What am I doing wrong?

Options
Please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Here's the story:

At the beginning of January I decided I was going to start dieting. A friend introduced me to myfitnesspal. When I originally signed up I put that I weighed 330 lbs because that's what I THOUGHT I weighed. About 2 weeks later I went to weigh at a local gym and weighed 331.5. Color me shocked. It was at that point that I realized I probably weighed closer to 340. So I kept going. Eating under the amount of calories required to lose 1 lb a week. And I started walking once per week. The next week I weighed 328, then 325, then 324, then 322.5. Each week I was losing. I would weigh on my lunch break on Wednesdays at the same gym. So the Friday after I weighed 322.5 I woke up with a sore throat. It got worse throughout the day so I went to the dr. At the dr.'s office they weighed my on their old school scale and I weighed 319. I was super happy. So I started eating between 1200-1300 calories per day. The following Wednesday (last week) I went to the gym and assumed that it would probably say 320 (I knew the drs office scale wasn't completely correct). Imagine my shock when I weighed 324! I was so depressed. But I kept going, upping the calories to between 1500-1700 per day. On Friday I had a big hamburger and fries. It was the first time I had cheated since I started. The next day I had around 2100 calories (which was still enough to be losing 1 lb per week). Sunday I was back on...under 1600 calories. So today I decided to go weigh on my lunch break and was beyond shocked when I weighed 327. I don't get it. I cried all the way back to the car. I have been trying so hard. I don't know how I can be GAINING weight like this. My husband scolded me for weighing on my lunch break when I weigh in (We don't have a scale at home...although I have bought one and am waiting on it to arrive). Please help me.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are you doing wrong? You're becoming obsessed by some meaningless numbers on an unreliable piece of metal. Put the scale away for a month, and keep on with good eating and exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    First: always weigh at the same time. I weigh first thing in the morning after I pee.

Second: fluctuations are normal. Especially for women.

Third: you're focusing too much on the numbers. What you're doing is clearly working. Just stop staring at the scale. :smile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Whoaa you need to stop and take a deep breath. First - weight loss requires a lot of patience. Second - stayi consistent and within your calorie goal. Make those calories as healthy as possible...but if a cheeseburger and fries happens don't immediately run to the scale to see if you've gained weight...that's just silly:wink: Third - stop weighing yourself!!! Once a week, that's all. Fourth - Log everything, EVERYTHING! Log accurately and consistently, get's some exercise, stay in your calorie goal and you will lose weight!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal, but I GET YOU!!! For real, for real. I feel your struggle and pain and you have my sincere sympathy...I literally have a lump in my throat reading your post. You're working hard and as easy as it is for everyone to say that you need to stop looking at the scale, etc, I get it. But....it's time to move past it, and keep tracking your calories and getting that activity in. You can do this!!! Hang in there, you WILL be a success!!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ignore weights on other scales - scale accuracy does vary.

Only count the weight from same scales at same time - so every Wed at lunch time is fine and consistently do that - but only once per week, daily fluctuations are irelevant.

I also think that even if you are doing everything right there will be weeks of no loss or even slight gain - as long as these are small gltiches in an overall downward trend - ie 1 steps backward to many more forward sort of thing - then its all still ok and on track.

Please dont give up on account of this small set back.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What are you doing wrong? You're becoming obsessed by some meaningless numbers on an unreliable piece of metal. Put the scale away for a month, and keep on with good eating and exercise.

You don't need to read anything else anyone puts, just this!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    First: always weigh at the same time. I weigh first thing in the morning after I pee.

Second: fluctuations are normal. Especially for women.

Third: you're focusing too much on the numbers. What you're doing is clearly working. Just stop staring at the scale. :smile:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Do yourself a favor and put the scale away.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling much the same way. In the past six months, I have lost 10 pounds but for three months now I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. It's BEYOND frustrating.

Big picture - I've lost 22 pounds over the past 4 years.

I know that part of my problem is that I'm not consistent. I take bites that never show up on my food diary, and some days I don't log at all. I start and stop exercise routines.

But really, pushing forward is the only sensible option. At least I can see that in the past 6 months I've done much better than in the 3.5 years before that. There's hope yet for both of us. Best wishes!
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is my advice:

Weigh yourself at a set time of day and no more than once a week (I'm considering only weighing once every 4 weeks).

Take measurements, for instance arms, legs, waist, hips etc.

One I started recently and find very helpful - take photos. Very motivational. Do this once every 4 weeks so you can actually see a difference, same with taking your measurements.

