Hey, another "I'm not losing" thread!

Options
It’s taking a lot for me to write this because I know it’s noting but one big whine fest. But I think that if there were somewhere to get help, this would be the place to get it.

Early last month, on accident, I got a really good look at myself in the mirror. Boy, do I ever jiggle. :( I had to do something.

On February 14th, I decided I was going to go all in and start eating better and exercising most days. I signed up for MFP and I bought a Zumba DVD set and off I went with positive thoughts.

I have been using the Zumba disks 40 to 75 minutes every day. I enjoy it, so I have taken only two rest days since the 14th. I ordered Hip Hop abs; they should be here any day now.

I made a choice to make positive changes to my diet at well. I admit that I don’t eat clean by any means, but I don’t eat a lot of fast food, I think I get enough protein and sometimes I’ll even eat carrots for a snack.

Here is my issue. I have not seen any results. I think I may have lost 2 or 3 pounds (I’ll explain in a minute) but otherwise I have yet to see any changes. I was hoping that my clothes would start feeling a little less tight by this point, but they haven’t. I lost about a half inch from my hips, but that’s about it.

Now, before I started logging what I ate, I would go through two or three boxes of Cheeze-its every week. I would have two or three helpings for dinner, and I ate a lot of potato chips for lunch. Yet somehow I maintained my weight. It seems logical to me that now that I am not doing any of those things, I should be losing some weight, but it’s not happening. And needless to say I’m getting discouraged.

To add insult to injury, I bought a new scale yesterday. The new scale is off by about 5 pounds from my old scale, and the difference is NOT in my favor. L

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I don’t expect miracles, but I did expect something tangible in two and a half weeks. I would also like to ad that I am not overly concerned with the scale, but I would like to see some movement with the measurements.

I think my numbers are at least close to being right. I have my TDEE and BMR. I underestimate a little how many calories I’m burning and overestimate a little bit with the calories I consume. *Something* should be happening, I just can’t see it.

There is one positive though, I do sleep better at night, which is a plus. Lol

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 pounds in 2.5 weeks is actually healthy and normal and you've LOST something. Keep going. Give your body time. Sometimes we get really impatient, but we are not on the Biggest Loser..
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    That's the thing, I don't even know if I actually 'lost' anything because my scale was bad. All I know is that is I have been busting my butt for the last few weeks and my pants went from "too tight" to "So tight they are REALLY uncomfortable to wear"

Is it possible that i'm in some weird 'starvation mode' because I used to maintain my weight even though I was eating two or three dinner helpings and eating full boxes of cheez-its 3 times a week? I'm eating much better now and i'm trying to keep the calories below 1900 per day after exercise.

Any incite would be appreciated.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So your last scale said you lost weight, but now you have a new scale and you think you didn't? You likely were just a higher starting weight than you thought and DID lose weight. Don't obsess so much about the number. As Jamcnair said 2 or 3 lbs in 2.5 weeks is great. Weight loss isn't going to happen overnight, this isn't the biggest loser. Log your new weight with the new scale and keep at it.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are in starvation mode. With out really knowing your starting weight, or what your weight is now, you might be losing weight, or you might not. But 2 or 3 pounds in 2.5 weeks is about average, and you should see some results soon. Don't give up. I haven't lost a huge amount of weight, but I have lost inches around my mid section and I am very pleased with that. Keep at it, and don't get discouraged.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    15 days.. really.. give it 3 months.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    I wouldn't care so much about the scale if my clothes were getting looser, but if anything, they got tighter, and I don't understand.
  • Ash_Diya
    Ash_Diya Posts: 36
    Options
    I am in the same boat, since I gave birth 5 months ago, my weight has been 172 pounds, when as per my body structure it should be 120-125. I have been going running when the weather permits and from today I am going to start Jillian's Banish Fat and Boost Metabolism. I always have trouble losing weight, it seems like the scale just wont budge. Lets see if this time something better happens.

Fell free to add me if you want.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Okay, I looked at your diary and it is not good...
    Most of your foods are carbs, fat and sugar. Its not only about calories, its about what you eat. Trust me, I am not one of these people who eat clean all the time either and I think you should be able to have a piece of cake when you want one but...that should be a once or twice a week thing.

Basically, what I would do is clean up your diet. Add green veggies and fruit in there and cut out at least half of the carbs. It seems like most of your meals consist of them

Just a side note: Something I learned about myself recently is that I have a gluten intolerance. I never would have thought it but I read a few studies about it and it talked gaining weight/having a hard time losing weight plus a few medical things I was going through. I thought why not, Ill give it up for a little while? I lost 7 lbs in a week! I ate pizza this past weekend and gained 3lbs back overnight and I am super itchy still! You don't have to give up potatoes, rice or anything like that just pastas, breads and wheat flours. I guess a lot of people don't know they have it and they go their lives being heavy without overeating, with dieting and exercising without much results. I guess a lot of people don't realize they have a gluten intolerance and that's why Adkins works for them so well like no other diet has. It makes sense, they gave up carbs... Just something to think about.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your diary and it looks like you have changed your goals several times over the past couple of weeks. Without knowing how or why you chose the calorie limit you chose, there isn't much people can do to help you.

