How to decide when you are too sick to work out?

Options
amytag
amytag Posts: 206 Member
This is such a stupid question, but how do you judge when you are sick enough to need a rest day versus just toughing it out? I am on day 5 of a head cold. I took off Thursday-Saturday without any exercise. Yesterday I tried to ignore it and ran outside for 3.5 miles because I just couldn't fathom taking four days off. That ended up making me feel way worse.

Now today...I've felt ****ty all day, but am starting to feel better. No fever, just this head cold. Would you push through it and work out anyway? By my schedule, I'm supposed to do 30 Day Shred today, but all the bending and up and down movement makes my head swim so I'd likely run again. Yes, I'm obsessed and get truly disappointed when I take an unscheduled rest day. But thinking one more rest day might be needed.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start slow if yo feel up to it. Don't push, ease back into it. I know it sucks, but you don't want to get lightheaded or weak or prolong your illness.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This is such a stupid question, but how do you judge when you are sick enough to need a rest day versus just toughing it out? I am on day 5 of a head cold. I took off Thursday-Saturday without any exercise. Yesterday I tried to ignore it and ran outside for 3.5 miles because I just couldn't fathom taking four days off. That ended up making me feel way worse.

Now today...I've felt ****ty all day, but am starting to feel better. No fever, just this head cold. Would you push through it and work out anyway? By my schedule, I'm supposed to do 30 Day Shred today, but all the bending and up and down movement makes my head swim so I'd likely run again. Yes, I'm obsessed and get truly disappointed when I take an unscheduled rest day. But thinking one more rest day might be needed.

Not a silly question - been there and done that with regards to pushing myself too intensely when under the weather. Now that I'm older I've learned that it's ok to take a day or two (or however many days you need to recover). And if you're getting antsy and feel like doing something it's OK to deviate from the schedule and skip 30 day shred and take a walk instead. I'm pretty sure Jillian won't show up at your door and scream at you. Take it easy, drink plenty of fluids and do something low impact. Your body will love you for it! :flowerforyou:
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Days I have a chest or head cold (like today!) I stick to free weights. Cardio tends to exacerbate the issue with me. Try doing some medium-heavy free weights instead.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling.

If it's a head cold I work out. If the cold gets worse and starts to affect my muscles/lungs/throat I take time off until I feel better.
  • Cajunmalakai
    Cajunmalakai Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body.
    When you are sick, your body devotes alot of energy and resources to fighting it off. One of the reasons you feel crappy(aside from the virus, obviously) is your body telling you to relax and let it do its job.

As far as toughing it out, I agree with Jen. Start easy, If you are compromising form, or your capacity is such that your not getting significant work done, it's time to pack it in and recouperate.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Energy levels. If the sickness is affecting my energy then I always skip the workout. If it's just a some head cold symptoms but no loss of energy then I go for it. If you are low energy it's because your body is fighting hard. Don't make it worse by diverting energy to a workout.