally famous rockstar who works out because it's his job to look good. My boss blames the rise and fall of the business on my waist measurement and I work and live in a place where being small and beautiful is vital.

I am my support system. I have my secret lair, my safe house and my emergency caped crusader if absolutely necessary.

I am my support system. My body is my spirit's best friend, so I support her.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    None. I am in this weight loss thing solo really. I frequent certain website and we chat there but I don't really call that support. Maybe that is why I haven't lost anymore weight since last May. I don't see how people are living with their men. That would make things a bit hard.
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    I dont have any parents or family, a significant other or children or pets. I have two best friends. One is super lazy and proud of it and the other is a regionally famous rockstar who works out because it's his job to look good. My boss blames the rise and fall of the business on my waist measurement and I work and live in a place where being small and beautiful is vital.

I am my support system. I have my secret lair, my safe house and my emergency caped crusader if absolutely necessary.

I am my support system. My body is my spirit's best friend, so I support her.

Wow, that's awesome though, i wish i had enough to be my own motivation all the time! Sometimes i just need that kick in the butt from someone else!
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    None. I am in this weight loss thing solo really. I frequent certain website and we chat there but I don't really call that support. Maybe that is why I haven't lost anymore weight since last May. I don't see how people are living with their men. That would make things a bit hard.

It definitely has its ups and downs. The ups being someone who provides encouragement, and makes me feel good. Downs being his eating habits, and the fact he is so naturally thin! And will eat a huge bowl of ice cream with chocolate on top right in front of me and not even care : (
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My husband and daughter and a couple of great motivational friends. That's pretty much it.

:) you can do it!!!
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are doing this journey together. He's got less weight to lose than me... he's only about 7lbs from his goal, but it helps to have someone fully commit with you. He eats everything that I eat and I don't have to worry about him bringing bad foods into the house, that will tempt me to eat things that aren't good for me. We do P90X together. He's a huge source of motivation for me.
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    My husband and daughter and a couple of great motivational friends. That's pretty much it.

:) you can do it!!!

your weight loss is so amazing!! good job! and thank you! I'm so lucky to have a great gym partner, she helps so much and our goals are very similar so it makes it easier!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    MFP and the mirror lol. A few people in my family/friends are coming around just based on my results and me sustaining weight loss (I was almost 190 a few years ago) But at get togethers they aren't makign sure there's anything healthy on the menu, asking me about working out etc..
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are doing this journey together. He's got less weight to lose than me... he's only about 7lbs from his goal, but it helps to have someone fully commit with you. He eats everything that I eat and I don't have to worry about him bringing bad foods into the house, that will tempt me to eat things that aren't good for me. We do P90X together. He's a huge source of motivation for me.

See im opposite of you! and jealous lol! My boyfriend is 6'4 and 154, his goal is to gain, and he buys the max junk food possible i swear!! so whereas he is a great emotional support, not so much physically lol
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I live with my two year-old, my Australian Shepherd, and my cat. I lived with my boyfriend for nearly three years, but he got a job offer 1,100 miles away that he couldn't pass up, and I'm finishing up nursing school here, so now it's just me for the next year or so. I have some good friends out here, but ultimately, my family and long-time close friends aren't anywhere nearby, so it's all comes down to me.

Which means that I have to remind myself to actually eat, because when I get stressed, I often forget, and I use working out and running as my stress reliever, so the two together don't always mean great things, haha. Thankfully, having a toddler around who requests things like "broccoli and noodles" or "rice and sauce" reminds me to stay on top of things like that.

Good luck! It's hard without a lot of great support, but as I always tell myself, "Working out is cheaper than paying for therapy". It's also my long-term insurance policy, since I don't have health insurance. Put your own spin on being healthy, make it work for you. It's all in your perspective. :)
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I dont believe in motivation anymore. I believe in self-discipline and standing by my word. I build up momentum so I cant be stopped. Starting is no big deal, building momentum is something to be proud of.
  • tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends are encouraging but honestly they do not really know me on a personal level. Getting encouragement from strangers who are going through the same journey with you is very nice to have but my absolute best support system is my husband!! He and I are doing this together. We meal plan, shop and prepare foods together and I don't think either of us would have had the success we've each had so far without the others' encouragement and discipline.

We have two teenage boys and an 8-year old at home who we also have to take into consideration when planning meals. The whole family is eating better now! To be honest, we still eat a lot of the things we have always eaten... just less of it. However, I will say that we have made a few distinct changes such as eating more chicken and fish than ground beef, whole wheat products rather than white, more baked/steamed/broiled than fried... All in all it seems to work for us.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

your weight loss is so amazing!! good job! and thank you! I'm so lucky to have a great gym partner, she helps so much and our goals are very similar so it makes it easier!
    [/quote]

Definitely helps having a gym partner with the same goals. Keeps you accountable. :)
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    I live with my two year-old, my Australian Shepherd, and my cat. I lived with my boyfriend for nearly three years, but he got a job offer 1,100 miles away that he couldn't pass up, and I'm finishing up nursing school here, so now it's just me for the next year or so. I have some good friends out here, but ultimately, my family and long-time close friends aren't anywhere nearby, so it's all comes down to me.

Which means that I have to remind myself to actually eat, because when I get stressed, I often forget, and I use working out and running as my stress reliever, so the two together don't always mean great things, haha. Thankfully, having a toddler around who requests things like "broccoli and noodles" or "rice and sauce" reminds me to stay on top of things like that.

Good luck! It's hard without a lot of great support, but as I always tell myself, "Working out is cheaper than paying for therapy". It's also my long-term insurance policy, since I don't have health insurance. Put your own spin on being healthy, make it work for you. It's all in your perspective. :)

Yes having my toddler, helps too, because i want him to eat healthy, so i always have fruits and veggies in the house! and my thing is working out is cheaper than fast food! lol anything to keep myself away from mcdonalds.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My mom, fiance and best friend are the biggest supports. I live with my mom and dad and they aren't the healthiest of eaters. Mom understands though when I make substitutions for food and make my own food.

I got a MFP request from my fiance a couple days ago and asked him about it... His answer? "You shouldn't have to do this alone. I'm behind you 100%."

My best friend is my fitness buddy. We live an hour apart, but keep each other motivated over the phone.
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    I dont believe in motivation anymore. I believe in self-discipline and standing by my word. I build up momentum so I cant be stopped. Starting is no big deal, building momentum is something to be proud of.

See i feel that way as well, i mean im proud of myself for starting, but more proud in the fact, that im accomplishing my goal!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a great support but he eats vastly differently than I do. He's 6'4", 230ish (mostly muscle) and is a contractor. So he burns so much more doing physical labor all day than I do sitting at a desk doing paperwork. He's a meat & potatoes guy so I have a small portion of whatever meat I made and load up on veggies. He also has a chocolate addiction... luckily I don't like chocolate (or most sweets) so I'm not even a little tempted to steal his snacks.