It doesn't look like you are weighing your food so that can be a pretty big source of error. At your calorie level, errors in estimating how much food you are eating can certainly stop your weight loss (or even make you gain weight).

I bought some bacon. On the package it lists the serving size as 3 slices. Seems pretty straightforward right? It isn't. The weight of the bacon meant that it was actually 2 slices per serving. That happens all the time. plus it isn't easy to eyeball an 8 oz steak, etc...

I guess the questions are: Why did you chose that calorie level? If it is TDEE-20, you shouldn't be eating back exercise calories. Are you weighing your food? What is your current height and weight and goal weight? I'm sure people could help you with that info.
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Most of your foods are carbs, fat and sugar. Its not only about calories, its about what you eat. Trust me, I am not one of these people who eat clean all the time either and I think you should be able to have a piece of cake when you want one but...that should be a once or twice a week thing.

Basically, what I would do is clean up your diet. Add green veggies and fruit in there and cut out at least half of the carbs. It seems like most of your meals consist of them

This^. Also, definitely give it more time. Your body will start changing, but two weeks isn't enough time. Don't give up, you can do this!!!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Were I you, I'd cut out some of the sodium you're eating and bump up your fiber if you can. Even the days where you aren't listed as high in sodium, there looks like there's food that had a lot of sodium, it just wasn't added. Sodium can make you retain water, and therefor not lose weight if you judge only by the numbers on the scale. You could probably even add some protein, if you're exercising most days. I looked at your diary, I don't think you're in starvation mode.

You don't have a lot to lose, what settings do you have MFP set to lose per week? 1# per week? What's your BMR? What's your TDEE?

Make sure to take at least one rest day per week.

Who's to say how many calories you ate before? Unless you tracked it, I mean, when you were eating the snacks. On average for a week, you might have been eating fewer calories than you think. If you weren't tracking it then, then it's hard to compare now to then.
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No matter what adjustments you make, just keep working at it. I can totally understand your frustration with having improved your diet and wanting to see some results. I think its more important to enjoy the process of it. This is what keeps me going through the times where my progress seems to slow (or stop!).

Also, have faith that if you keep at it, keep tinkering and finding what works and what doesn't, you will get there. Having the tracker and log of what you are doing is a huge asset in this battle. Along with all the help from the people on here. Keep on reading about what has worked for others, and looking at their results, and be patient and persistent in your own journey. It will come.

Best of luck to you!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    To begin with, I don't think you've given it anywhere near enough time. According to your profile you are only trying to lose 17 pounds. This means you can't really expect a healthy weight loss of more than .5 pound a week. It will take a while to see that loss.

Don't worry about the new scale. As long as you're weighing yourself with the same scale every time, the exact number doesn't matter. Also, your weight will fluctuate daily for reasons that have nothing to do with gaining/losing fat. I no longer really consider my weight to be one number, but rather a five pound range. I keep trying to get into a new 5 pound range, but I don't worry unless the number goes up by more than 5 pounds over an extended period of time.

Do you have a food scale? I used to think I wasn't overeating since I didn't eat fast food or a lot of junk food. Once I got a food scale, I realized that, while what I was eating was not unhealthy, I was eating portion sizes that were too large. Particularly if you are only 10-20 pounds overweight, there's not a lot of room for error. That is, you don't have to be eating a visibly huge portion for it to put you over. Using a food scale, even for a short time, should show you some easy places to cut back. For instance, I found I was eating a lot more mayonnaise on sandwiches than I ever would have thought. I easily cut it back by a third without even noticing. That's a small example, but you can probably find a lot of places like that.

Also, if you are exercising and eating healthy, you are already doing something great for your health, even if your weight doesn't go down. Focus on actually being healthy, rather than trying to get to a specific number on the scale.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    3 things.

1) 2.5 weeks is a very short period of time. Weight loss is not linear and it the result of changed behaviors over a long period of time.

2) An increase in activity level often increases water weight as a result of muscle inflamation. When I change my workouts it is not uncommon for me to gain 5 lbs overnight, it is water. So you MAY have lost more fat it just doesn't register yet on the scale.

3) I think Chocolate Sundaes and Goldfish might be part of the problem. They put you over 1,800 one day, that is 1/2 lb right there. Here is what to eat. Lean protean as the foundation to every mean, all the veggies you want, fruit are great, limit grains to whole grains. Go 90 days eating "real" food things that grew in the ground or walked around on farm - nothing out of a box. Do this for 90 days.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    I'll try to answer as much as I can in one post...If I miss a question, i'm sorry, it's not intentional...

I changed my goals around a lot because I was playing with the numbers, basically.

I'm 37
    5"5'
    I'm about 160 I say about because that what I was yesterday morning on the new scale. The old scale would have said 156. :(
    I would like to be about 150.
    I have 41.5 inch hips, I would like to be closer to 36-38

My BMR is 1412
    My TDEE is 2137

I am not using a scale. I bought one because the box said it could be used for up to 11 pounds. When I tried to put something on there that only weighed 4 ounces, it wouldn't register. I haven't made it back to the store yet.

