Eating carbs for dinner?

Options
Hi everyone! I need some advice here, and I am not aiming to offend anyone.
I was wondering if I have carbs for dinner,fitting my macros and my cals, am I more likely not to loose weight? It might sound a bit stupid, but I have heard some people doesnt eat carbs after 4pm,or 5 pm or after breakfast,I am a bit lost.Thanks for your help guys

Replies

• tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Never heard that one before. I'm no nutritionist, but I think it's safe to say that is not true. The vast majority of people on here eat carbs after 4pm and are losing weight just fine!
  • snowflake266
    Options
    I am just worried I won't use the energy of the carbs as its late,and it will become fat...maybe its just me being stupid :)
  • cynfy16
    cynfy16 Posts: 35
    Options
    I am not an expert on nutrition but I have been pretty consistent with my meals regarding carbs, except on my cheat days ha. But you just gotta be smart about your carb intake as well as what types of carbs. Do your best (even though now a days its a little difficult) to take in unprocessed carbs, try to look for organic and whole grains. If I have pasta or some sort of bread at dinner which for me, because of my work schedule is around 8 or later, i make sure I focus on portion control. It is really easy to over eat with carbs so just be smart about it and it won't effect your weight loss too much. I eat occasional carbs and treats it is all about moderation and working out.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No it will not prevent you from losing weight.

Whether or not you burn off what you eat before you go to bed is irrelevant provided that you are in a net energy deficit over time.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can eat carbs, or anything else for that matter, any time of day or night. Think of it like putting fuel in your car in the evening. You will use it up when you drive to work the next day. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. It's really that simple, despite people's desperate efforts to make it seem complicated.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can eat carbs, or anything else for that matter, any time of day or night. Think of it like putting fuel in your car in the evening. You will use it up when you drive to work the next day. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. It's really that simple, despite people's desperate efforts to make it seem complicated.

this.
    a lot of people don't eat carbs at night, or eat very low carb. carbs in junk food obviously aren't good to eat at night, but carbs in natural foods like veggies and fruit are great any time of the day.
  • snowflake266
    Options
    Thanks so much for your answers! you are very helpful and the car's fuel example makes it super clear...Its true sometimes people make things a lot harder,including me.Can you tell me how you distribute your calories during the day? thanks :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your answers! you are very helpful and the car's fuel example makes it super clear...Its true sometimes people make things a lot harder,including me.Can you tell me how you distribute your calories during the day? thanks :)

Caloric distribution will vary from person to person and I would absolutely recommend that you let your own preferences dictate how you distribute your calories. Choose what matches your lifestyle/preferences and choose whatever you feel is easiest such that you meet your end-of-day needs as far as total calories and nutrients go.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Caloric distribution will vary from person to person and I would absolutely recommend that you let your own preferences dictate how you distribute your calories. Choose what matches your lifestyle/preferences and choose whatever you feel is easiest such that you meet your end-of-day needs as far as total calories and nutrients go.

Agreed. I tend to prefer more frequent smaller meals. Other people tend to prefer more infrequent larger meals. I would leave this up to your personal preferences. And you can adjust when circumstances dictate - for example, if you know you're going out to big splurgy dinner, then you could eat a little lighter during the day in order to splurge more at night. Or if you know you will be very busy during the day, you might, for example, eat a huge breakfast to hold you over. Stuff like that.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    You can eat carbs at any time you please. Even if I made my boyfriend feed me bagels as I sleep I would still lose weight if I had a caloric deficit.
  • snowflake266
    Options
    :laugh: U made me laugh
  • snowflake266
    Options
    Thank you guys for your answers, there is so much info in this website that sometimes it gets confusing! :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat your carbs. So long as you stay in your calorie goal and hit your macro goals, you'll be fine, but timing of nutrient intake is irrelevant in terms of fat loss.