What are YOUR tricks to sticking to your diet?

Options
Along the way we all develop some tricks or find some tips to help us stick to healthy eating. What do you do?

I like to plan my food out a day in advance. That way I know I'll be sticking to my caloric goal as well as ensuring I get my necessary nutrients.

Replies

• Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I make my lunch as soon as I get home, every day, so it's all done and I don't have to worry about it. Then I go into MFP and input all the things I put in my bag, so it's all set. It's a great idea. I also lay out the clothes and jewelry I'm going to wear the next day, but that's something else...
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am calling it a lifestyle change, not a diet. And my trick to sticking to the change is this:

I don't limit ANY food. Yes, I had a donut this morning because I was craving it for the whole weekend. I have to say it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but that isn't the point.

The point is that the donut fits into my calories for the day so I made the choice to have it and limit my other food choices until dinner.

As a former anorexic it is important that I don't cut out a food group, no matter what. This works for me and I have stuck to the changes for a full month now.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    -Plan and enter my meals/snacks for the next day the night before, with wiggle room, just in case.
    -Enjoy vacations as a vacation from calorie restriction
    -Don't beat myself up over going over calories every now and again
    -Have specifically planned cheat meals or days that I know are coming up and motivate me to stick to my guns until I get there
    -Will-power and determination
    -Only I control what I eat or don't eat. Nobody is force feeding me so I accept all choices made as my own
    -Log something before you decide to add it to your day, then you know how it will look within your plan
    -Know that there will be temptations, frustration, sadness, wanting, cheating, sacrifice, and hard work involved, and be ready to face it all.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I "power cook" on Sundays. I cook enough chicken to last me all week and eat this for lunch and sometimes for dinner.

I do all of my shopping on the weekends too. I make sure I have the food I need for the entire week.

Plan, plan, plan. When I don't plan, that's when I have to eat out or make food choices that are not healthy or make me go over my cals.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well, I no longer think of this as a diet. This is a lifestyle that I want to live with forever. I do not consider anything as a cheat day or food. If I want it, I have it, I log it. I plan in advance and know if I'm going out or having a heavier meal that I need to eat accordingly. I am not perfect and can expect to go over my calories but I don't stress on the occasion that I have or will. I plan my meals in advance to help me prepare for my day and week. I exercise every day before work and stay active on the weekends. I read up on new meal ideas as well as health and fitness articles and log into MFP daily. It helps keep things fresh, gives me new ideas and helps me stay honest. Good luck on your journey ! :smile:
  • d4ggl3s
    d4ggl3s Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Probably the most important factor for me is that my boyfriend is also dieting with me. Having everyone in the house on the same page not only keeps us both motivated and accountable, but prevents temptation.

I'm doing low-carb so the diet is somewhat restrictive; I have nothing in the house I "can't" eat, like breads, starches, and sweets, and I don't eat out unless I know exactly what I'm going to have. Unlike yensidtoon I find it easier to stick to limiting food as opposed to having access to everything and just counting calories. This just goes to show that everyone can accomplish the same end goal by taking very different paths, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Also, LOG ALL THE THINGS.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My trick? Get naked.

I got into the habit of not really looking at myself when I put on weight, so I didn't have to acknowledge that it was happening. Now that I am making a conscious effort to be healthier, I find that when I am home alone if I cook/clean/whatever naked I am forced to see what I've let happen. Also I look in the mirror when I get out of the shower instead of waiting until I have clothes on to look.

And when I'm home alone is when I am most likely to mindlessly snack; if I have to go into the kitchen naked I have to pass two mirrors and that makes me remember why I'm trying to make changes and stops the snacking most of the time.

ETA: this clearly would not work for all living situations heheh. I happen to live alone with my boyfriend and he certainly doesn't mind but even if you have kids or something, take one look in the mirror a day at all the things you are and aren't happy about and I bet it'll help
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I like to enter it all in the morning and then 'complete' my entry. This way, I can see if I am on track with what I plan to eat for the day. If I want an extra snack I'll make better choices. I like to 'complete' the entry because it's a good reminder what I could weigh in 5 weeks if I stick to it!

Every day I eat a treat, something that I enjoy and it's usually at dinner time.
  • irvingaescobar
    Options
    The key is to not refer to it as a diet. It's a lifestyle change!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My trick? Get naked.

I got into the habit of not really looking at myself when I put on weight, so I didn't have to acknowledge that it was happening. Now that I am making a conscious effort to be healthier, I find that when I am home alone if I cook/clean/whatever naked I am forced to see what I've let happen. Also I look in the mirror when I get out of the shower instead of waiting until I have clothes on to look.

And when I'm home alone is when I am most likely to mindlessly snack; if I have to go into the kitchen naked I have to pass two mirrors and that makes me remember why I'm trying to make changes and stops the snacking most of the time.

Working for me too!! Personally, as my weight crept up I just started more and more avoiding mirrors. Took to wandering down the hall while brushing my teeth etc lol... I am not where I want to be yet, the improvements are showing in the reflection for sure!! Almost wish I took detailed before pics!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I am calling it a lifestyle change, not a diet. And my trick to sticking to the change is this:

I don't limit ANY food. Yes, I had a donut this morning because I was craving it for the whole weekend. I have to say it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but that isn't the point.

The point is that the donut fits into my calories for the day so I made the choice to have it and limit my other food choices until dinner.

As a former anorexic it is important that I don't cut out a food group, no matter what. This works for me and I have stuck to the changes for a full month now.

^^^ this lifestyle change. No going back, not ever.
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    mines simple and works for me, i look at every food as a calorie, whats it made of, how much can I have.

I'm a clean eater, never touching processed foods, I do have treats, but I earn them to have them.

You really are what you eat :0)
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I eat a little protien at various times and the healthy fats at various times during the day to keep my hunger under control and not letting the bad junk snacks enter the household!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I eat what i want, when I want - but in small portions/in moderation. i dont deny any foods.

it's all about balance.
    My trick is to stay under my calorie's allowed each day.

It's quite simple.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps *most* of the time. Sometimes my day throws me a curve ball and I end up eating something different.

I sometimes have to remind myself that I can have whatever I'm craving another day or reminding myself that a small portion is okay because I can have more another time. I don't have to EAT ALL THE FOOD. lol.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have dieted so many times before and the main thing that I am doing different is that I am telling everyone. Before, when I didn't tell anyone, when I failed at it no one knew. Now that I have told everyone, everywhere, I refuse to fail with all these people watching. It works for me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No tricks. I'm fully committed to enjoying my life. I run, lift weights, track calories and enjoy bacon.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    getting naked! Duh who would a thunk! Yes looking at yourself in the mirror is harsh reality and sometimes it will just get you down. I prefer the scale! It's alot prettier than the actual mirror image!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a diet, just "the way I eat".

And, (this will be unpopular) I don't eat foods I know trigger cravings in me, and don't work well for me. I just don't eat them. Maybe on vacation, but that's about it.
    12 years ago I cut out beer, white bread, and sugar that isn't fruit and most junk foods. It works for me.
    I quickly got to goal weight and kept the weight off for 12 years.

I'm now keeping a closer eye on things, due to midlife changes (wink wink). And am counting every calorie in addition to the changes I made 12 years ago.

I also exercise almost daily, and definitely move a lot daily. That is a way of life for me. But I've found things I enjoy, so that helps.