Cutting out salt really isn't much of an option. I have a condition called neurocardiogenic syncope, which is a fancy way of saying 'low blood pressure'. I was on a medication for it at one point, but eating more salt then the average person would keeps it in check. It's ok, my cardiologist and electrophysiologist says that's good.

As for me going over with the brownie and the whole bag of goldfish yesterday. The brownie was because it was my aniversary and it sounded sooo good. The goldfish was because I was pissed about all the calories in the brownie. I promise, I don't don't that every day.

I don't eat mayo or condiments really. A little mustard maybe on a sandwich, but that's about it.

I am trying to be as accurate as possible with food logging, but I know I miss a few things;

The Diet Pepsi and some of the water I drink every day. I only drink water and diet pepsi. I may have a rare glass of oj, but I would log that. If I have a small snack like 4 carrot sticks straight from the fridge or a few blueberries or a single strawberry, I don't log it. However, if I have one cookie I will log that.
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need to log everything as accurately as possible. A serving of baby carrots is 35 calories. That is approx 5 baby carrots. A few "unlogged snacks" can easily get to 100+ unaccounted calories.

Weighing and measuring is so important. I didn't lose any weight until I started weighing and measuring.

Good luck!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep going!

2 or 3 lbs is a lot for your current weight and where you need to go. You are 1/4 of the way there!! Don't give up now!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Get a new scale. I got one that is up to 2 lbs. for under $5. It's very accurate.

Log everything, even if it's a strawberry. It will keep you accountable. Don't justify your "ooops" days. Nobody is perfect. Learn from it and move on.

As I said before, Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep going. It'll change. I'd advise cutting out Diet Pepsi. The aspartame could be hurting your weight loss, but that is still being researched. When I cut out Sweet N Low and coffee, I don't have ridiculous daily cravings. Maybe once a week or month, but it's not daily anymore.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'll try to answer as much as I can in one post...If I miss a question, i'm sorry, it's not intentional...

I changed my goals around a lot because I was playing with the numbers, basically.

I'm 37
    5"5'
    I'm about 160 I say about because that what I was yesterday morning on the new scale. The old scale would have said 156. :(
    I would like to be about 150.
    I have 41.5 inch hips, I would like to be closer to 36-38

My BMR is 1412
    My TDEE is 2137

I am not using a scale. I bought one because the box said it could be used for up to 11 pounds. When I tried to put something on there that only weighed 4 ounces, it wouldn't register. I haven't made it back to the store yet.

Cutting out salt really isn't much of an option. I have a condition called neurocardiogenic syncope, which is a fancy way of saying 'low blood pressure'. I was on a medication for it at one point, but eating more salt then the average person would keeps it in check. It's ok, my cardiologist and electrophysiologist says that's good.

As for me going over with the brownie and the whole bag of goldfish yesterday. The brownie was because it was my aniversary and it sounded sooo good. The goldfish was because I was pissed about all the calories in the brownie. I promise, I don't don't that every day.

I don't eat mayo or condiments really. A little mustard maybe on a sandwich, but that's about it.

I am trying to be as accurate as possible with food logging, but I know I miss a few things;

The Diet Pepsi and some of the water I drink every day. I only drink water and diet pepsi. I may have a rare glass of oj, but I would log that. If I have a small snack like 4 carrot sticks straight from the fridge or a few blueberries or a single strawberry, I don't log it. However, if I have one cookie I will log that.

Basically, you are doing TDEE-10% right now which will have you losing a pound per 16 days. So just under half a pound per week. (1920 calories per day). If you aren't weighing everything that deficit of 200 calories per day is pretty easy to completely eliminate by under estimating what you are eating or not logging some snacks (even healthy snacks). If you aimed for 1850 you would probably lose right around half a pound per week. Anything more than that and your deficit would have to be higher. For a pound a week, 1650 calories per day. Again, it's easier to know what you are eating if you are weighing food. My carrots say that a serving size is 9 carrots but I've found it to be closer to 5-6 carrots. So if you eat 5 carrots and think it's 17 calories, it could be easily double that. Same thing goes for most foods.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Just a side note: Something I learned about myself recently is that I have a gluten intolerance. I never would have thought it but I read a few studies about it and it talked gaining weight/having a hard time losing weight plus a few medical things I was going through. I thought why not, Ill give it up for a little while? I lost 7 lbs in a week! I ate pizza this past weekend and gained 3lbs back overnight and I am super itchy still! You don't have to give up potatoes, rice or anything like that just pastas, breads and wheat flours. I guess a lot of people don't know they have it and they go their lives being heavy without overeating, with dieting and exercising without much results. I guess a lot of people don't realize they have a gluten intolerance and that's why Adkins works for them so well like no other diet has. It makes sense, they gave up carbs... Just something to think about.

This for sure ^

OP cut down on the empty calorie foods and start taking in more protein.