Asking for your success stories by justcounting calories

Options

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight following MFP and eating my exercise cals back.

I'm now under the care of dietician following a different plan.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am not "done", but all the weight I've lost thus far has been through counting calories & exercise. I've never counted a carb and have no plans to start. I use the mfp number and eat my exercise calories, which for me is actually higher than TDEE-20% (so if I switched, I'd actually be lowering my calories) - but not really all that different. And since mfp already calculates for me, I have the added benefit of not having to do math and stuff. It's working for me.
  • whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From just counting calories and using the Fat2Fit calculator/recommed calorie adjustments I've lost over 100lbs.

Sadly I gained some back do to illness, injury, and some other complications. But I'm pretty positive that it'll come off again. All it takes is eating the right foods, not over indulging (all the time, you gotta do it from time to time otherwise you'll go insane), and exercise. That's it. No special diet, no special magic numbers, no shakes, no crash diets, just dedication, right food, and some pie here and there. =)
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs my first month on MFP. Funny, I kept getting discouraged, thinking the scale wasn't moving enough, but when I weighed in last week, and saw that my total lost so far is 5 lbs, I realized that's an awesome rate at which to lose! Anyway, so I'm just saying, don't anyone get discouraged the first few weeks, it may take a while for you to see it.

I am counting calories and trying to stay within my macros (40/30/30), but I don't freak if my macros are over, as long as my calories are ok. I also started working out (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred), but not hard core, an average of about 3 times a week. I do plan on trying to get more exercise in, it will only help.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have lost 54 lbs (I think that's where I'm at) by counting calories everyday and moderate exercise 6 days a week. I normally range from 1200-1700 calories a day depending on my workout and how much I've burned.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Went from 200 to 165 in 2011 by tracking calories and eating back exercise calories, netting about 1600. Maintained within a few pounds since, typically gaining during summer when I run less (heat!) and around the holidays (eat!) and then going back to tracking until I lost it.

Decided this year that when I started tracking again to lose holiday weight, I would continue until I got down to 150-155 and see if that helped my running. Started at 170 in mid-January, currently 162.6. Since I have less to lose, I'm trying to net closer to 1700 this time. Total daily calories typically 2000+.
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Down 103 lbs as of today. I have only counted calories and used the MFP calculated range. I have exercised, but not consistently AT ALL. Haven't exercised in over a month now. I eat what I want. The thing about losing weight is the more you lose the more calories they take. It almost forces you to eat healthier foods as they have less calories. I happen to like fruits, veggies and all natural foods. I try to stay away from processed but I don't restrict it if I want it either. I have hit a plateau or two and usually up my calories for about a wk or two then go back down to goal range and the weight loss usually kicks in again. Occasionally, I go over but I don't beat myself up over it. Just get back on track the next day. :)
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am down just over 40 pounds since late last year (right after Thanksgiving), counting calories and fairly minimal exercise (walking a couple of times a week). I don't do deprivation well, so I haven't eliminated any foods. I set MFP to lose 1.5 pounds/week, and generally eat most of my calories and exercise calories on the days that I exercise. I started with well over 100 pounds to lose, which is why I have been losing more quickly than one would expect. I have stayed within my calorie limits pretty religiously, though, going over only one or two times. Everyone is different, but for me it does not work to have a "cheat" day --- I view this as a change in lifestyle that will be with me the rest of my life. So instead of eliminating things, with everything I eat, I strive for moderation. I still eat out, but try to look at the nutrition info in advance so I can make somewhat healthier and more thoughtful choices than I would have before. There are more and more places now with things that are reasonable in calories, at least. I still eat too much sugar and salt, but have been working on that slowly, and I drink A LOT of water every day. For the foods that trigger overeating, which for me is mostly chips and candy, I either buy single serve bags or measure the food in advance, put the bag away, and eat only what I've measured out. And then I eat it slowly and really enjoy it, without guilt, because it is within my calorie limits. I do find it easier if I plan my eating for the day out, so that I know in the morning what I'm having for dinner, for example. Then I plan the rest of the day around that.

Anyway, I don't think special diets are "necessary" if they don't work for you. Every person is different, and you have to find what works for you in this process. If you binge every time you eat something, and can't stop, then it might make sense to eliminate that food for awhile. But if you can enjoy it in moderation, and that is more livable for you, then do that. You will still lose weight. I didn't get to be over 300 pounds by eating one serving of potato chips; I got to be over 300 pounds because I'd eat the whole full size bag, or close to it, while mindlessly watching TV, not even tasting the food.

Take one day, or meal or snack, at a time, and listen to your body. You will find what works best for you. It's okay to be different from other people --- you are the one that matters to your process, not anyone else. And good luck --- you can totally do this!
  • jenniferlcrumb
    jenniferlcrumb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but purely counting calories has worked for me! I have MFP set to lose 1 lb per week. The first 15 lbs I lost were entirely calorie counting, but now that I have been working out I have actually plateaued a bit (makes me hungrier while my body gets used to it, so I go over on calories often). I do not believe in eliminating anything from my diet entirely, as I know it will not be sustainable for me. I have the discipline to limit my indulgences to occasional ones that fit into my calories or I take the occasional cheat day. Others might not do as well limiting and need to eliminate. Just depends on the individual!

You most likely plateau due to gaining muscle, it really does weigh more than fat, and if you have added exercise that is most likely whats happening. when i first started working out I was stuck at the same weight for over a month, but family could notice I had lost a couple inches, Track your inches instead of just weight, It will be a big boost for you :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Before I joined MFP, I was losing weight at a rate of about 5lbs per month, after I joined, doing 1200 calories a day, it increased to 2lbs per week. I did experience a slow down after my activity level almost doubled, so I increased my calories to 1500 and lost 4lbs in less than 2 weeks.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great inspiration from you all! Congratulation on your successes!
  • mfregeau
    mfregeau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im just starting and am utilizing 1250 calories a day. I did it all last week and was feeling great, but weekend came and a few drinks and some eating out and boom i fell like i went backwards. i am back on board though, any inspiring thoughts from anyone on staying on track!
  • ectorgarcia
    ectorgarcia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    50 pounds lost the vast majority of it just counting calories.
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 50 lbs with only calorie counting. I ate between 1300-1500 and lost at a rate of about 2lbs per week. So it's definitely possible!

The next 20 I lost with a mixture of calories and exercise however I am only finally just getting strict with the exercise portion as I am down to the last 10 lbs and want to start toning some of my 'problem areas'.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 lbs counting calories. I had to up my calorie intake from what MFP told me to eat because I plateaued on 1350 calories. I started losing again at 1500-1700 calories a day. I have started eating Paleo, but it is because of food allergy problems, not weight loss. But I stopped counting calories when I started the Paleo diet. I have technically met my goal weight last weekend. Now I feel like exercising.
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the greatest thing to me is that you can EAT WHAT YOU WANT meaning what you want and stay under your calories and still enjoy life and learn what the values of food.. LOVE MFP
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bump
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!