Weight gain due to medication? Anyone else?

Options
Okay so I had gone from 213 to 170 and maintained there for a year. Ever since I was put on new medication- seroquel and cymbalta - I have been doing the exact same exercise and calorie count/quality of food but gained 15lbs in 1 month. went to the dr and he said these meds can slow down metabolism and also thyroid so have to get these both tested. I have been taken off both these medications now and was wondering now that I am off them should my weight begin to drop again or nada? Has anyone else had experiences like this.? Looking to find some support , feeling pretty annoyed and fed up right now.

Replies

• PapillonKisses
    Options
    Yep. I gained 6kg in 5 weeks on a combination of Zyprexa and Remeron despite NO increase on caloric consumption, very 'clean' eating and lots of cardio exercise. Oh and I'm not someone who ordinarily struggles with their weight and I have oodles of self-control, i.e. I didn't give in and overeat just because the medication was making me feel constantly famished. You're not imagining things. These meds can do wacky things with how food is metabolised and mess with insulin resistance.

The good news? I lost an initial 2kgs in 2 weeks just coming off the medication, despite not being as strict since I didn't have the threat of uncontrollable weight gain over my head. The third kilo took another month, then the weight loss continued slowing as I neared my usual weight range. Everything's back to normal now and I didn't diet at all, but I appreciate that it may be harder for some. I just listened to my body, ate when I was hungry, stopped when I wasn't, and led an active lifestyle. The tough thing is that when you are on anti-psychotics in particular, you can't always listen to your hunger because it's often false.

The weight gain might level off if you think the cost-benefit ratio is in favour of staying on these particular meds. I can't say. But there are likely other options open to you if you find this side effect intollerable.

Good luck!
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I gained a LOT of weight from Seroquel. It was worse than Zyprexa was for me, which is saying something. Probably a good 40 pounds gained before I stopped taking it.
    I have recently been able to lose weight but for a while after I stopped it I couldn't lose any at all. It was a massive pain in the butt.
  • sn_etuk
    sn_etuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Story of my life for the past 10 years. In fact, I'm struggling with this some now. Zyprexa was one of the worse, but I've had plenty of others too. In my experience I've at times lost some weight simply by stopping the medication. However, the weight was much easier to put on than to come off, and just not taking the medication wasn't enough. And for some time even after stopping the medication I couldn't lose weight. Everyone is different, and it's a major pain. But, just keep going. At the very least you won't be gaining additional weight, and you can focus on the best way to lose what you have gained. Good luck.
  • newlife0425
    newlife0425 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was done to 184 then due to thyroid cancer and multi-organ sarcaodosis I have to take thyroid med's daily levels go up and down...then when I have flare-ups with my saracodosis they have to give me predizone and methoxrate and this makes me gain weight. which I am up to 226 which is very upsetting as I am not doing anything different....so I understand completely.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Okay so I had gone from 213 to 170 and maintained there for a year. Ever since I was put on new medication- seroquel and cymbalta - I have been doing the exact same exercise and calorie count/quality of food but gained 15lbs in 1 month. went to the dr and he said these meds can slow down metabolism and also thyroid so have to get these both tested. I have been taken off both these medications now and was wondering now that I am off them should my weight begin to drop again or nada? Has anyone else had experiences like this.? Looking to find some support , feeling pretty annoyed and fed up right now.

I am on Cymbalta and it isn't making me gain but it makes me wanna eat like crazy....so it sort of makes it hard to lose :/
  • ShannOliver
    ShannOliver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup! Big time. I did put on weight when I was taking Seroquel as well. My friend also put on about 40lbs (forget the time frame). But let me tell you, Abilify (although it is quite a wonder drug) will make you put on weight like CRAZY! I'm hungry all.of.the.time. and nothing satisfies it, but no other medication works like it does, so for me it is worth it. I'm making up for it by eating a bunch of small meals and exercising all of the time. Working so far!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Not on anything yet but am predicting soon I will need to be so this makes me nervous. I'm already having enough troubles losing weight without medication's influence.
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options
    Psych meds will blow you up!!! It happened to me EVERYTIME I took ANY kind of those pills for whatever kind of symptom for over many, many years. It is a part of it unfortunately. I stopped ALL of it and doing much better, I attribute it to my new eating habits. Hippocrates the father of medicine said, "Let food be thy medicine."
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    Thanks for everyones' replies and it is good to know I am not alone in this.
    Anyone and everyone feel free to add me and we can battle this horrid weight gain together. <3
  • ShannOliver
    ShannOliver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Psych meds will blow you up!!! It happened to me EVERYTIME I took ANY kind of those pills for whatever kind of symptom for over many, many years. It is a part of it unfortunately. I stopped ALL of it and doing much better, I attribute it to my new eating habits. Hippocrates the father of medicine said, "Let food be thy medicine."

I just want to add, some people NEED medication. It's not a choice and there are no other sufficient alternatives.

Good food is great, but it's not a solution for every person.

I wanted to say that for those of you who have to be on psych meds. It's not easy to stay on them; there are side effects, you may miss some of who you used to be, and yes, sometimes there's weight gain. But if they're working for you and you're living a more fulfilling life, STAY ON THEM. Keep working with your doctor to find the right combination that will work for you. It may take a while, but it's out there. It just takes patience and IT IS WORTH IT and you will find it.

You can't appreciate anything, especially being thin, if your mental health (or health in general) is in jeopardy. STAY ON YOUR MEDICATION!!

*if anyone would like some support through this, I'm more happy to do so. I've been there, I struggled immensely, and came out better than I could have dreamed. Friend/message me and just give me a heads up. =)
  • PapillonKisses
    Options
    ^^ What she said!

