Burned 600 calories in 440 min of elliptical? Really?!

Options
So I am just getting back into this thing. I used to have a polar HRM, but when I pulled it out to use it, the batter is dead in the transmitter. When I plugged the amount of time I spent doing elliptical here on MFP it said I burned 600 calories. I did push it, but that seems a lot for some reason.

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    440 min??????
  • yankeez1212
    Options
    ugh!!! fat fingered it. 40 minutes.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    last week I burnt 120 and something after 15 minutes at a speed of like 4.5 I think
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your weight, height, age and gender. I'm female, 39, 5' 6" and at the top of the "healthy" weight range for me. I typically burn just under 10 cals/min. on an elliptical. So, I would log closer to 375-400 for 44 min (i'm assuming you meant 44).
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My HRM gives me about 400 in 30 and the site gives me 560 or so.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    15 cals a minute.. depends on how big you are and how hard you were pushing it.. Seems on the high side, but if you were really pushing it, totally possible!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Um...you did that for over 7 hours?? :glasses:
  • yankeez1212
    Options
    I weigh 220 and I couldn't have carried on a conversation with the person next to me.
  • Lady_Bane
    Options
    No, but it depends on how much you weigh, the more fat you have to lose the more you will burn. I can only burn about 150-200 on an elliptical if I push it.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh 220 and I couldn't have carried on a conversation with the person next to me.

If you were able to carry on the conversation with minimal "breaks" to take a breath while talking, you probably never left HR zone 2. In which case, maybe 400 calories max for the 40 minutes. Were you actively using the upper body "poles" or just holding on while your lower body did all the work? HR zone 3, upper & lower body, heck yeah 600 calories for the 40 minutes. And you hopefully felt like passing out (in a good way!) when you stepped off the machine.
  • Lady_Bane
    Options

If you were able to carry on the conversation with minimal "breaks" to take a breath while talking, you probably never left HR zone 2. In which case, maybe 400 calories max for the 40 minutes. Were you actively using the upper body "poles" or just holding on while your lower body did all the work? HR zone 3, upper & lower body, heck yeah 600 calories for the 40 minutes. And you hopefully felt like passing out (in a good way!) when you stepped off the machine.

This is misinformation. When you get into the higher heart zone, you are doing more cardio, which is great, but as the name suggests, it is more for your heart.
    Find your 60-70% of your maximum heart rate based on age and weight, and you will be in the fat burning zone.
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I generally burn anywhere between 350-450 during 30 minutes on resistance 3 (my resistance levels are VERY different from gym ellipticals) and I weigh 163 pounds. That calorie burn could be pretty close to what you're actually burning. MFP does have an issue w/ over estimating, but it gives you a general idea based on your weight and height.
  • LisaGNV
    Options

This is misinformation. When you get into the higher heart zone, you are doing more cardio, which is great, but as the name suggests, it is more for your heart.
    Find your 60-70% of your maximum heart rate based on age and weight, and you will be in the fat burning zone.

My bad... you are correct... I got my zones wrong. (And i now look like an idiot) Unintended.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I burn 100 calories for every 10 minutes so 600 in an hour and I work hard.

That number does seem quite high as others suggest but if you were going all out its possible.
  • Lady_Bane
    Options

My bad... you are correct... I got my zones wrong. (And i now look like an idiot) Unintended.

NONO, you dont look like an idiot! It happens! I just dont want people to get mixed up between the two! <3<3<3:heart:
  • LisaGNV
    Options

NONO, you dont look like an idiot! It happens! I just dont want people to get mixed up between the two! <3<3<3:heart:

:) Do you do a lot of HR zone training? I'm looking for a thread now or will start one...
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I burn around 450 on the elliptical in 30 minutes. So, yeah - that's what I would burn in 40 minutes. I don't know how overweight you are, but that may be a factor.
  • bathony
    bathony Posts: 51
    Options
    I weigh 203lbs, 5' 7" and did 60 minutes with My HRM and recorded 577 calories, hope that helps.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    440 minutes? I'd be dead.

ETA: Oops, sorry I didn't see your correction. I'd say it is entirely possible. My son in law is tall and I dont know what he weighs, I'd guess about 200, but he burns anywhere from 800-1100 in an hour. He REALLY works hard at it though and sweats like crazy so I def. believe it.

I'm a short person and I can only burn about 800 with one hour of lifting, a 30 minute run and a 30 minute walk. I'm sure that someone bigger could burn that in 40 minutes with a more strenuous workout.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    So I am just getting back into this thing. I used to have a polar HRM, but when I pulled it out to use it, the batter is dead in the transmitter. When I plugged the amount of time I spent doing elliptical here on MFP it said I burned 600 calories. I did push it, but that seems a lot for some reason.

Try correlating those two results with this tool, you need to know what your avg HR was:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx