HRM question

Options
Hello,
I am looking to buy an HRM. I'm deciding between Polar F4 or F7. I'm just worried the monitor sensor strap will be uncomfortable to wear?? Does anyone have this problem? Also a silly question for the ladies are you suppose to wear it under the sports bra or over? Thank you.

Replies

• TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just ordered (for a second time bc my first one grew legs and walked away) an ft7. Should be here tomorrow. SO excited!

Anyway, to answer your question the strap is not uncomfortable per-say. It does take a couple times wearing it to get used to it. I wear mine under my sports bra. It rests right under the band. I have seen a couple ppl wear them over the top and always wondered about that. Mainly you see them under.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4. I wear just below my sports bra. Works fine and is comfortable. I don't even notice I have it on. Thanks for reminding me though to take it off!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 I think it is the next one up from the FT4. Excellent tool one of the best Ive used for exercise (cardio)

The chest strap is very comfortable and is stretchy. I wash mine in a laundry pouch and air dry it. Doesnt take long for it to dry.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    I don't have the same HRM as you, although assuming they're all basically the same then they are pretty comfortable :) Just make sure you don't strap it on too tight!

Although something I have had bother with, and recommend researching (maybe someone here can recommend a solution?!):
    When you first get your HRM you usually have to enter your height, weight, age, etc. - this allows the HRM to calculate your calories burned, based on your stats and your heart rate.
    HOWEVER, once you lose a significant amount of weight (apparently 10lbs or so), you need to re-enter your weight etc for it to continue to be accurate.
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to reset my weight on the damn thing! I have reset the date and clock about 50 times lol.

Anyone else have this issue?
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    I don't have the same HRM as you, although assuming they're all basically the same then they are pretty comfortable :) Just make sure you don't strap it on too tight!

Although something I have had bother with, and recommend researching (maybe someone here can recommend a solution?!):
    When you first get your HRM you usually have to enter your height, weight, age, etc. - this allows the HRM to calculate your calories burned, based on your stats and your heart rate.
    HOWEVER, once you lose a significant amount of weight (apparently 10lbs or so), you need to re-enter your weight etc for it to continue to be accurate.
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to reset my weight on the damn thing! I have reset the date and clock about 50 times lol.

lol I havent had that issue. Tap on the top right button twice press the middle one when you get to "settings" then tap the top button twice it should read 'User information" then tap the middle button and adjust weight..GOOD LUCK lol

Although I tried to delete all the workouts it has saved over the last two months and I have noooo idea how to clear them. Ive gone into data settings etc but it just wont delete them.
  • LAD1981
    LAD1981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bought the FT7 couple of weeks ago, love it! Underestimated my calorie burning completely and it's totally comfy, I wore it all day last week as a test and never bothered me at all, its nice to have it snug, never rubs or anything like that, My sports bras have this really convenient shape that fits the monitor nicely so it doesn't move as you'd think - honest :) Enjoy
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    The chest strap sensors need to maintain constant contact with your skin, preferably close to your heartbeat. So - against the skin.

To the person who can't figure out his/her settings....go online and look at the manual on the Polar website.

Your setting for weight should be in "User" under "Settings" on the device.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options

the Polar makes it real easy as someone else mentioned. Just a button and you can adjust all of that. I would look in your manual for the watch AND if you do not have it...Google.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bought the FT7 couple of weeks ago, love it! Underestimated my calorie burning completely and it's totally comfy, I wore it all day last week as a test and never bothered me at all, its nice to have it snug, never rubs or anything like that, My sports bras have this really convenient shape that fits the monitor nicely so it doesn't move as you'd think - honest :) Enjoy

Just a note that wearing it all day won't give you an estimate of your total daily calorie burn. The algorithms only work with an elevated heart rate, like steady state cardio exercise. The aren't accurate for lifting either.

To the OP: The strap has to be against your skin near your heart so the sensors can pick up your heart beat. The Polar straps are elastic except for the sensor portion so it's comfy and the sensor area is a soft vinyl.

Another tip is to always take the transmitter off the strap to save battery life.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 and I wear it under my sports bra. Sometimes I don't even know it's there... but my tatas are a bit BIG I lose things in them all the time. HAHA!
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    Also to save battery power unhook the transmitter from the strap after your workout :) Just a friendly tip
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been using Polar for several years and had different models. The main problem with the strap is that once the battery goes, even if you replace it, it often does not work as reliably as before and often loses the signal. I discovered I have to invest into a new strap approximately once a year. Other than that I love my HRM.
  • vickyg1986
    vickyg1986 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the input. I will be ordering the FT7 today.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. Once you wear it once or twice you don't even notice it there. Mine is placed right under the strap of my sports bra. Doesn't feel any different than just the strap of the bra.
  • tgrady20
    tgrady20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's comfortable for me and it has to remain in contact with your skin near your heart. Also, you are advised to wet the sensor areas before putting on. You'll see what I mean. I do have a question for some of the others...the other day my hrm was picking up a hr of 219 and it seemed to be stuck on this crazy number. I couldn't tried touching the watch to the sensor and even took the sensor off and reapplied it but nothing helped. Is it a early warning that the batteries may be going bad? Has anyone else had this issue?
  • LaniLani999
    LaniLani999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just purchased my first FT4F and also the nutritional food scale. I am so excited to use it.
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    It's comfortable for me and it has to remain in contact with your skin near your heart. Also, you are advised to wet the sensor areas before putting on. You'll see what I mean. I do have a question for some of the others...the other day my hrm was picking up a hr of 219 and it seemed to be stuck on this crazy number. I couldn't tried touching the watch to the sensor and even took the sensor off and reapplied it but nothing helped. Is it a early warning that the batteries may be going bad? Has anyone else had this issue?

I have read similar posts here to yours and some replace the batteries. Do you also wash the chest strap regularly? They say sometimes the prongs can have a bit of build up and the HRM works fine after a warm/hot wash.