I might add, some medications are more likely to cause weight loss. And even if it might be common for people to gain or lose weight on a particular medication, you could do the opposite or your weight might stay the same! In fact, people with atypical depression (which despite its name is actually the most common type of depression) often lose weight on medication, at least at first, as this type of depression frequently causes people to over-eat.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight on cymbalta, but that's because I actually eat now, so not quite the same thing I don't think. :wink: I went off it for a while (bad decision), balloooned up due to emotional eating, went back on 6 months later, and lost 15lb without even trying. Psych meds affect everyone differently, but fortunately I seem to be one of those people who gets minimal side effects.

There are antidepressants that are more likely to cause weight loss, or at least less likely to cause weight gain, so for anyone concerned about that please let your doctor/psych know. If weight gain is going to make you unhappy/cause you to stop taking your medication it's not benefiting your mental health, and a good healthcare provider should keep that in mind.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It's a thread like this that proves calories in/ calories out is NOT the be all and end all.

If it was all about calories people wouldn't see these issues when on medication.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    The one that started me gaining was Mellaril (which is an oooooold "dinosaur drug") I gained 104 while taking it. I can't say it didn't affect my eating habits, because I wasn't keeping track, but my doc even warned me that I eould gain on it, just never realized how MUCH.

I've been on all the atypical APs and the only one that HAS NOT made me gain is Abilify! I'm on 30mg and for me it's weight neutral.

What buggered me up in the last 8 months had been the birth control pill of all things. Guess it's true what they say about messing with hormones! I'm still losing though and so I know it CAN be done even while I take this pill, so since I rather like not having PMDD symptoms I'm going to keep on it!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I just want to add, some people NEED medication. It's not a choice and there are no other sufficient alternatives.

Good food is great, but it's not a solution for every person.

I wanted to say that for those of you who have to be on psych meds. It's not easy to stay on them; there are side effects, you may miss some of who you used to be, and yes, sometimes there's weight gain. But if they're working for you and you're living a more fulfilling life, STAY ON THEM. Keep working with your doctor to find the right combination that will work for you. It may take a while, but it's out there. It just takes patience and IT IS WORTH IT and you will find it.

You can't appreciate anything, especially being thin, if your mental health (or health in general) is in jeopardy. STAY ON YOUR MEDICATION!!

*if anyone would like some support through this, I'm more happy to do so. I've been there, I struggled immensely, and came out better than I could have dreamed. Friend/message me and just give me a heads up. =)

Totally agree. I have to take meds or I would be in the looney bin in a padded room with a straight jacket (they did it once and it went very bad very quickly). Plus I also take meds for high BP and chronic migraines.

It is a battle but I will not give up. Talk with your doctor. There are so many meds to choose from maybe another one will work for you.
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am on thyroid meds due to having radiation treatment on my thyroid. I also have Peripheral Neuropathy (sensory and autonomic) and take Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Nortriptyline All of these meds are renowned for contributing to weight gain and I have gained nearly 3 stone (42pounds) since being on the meds. Also the autonomic neuropathy affects my bladder, bowels and intestines and everything is VERY sluggish and despite taking a laxative and a stool softener every day, I'm lucky if I have 1 bowel movement a week.
    The first month of being on MFP I lost 7 pounds but in the second month my weight fluctuated by as much as 4 pounds (gain) and I ended the month with only 1 pound lost so 8 pounds in total.
    Due to the pain and numbness from my PN I can't do high impact exercises so my exercise choices are limited. I've chosen to do weightlifting which presents its own problems because my grip is compromised..

Having said all that, I'm determined to do everything I can to rid myself of this weight and if I only lose 1 pound a month, then so be it. I can't come off the meds so this is my lot and I have to live with it.
  • AnnInTexas
    AnnInTexas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 60 pounds a couple of years ago, and was then diagnosed with Lupus. I was put on two Lupus meds, Seroquel and Prednisone. Those last two were the told kiss of death. During that time, I quickly (and easily) gained back more than 25 of those pounds. I freaked out when I got on the scale one day and found I was within 15 pounds of my starting weight!

I'm now taking the Prednisone (the real troublemaker) as needed and I quit the Seroquel altogether.
    I just figured out how to make it work. I'm now back on the road and down 10 pounds.

So yes - I feel your pain. It's not as simple as just exercising and eating right, when meds are in play!

Good luck to you,
    Ann
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that medication had something to do with my weight. I got overweight due to inactivity, but I got obese because I was on some pills. When I was healthy enough to ditch the meds, the weight came off in a couple months, and now I am just overweight again.

I don't think the meds directly made me heavy, but they did make me hungry and tired, so I became even less active and overate even more.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have always been a fairly normal teenager with activity. I was forced onto Celexa by my doctor and mother when I was in 8th grade. When I started taking it, I weighed around 125lbs. After a years time, in Freshman year, I weighed 165lbs. The next year I weighed around 180, and was switched to another medication due to the weight gain. That weight gain continued all the way to 212lbs by the time I turned 17. I moved out of the house, and quit the medication. This last year I have gotten back down to 177lbs, (about 14 months time) but I seem to have hit a plateau now. I have been sitting at 177 for 3 weeks now, which is about the time I upped my calorie intake to around 2300 calories a day on workout days.

I know that my metabolism was destroyed, as I have many friends the same height as me, or taller, who weigh in the 140's and are way less active than me, but eat 2,000-3,000 more calories a day compared to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not gained, but I had to shift my calorie intake due to some meds I started taking. They reduce my metabolism by about 10%. Sucks.