Good luck :-).
  • aziapatrick
    aziapatrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I was feeling super depressed after I saw that. All I could think was 4 weeks worth of work is gone. I am severely type A so it is extremely hard for me to not worry about a number but I will try. Hopefully the scale I ordered will be here within the next day or two so I can be more consistant.
  • kissythecutie
    Options
    I know about that pain it has happend to me too..but I believe that you will continue to lose weight again..Im certain. of that from reading your post..because I get the sense that your weight loss stalled when you started eating 1200 calories. You want to lose weight fast i get it but 1200-1300/day is way to low for you right now and your body reacted by slowing down its metabolism. I think you probably shocked your body but when you resume as you did and stay steady eating enough food then you will continue losing weight like you were doing before but yeah...i know it hurts but its just a temporary issue...keep on going girl...
  • aziapatrick
    aziapatrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know about that pain it has happend to me too..but I believe that you will continue to lose weight again..Im certain. of that from reading your post..because I get the sense that your weight loss stalled when you started eating 1200 calories. You want to lose weight fast i get it but 1200-1300/day is way to low for you right now and your body reacted by slowing down its metabolism. I think you probably shocked your body but when you resume as you did and stay steady eating enough food then you will continue losing weight like you were doing before but yeah...i know it hurts but its just a temporary issue...keep on going girl...

Exactly what I think originally happened. I was doing very well then I saw a low number and started eating less. Now I've upped the calories. So hopefully it will help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Exactly what I think originally happened. I was doing very well then I saw a low number and started eating less. Now I've upped the calories. So hopefully it will help.
    Great!
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing! Weight fluctuates like crazy, especially for women. I weigh myself in the morning on same day each week before I shower on the same scale. When I used to weigh myself everyday, I almost went crazy over the changing numbers.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I was feeling super depressed after I saw that. All I could think was 4 weeks worth of work is gone. I am severely type A so it is extremely hard for me to not worry about a number but I will try. Hopefully the scale I ordered will be here within the next day or two so I can be more consistant.

Oh how I understand the type A personality. I'm so type A and number obsessed I'm an accountant by profession. Everyone here has already given you great advice, I just wanted to add that in 4 weeks you've lost at least 5 lbs and so you are obviously doing something right. Just keep doing what you're doing and try not to get to obsessed with the number. :smile:
  • AprilFox30
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! It was mentioned on a different post, that your true weight (the most accurate) is first thing in the morning. Also, keep in mind that water weight, along with certain times of the month will also effect your overall weight. But keep in mind that long-term goals will be achieved over time, not within 3 weeks. Please, please continue your excellent work of eating healthy and exercising. I promise you, it WILL pay off in the end. The changes you are making now are life-long lifestyle changes. They shouldn't be disregarded over one weigh-in.

I felt the EXACT way you're feeling recently. I got a little mojo (motivation) from this site and my BFF, now I am back on track and losing again. Keep your head up! You are a rockin lady who WILL succeed!!!!
  • bdcmoran
    bdcmoran Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The way you can really tell is when you have to use a smaller loop in your belt - I love that. I weight every morning but just post once a week - Also, don't cheat on your posting of foods or exercise - you only cheating yourself. Look up foods and find the foods that are very low incalories - such as celery, radishs and strawberries - start loving those greens. Don't give up and there are foods out there that will fill you up so you won't feel hungrey all the time. Look on others food dairy. Hang in there. Lots of folks puttling for you.
  • chevvy50
    chevvy50 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've read the other replies cant really add to them apart from please dont give up every day is a new day .....dont let scales b your enemy...or yourself big hug much love we are in it together
  • michellemoo516
    Options
    dont let numbers on a scale dictate your accomplishments. If you are someone who needs that validation from a scale (and its OK if you do...some people just really like to see it drop a pound or two) then consider weighing every 2 weeks or so. Also, I kinda think that 1200-1500 calories is a little low . Make sure you are eating small 5-6 times a day. Dont go for long periods of time without some kind of nutrition.......slows the metabolism down drastically!!! Maybe consider walking for 15 min at a time twice a day...a couple times a week. Studies have shown that this can be more beneficial than just working out for 30 min all at once. Always keep your body guessing.....the body can become so used to eating and doing the same things...SOOO quickly!!!
    Youve got this!!! Dont let numbers stop you from making lifestyle changes :)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ENOUGH! Don't weight yourself. I have found that using the tape measure is a better way to see how you are doing. As the scale goes up and down too much. It can drive you up the walls. Put all that attention into your workouts and your eating habits. Don't focus on the scale.