What was your AH HA! moment to get started?

Options
13»

Replies

• aradje01
    aradje01 Posts: 12
    Options
    Looking back at pictures taken months ago and realizing how much skinnier I looked, even though it was not that much more weight. ):
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Regaining the 50 pounds I had lost some years back didn't do it. Adding 20 more didn't do it. Going to work at an emergency walk in clinic started to do it, but I just couldn't commit completely once I lost 18 pounds I just kinda gave up again.

The REAL AH HA moments came at my new job. 1) When I realized that I was out of breath every time I went up three flights of stairs to the surgical floor. 2) When I saw all the health problems my very heavy patients had that I do not want. and 3) When some of the people I was newly working with had a "Who can loose 10 pounds first?" contest. I secretly decided I would do it without telling anyone....and I couldn't :-( I decided the size 16 jeans that were too small, the breathlessness, the healthy coworkers, and my scale having me up another 7 again were ENOUGH! I was at 209 then and weighed in at 169.8 Friday! It's taken me some 7 months (aprox) to get here but I didn't do really good till I found MFP :-)

OH, and the pictures were depressing me too, just not enough on their own to get me up and loosing.
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have nearly always been a bigger guy. I played football in my younger years and moreover I played the offensive line so size was part of the equation. I have always been most comfortable about 60 or even a little more pounds over what any chart would say was ideal for me. I am 6'3 and I carried my weight most of the time pretty well. However, in the summer of 09 a pretty major accident changed my way of life. I really settled in and became very sedentary. No more 25 or 30 mile bike rides just because I felt like it. No more significant hikes into the woods just because I enjoyed it. Pain just pretty much stopped me from living the life I used to live. That the was the start of watching all my blood levels go from borderline to full blown bad. Blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides as the start. But that wasn't enough. Every single time I had my A1C checked it would move up another .2 or .3. Now realize I was having blood work, and still do, about every 10 weeks or so. Anyway, for about a year I put off the diabetes meds as I just kept telling my doctor that I would get it under control. Finally readings were just to bad and my eyes started messing with me. I started the 'betes meds in September and went from glucose readings that was just a little bad to glucose readings that was very bad. That was while on the meds. My A1C still climbed another .4 in that same September to January.

So the punchline to the long story. The last day of January I was at the doctor and seen the last bump up in A1C as we sat and reviewed the higher readings on the glucose meter. We could not figure out in the office why I was having decent readings in October but about a week into November they just went south. The doctor started me on my second diabetic medication that day. Well, when I went home I really thought it over. It dawned on me that in October I was going for short walks of about 40 minutes. My Ah Ha moment happened that night and I decided that on Feb. 1 I would begin my quest to take off as much of the 120 pounds that I put on since the accident and that step one would be to get moving and get the diabetes under control.

I can tell you that my ticker says that I am down 7lbs but really I am down at least 18. My glucose readings have been wonderful and I am only taking half the medication I am supposed to. I have been getting about an average of a 50 minute walk in each day and I bought a Body Media reader. I then found this MFP site and I have got to say that looking at the numbers was a second AH HA moment.

That's it for me for now. I am sorry to make that so long but it is what it is and I could not think of how to say it other than the way I did.
  • copiousmusings
    Options
    I am a nanny. There is another nanny for the family. And she's gorgeous! Really! And the children are all tiny! And the parents are both in shape. And I vacation with them. And when I'm with all of them I feel like this GIGANTIC WHALE. I was uncomfortable in the plane because I'm so large. The rides were uncomfortable to strap into. I didn't feel like Disney was the happiest place on earth because I felt so winded and disgusting when I was sweating like a pig. But, this time around, I'm going to FEEL great and HEALTHIER by the time we go to Disney in September :)
  • lessofme150
    lessofme150 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A couple of things were my AH HA moments! I had lost my cousin to suicide in April 2012 and gained quite a bit of weight right afterwards. I had hit the highest weight I have EVER been in July 2012 and felt gross about myself. A week later I went to a bar to meet up with some old highschool classmates and saw a picture posted on facebook that was taken that night (picture on the left in my profile pic). I was huge and realized how unhappy I really was! A few weeks later I stumbled across MFP and setup a profile. I realized that I had to do something about me and that I couldn't let the death of my cousin run or ruin my life. I haven't had perfect days since I joined and some days I think I should be a lot further ahead than I am. Then I think about how far I have come both phyiscally and mentally and am glad that I am trying and suceeding, even slowly.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I had what I thought were Ah HA! moments in the past and they ultimately lead me no where.

