First Race next weekend 5k

Options
Hello all you MFPers. I have my first race on St. Patrick's day next Saturday. I have been training and know I'll be able to at least finish the race though I plan to do more than that.

It has been cold and due to no cold running gear and being overweight, I haven't been road running. Mainly treadmill or track.

My question is, what do I do with the time I have before the race. Do I really hit it hard this week, try to do some road running when/where I can? Do I take it easy and just let my training do the work next weekend? I know it's only a 5k, but it is actually a good distance for me.

Something to keep in mind is I have another 5k the week after but it is more "fun" since it is a zombie 5k. Any thoughts, ideas, and words of wisdom are welcome!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Personally, from MY experience.

I always trained on a treadmill, so roadwork isn't a necessity (although you'll get about 75 replies telling you to get outside), but it's up to you.

I personally never let off the gas the week of the race. I ran my normally training routine M-Th, I might throw in an extra run on the day before, depending how I feel.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Is it a timed/chipped race or just a fun run? For a race you should taper off a few days before and not run the day before. For a fun run, do whatever you want. If you're consistently running 5K now it won't be much different and you usually get enough adrenalin pumping on race day to pick up your speed.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Is it a timed/chipped race or just a fun run? For a race you should taper off a few days before and not run the day before. For a fun run, do whatever you want. If you're consistently running 5K now it won't be much different and you usually get enough adrenalin pumping on race day to pick up your speed.

It is a timed/chipped race. I'm hoping for the adrenalin boost and I'm not consistently running anything yet, but I'm going to progress to a couple 5k's a 8k, and 10k by the end of the year. Next year work on my half and full.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I run outside and treadmill. I found going from 100% treadmill to outside did feel harder for me. I now incline the treadmill so that it's more like outside running. If you have been running w a slight incline i bet you will be fine. If not just slow down when you need to.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the incline. Jog/run at an incline of at least 4 (out of 15).
    I'm not a big runner, but when I do 5K's, I run the week before a mentioned above, but take the day before off and usually tear up some pizza (seriously).
  • krobin99
    krobin99 Posts: 1
    Options
    Theres nothing you can do the week before the race to make yourself run any faster. You are where your training has put you. The key is to run fresh and rested. I would scale the mileage back by 20% and keep the intensity the same. Only an easy 2 mile run the day before, just to keep the legs fresh. 10 minutes before the race do about a mile to warm up. There is a tendacy to go out too fast esspecially in your first race. Hold back a little and save some for the last mile. 1/2 mile before the finish use up what ever is left in the tank.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    While less entertaining, treadmill running is a little easier than road running. make sure you are at a slight incline while on the treadmill so you feel a little resistance.

As for the 5k race day - give yourself a day or two OFF of any running prior to race day. That way you are rested and ready to go. the 5k will be perfect for you. Being around that many people all at once doing the same thing you are doing, will give you a super load of andrenaline and you'll pull through with great timing. Just enjoy the run, and if you are out to set a certain time - push yourself on the last 2 miles.

good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Do not hit it hard this week. It takes up to two weeks for the adaptations from any particular workout to take hold in the body. So, doing hard workouts this week will only leave you more tired when the race starts on Sat. Do your normal training this week except keep the pace easy. Take the day before the race as a rest day to be sure to arrive at the start line rested.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    I just completed Tough Mudder in February. It was 12 miles & 25 military style obstacles. From my experience I realized that I should have ran outside instead of only on a treadmill. Outside running was different, probably because we ran in a desert. I didn't train the day before but did do light gym work the week of. Have fun! :smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is a tendacy to go out too fast esspecially in your first race. Hold back a little and save some for the last mile. 1/2 mile before the finish use up what ever is left in the tank.
    Good advise.

The first mile should feel fast, but relatively easy. The second mile should feel harder, but doable without too much struggle. The third mile should feel like you died and went to hell.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hello all you MFPers. I have my first race on St. Patrick's day next Saturday. I have been training and know I'll be able to at least finish the race though I plan to do more than that.

