Body Fat Index: where's my waist?

Options
62 yr old male halfway through goal of a BMI in the mid healthy range and better prospects of keeping the heart attack away. One aspect of the progress is that the 33 in. waist pants in the closet are now just about wearable (the 34s were getting tight when I started). That progress aside, I can't figure out what to measure for the body fat calculator. I do have a bit of a (what should we call it) beer belly. If I don't stand like a Marine and measure at the largest, I get an absurd 39" (and 28+ BFI). If I use 33 or 34, I get a non-threatening 19+. I can't find a place when relaxed to measure less than 36 or 37 inches. Besides more sit ups, what should I do to track body fat?

Replies

• RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    My understanding is you measure right above the belly button. And so far from what I've read on here is the only thing you can do about body fat is cardio. Good luck to you!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Forget BMI. That number is meaningless. More so as we get older (and shorter).
    Ask your doctor or and wellness nurse at your fitness club. My doctor told me that the more accurate method is calipers. But all measures are just estimates.
    And don't use the waistline on your pants. Use a tape measure. Men's pants can be 4 or more inches larger than the stated size. I know because I measured a few new pair. Total vanity sizing. Only dress clothes seem to be honest sized.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap, plain and simple. Instead, you should measure your success by the way you feel and how you look in the mirror. There's just too many factors that it doesn't account for to even give it a modicum of validity.

To answer your question, the natural waist is normally measure one inch above the belly button. Also, don't waste your time with situps because they won't help at all in decreasing your body fat. Eat at a deficit, do some moderate cardio, and strength training. Those are the only 3 things that will reduce your body fat percentage.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming since you're trying to measure your waist you mean Body Fat not BMI. Your waist is the narrowest part of your abdomen. Even with a beer belly you must have a slight indentation on your side somewhere just above your hip bones. You can take the measurement with your belly sucked in. With it out isn't a measurement of fat but of poor muscle control in your abs.
  • aneedell
    aneedell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming since you're trying to measure your waist you mean Body Fat not BMI. Your waist is the narrowest part of your abdomen. Even with a beer belly you must have a slight indentation on your side somewhere just above your hip bones. You can take the measurement with your belly sucked in. With it out isn't a measurement of fat but of poor muscle control in your abs.

OK, so I stand like a Marine and measure with a tape at the narrowest part? Here's what I'm working with:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rKBO0_XcNcw/USjplcUo2yI/AAAAAAAAAIk/geejcXFWw18/w180-h240/20130223_110711.jpg
  • aneedell
    Options

OK, so I stand like a Marine and measure with a tape at the narrowest part?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Forget BMI. That number is meaningless. More so as we get older (and shorter).
    Ask your doctor or and wellness nurse at your fitness club. My doctor told me that the more accurate method is calipers. But all measures are just estimates.
    And don't use the waistline on your pants. Use a tape measure. Men's pants can be 4 or more inches larger than the stated size. I know because I measured a few new pair. Total vanity sizing. Only dress clothes seem to be honest sized.

No one is talking about BMI.
  • aneedell
    Options
    No one is talking about BMI.

Actually, I did start by saying BMI, but I meant Body Fat %. Is there a good chart that indicates the range of BF% healthy for various ages and lifestyles (marathon runners and casual exercisers)?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    The narrowest part of my midsection is still below my hip bone :):bigsmile:
    I refer to it as the belt line because that is where my pants sit comfortably and where my belt goes. I have never worn pants at what tailors call the "waist." That was only narrower than my belt line when I was underweight at 155 to 165 pounds.
  • aneedell
    Options
    THIS ---->
    I refer to it as the belt line because that is where my pants sit comfortably and where my belt goes. I have never worn pants at what tailors call the "waist." That was only narrower than my belt line when I was underweight at 155 to 165 pounds.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    But most men's pants are design to be worn much higher than most men wear them. The result is pants that look like you are carrying a load:bigsmile:

i only buy jeans and pants that specifically say "sit below the waist." No more loaded pants look.
  • aneedell
    Options
    Your waist is the narrowest part of your abdomen. Even with a beer belly you must have a slight indentation on your side somewhere just above your hip bones. You can take the measurement with your belly sucked in. With it out isn't a measurement of fat but of poor muscle control in your abs.
    But this, to me, makes little sense for calculating Body Fat %. Surely that figure is higher if above "the narrowest part of your abdomen" there is a large store of "belly fat" (the kind the cardiologists warn you about) than it is for someone that tapers up more gradually to the chest measurement.

My take is that short of some water boyancy or caliper measurment, online fat% calculators are near worthless. Is that right?
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Men measure at the belly button as per most calculators I've seen. You are right, measuring where your pants sit would give a false lower number. The "narrowest part" rule is for the ladies although under your bust is never ever your waist! LOL
  • aneedell
    Options
    Thanks Roni_M, you're an inspiration. And from your images I congratulate you on what is now so clearly a "narrowest part." Looking forward soon to significant narrowing on my own.:ohwell:
  • aneedell
    Options
    Anyone care to comment on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjNj_v2G_o
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I still have got a bit more belly to get rid of but I'm down 16.5" in the waist so far. I have 18lbs to go to get to my original goal (healthy BMI) and then I'll re-evaluate. As you could see, I'm kind of hourglass/pear shaped so will likely always be at the upper end of the BMI chart which I'm perfectly fine with (plus hubby likes a little softness when cuddling LOL).

I think the video you found is pretty accurate. I have been measuring 1" above my belly button and just consistently measure the same spot for the sake of tracking.

Good luck getting narrow!! If I can do it, truly... anyone can. :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks for pointing this important fact out: As we humans age, BMI means not the same, and is considered a useless tool by many. Yes, oftentimes folks make blanket statements about what is "right." ... for what? EVERY BODY? Thanks for posting.