Exercise when sick?

Options
I caught my son's cold that's more than a cold. It has moved into my lungs. Several days ago we got an Elliptical Trainer. I LOVE it! The very next day I did 30 minutes. The following day I could only do 10. I had gotten the early stages of the cold. Doing more than 10 minutes is virtually impossible because I can't breathe well because of the cold. And any exertion, laughing or talking causes a horrible choking cough.

So should I be doing this, or should I be taking a few days off? I have had no energy for a few days now and all I want to do today is sleep, but I think I should be hitting the Elliptical.

My HRM should arrive today and I keep telling myself I will exercise when it arrives. But in my heart I think I should be resting.

Please tell me what you think!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ummm... horrible choking cough while exercising and you WANT to have that happen? Goodness sakes - why stress your body more? Rest and get well. The Elliptical will be there when you feel better. New toys are fun, but making yourself more sick isn't.
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If it was just the sniffles, I'd say go for it. However, if it's in your lungs, I wouldn't exercise. Take a break & rest up. Your body is trying to fight the illness, so let it do its thing.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb for exercising & colds is: above the neck i.e. head cold, sinus congestion, sore throat is a go. Anything below your neck, i.e. chest congestion, stomach pains, body aches/fatigue then rest.

LIke someone else mentioned, your body is fighting off an infection and trying to heal - let it do it's thing.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Not with those symptoms.

Common MFP-wisdom is if its a head cold, go ahead and exercise, anything else, rest. However, I will say that every coach/trainer/PT/sports medicine dr. I've ever had has told me not to be an idiot about it and rest up. You don't generally do yourself any favors, and its only a few days off. It's not like you're going to lose a race or miss out on qualifying for the Elliptical Olympics because of it, so just take it easy.
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the answers. I was not sure. I love exercising and have not taken a break so was planning on doing it today, but now I will rest up and hope I am better soon!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You said " I have had no energy for a few days now and all I want to do today is sleep". I think that pretty much sums up what you should be doing. Listen to your body! We all get so obsessed with the diet and workout, sometimes we forget to take it easy too. Rest and get well first.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree! Listen to your body!! Feel better!