It has been cold and due to no cold running gear and being overweight, I haven't been road running. Mainly treadmill or track.

My question is, what do I do with the time I have before the race. Do I really hit it hard this week, try to do some road running when/where I can? Do I take it easy and just let my training do the work next weekend? I know it's only a 5k, but it is actually a good distance for me.

Something to keep in mind is I have another 5k the week after but it is more "fun" since it is a zombie 5k. Any thoughts, ideas, and words of wisdom are welcome!

if your zombie 5k is anything like the one i did last year yes they are fun but oh boy the obstacles are tough! since i lacked arm strength i struggled with muddy hill rope climb and nearly broke out into tears crawling through the under ground (literally the dug out earth) tunnels. the best was running on the platforms over water and climbing the hay bales.

okay enough of that. i've learned from past mistakes NOT to run a day or two BEFORE a race. never a good thing. i now get in a short run 3-4 days before a race then stick with light strength training. i also watch what i eat (more lean protein than anything else) but that's because i have heart burn /lactose issues.

check out the course - even if it's online. if they use descriptions like rolling hills or slight inclines there will be hills and you should add at least some incline to your run before hand. my very first race was an 8k and i only trained on a treadmill and indoor track.

the most important tip i can give you: HAVE FUN!!!!!
  • sanibelshell
    sanibelshell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No matter what- don't stop running if everyone else around does. I ran my first 5K after training on my elliptical. The race went down High St in Columbus, OH and for some reason we were merged into 2 lanes from 4 while going uphill. Everyone started walking at that point, and I did too. I was never able to get my stride back and never reached that point where I could just keep running. Be aware there will be lots of people around and mentally block them out and focus on yourself.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    This is really just a situation where you will know best, because you know your body. I have a 5K on Sunday, and I know if I do my normal routine, I will be fine to run on Sunday, but if this was a midweek race, on a Wednesday, I would have to switch things up so my body isn't to tired for the race, because I usually do my longest runs on Mondays, and Tuesdays. Don't worry about going for some road runs right now, just expect your times to be a little bit slower, because of hills, and weather conditions.
  • RGv2
    Options
    While less entertaining, treadmill running is a little easier than road running.

I find it harder.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There is a tendacy to go out too fast esspecially in your first race. Hold back a little and save some for the last mile. 1/2 mile before the finish use up what ever is left in the tank.
    Good advise.

The first mile should feel fast, but relatively easy. The second mile should feel harder, but doable without too much struggle. The third mile should feel like you died and went to hell.

Awesome! Your description of the last mile really gets me pumped for the race for some reason!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Good advise.

Awesome! Your description of the last mile really gets me pumped for the race for some reason!

and the .10 you are going to feel like you could lift a car with one hand. that last .10 is a HUGE HUGE GIGANTIC RUSH for me.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    While less entertaining, treadmill running is a little easier than road running.

I find it harder.

Treadmill is easier as it has no resistance to any types of weather such as wind and then also unless you are using inclines - you dont get the 'real feel' of running such as outside with bumpy terraine, up and down grooves, hills, etc.
  • RGv2
    Options

I find it harder.

Treadmill is easier as it has no resistance to any types of weather such as wind and then also unless you are using inclines - you dont get the 'real feel' of running such as outside with bumpy terraine, up and down grooves, hills, etc.

Um, OK. Thanks for letting me know how I feel.

I've been running competitively over a decade, I find running on the treadmill harder.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Keep training like you normally would, but make sure to cross train every 2 days to keep yourself from getting injured and your body from wearing out. Don't run a longer distance atleast 4 days before your race. Walk a mile and then maybe run an easy paced mile and call it a day. Cycle on a stationary bike to keep endurance up and eat some carbs the night before or a nice carb breakfast. Good luck!! That's so exciting!