This time, there was no Ah HA! moment. There was a simple 'I might as well give it a try'.

Funnily enough, I'm still at it.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'd been on blood pressure medication for 13 years.. and it maintained my pressure at an even 120/80.
    But, a couple of years ago, for several quarterly Dr check-ups in a row, my blood pressure was sitting at 130/82 ish... regardless of me trying (or so I thought) to cut back on sodium.

On voicing my concern about this, my Dr said something along the lines if 'well, you are getting older, and often with age our bodies re-define what is NOW 'normal' and this may just be a level that is your new 'normal'... these things happen with aging'

Older! Aging!
    He could not have used a better choice of words to finally motivate me to get my act together, as I fully intend (now) to age in as healthy a manner as possible! (so that I can spend a good long time aging .. am 56 now *S*).

The result? Last September my Dr took me off my blood pressure med., leaving me only on the diuretic now (I have had retention issues all my life). 6 months without it now, and he is confident I am doing fine and don't need to go back on it. woohoo!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I knew I'd put on a lot of weight with my 2nd baby,but until she'd been born I didn't realise just how much! I felt massive and uncomfortable, and my thighs rubbed together. I wanted to look good with my gorgeous baby girl and not feel embarrassed to take my kids out.

So, I was back in the gym when she was 7 weeks old! Now she's 21 months and I'm 60lbs lighter and slimmer than I've been in the past 10 years!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 this year. I want to be healthy and active for many more decade so it was time to get at it.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    When my Doctor told me that if I did not change my life I would not make it to 50. I was about to turn 46 at the time! He told me that it was not a question of "if" I was going to have a heart attack or stroke, but "when".!

Since then I have lost almost 90 lbs. I lift weights 2 - 3x per week, run 2 - 3 x per week and my JKD brown belt test is coming this fall.

It turns out that my AH HA! moment was the best thing that could have happened!
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had several AH HA! moments. The last one was my brother calling me Fatty McButter pants at Christmas time. That is the name we used to call overweight people when we were kids.(Cruel I know). We are now 46 & 42!:happy:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    deciding to buy slip-on shoes because tying my shoes was such a workout that I would be literally panting and sweating after I got them both tied. Instead of buying slip-on shoes I re-bookmarked MFP and reinstalled the app on my phone and got started. That was 2 weeks ago, if even, and I'm 8lbs down already?? I didn't know I held so much water! I can't really do any better of a job tying my shoes yet but I know it will be easier one day!
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Getting a printout from the doctor saying 191 pounds and refusing to let my husband see it purely because of the number that was on it. I don't want to feel so embarrassed by my weight that my husband has to be in the dark...
  • xynubz
    xynubz Posts: 2
    Options
    I think when I realised what was causing Depression. I have always been fat growing up and somehow eating logs of cheese and butter satisfied me.I dont want to blame anyone but myself for that BUT one way or other the reason was always home or relationships. I recently moved back to home and the emptiness is returning in form of "the depression". I couldnt believe it for a while but my A+ university degrees and exceptional professional life records still doesnt mean anything. So I think if this isnt my aha moment I dont know what will be. Am done feeling sorry for myself, being the victim and being the punch bag for others. I WILL set things right, one at a time and weight management is going to be the first thing.
  • xynubz
    xynubz Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW! Amazing
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Realizing that this summer my baby boy is big enough to run around and be really active. Knowing that I want him to have positive role modles in his life and want him to play outside. So many kids these days sit in front of their (put any expensive electronical device here) and just waste away.