Consistently over on daily sugar consumption

Options
I am consistently under for most categories (calories, fat, carbs, protein, sodium) except sugar. I am consistently OVER on sugar for the day. Almost all my daily sugar intake comes from fruit, no added sugar to anything. Is it problematic to go over on sugar if it is all natural sugar? Is sugar from fruit equally as bad as added processed sugar?

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is coming from natural sources and you aren't a diabetic, don't worry about it. If it bothers you change your sugar target!
  • momcrom
    momcrom Posts: 5
    Options
    I printed out a list of low glycemic fruits. I think I will switch the fruits I eat to the lower sugar fruits. As much as I love pineapple and bananas, I will only be able to eat them on very rare occasions
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! But I eat a lot of fruit which adds to it. Even so it's still sky high!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't worry about it. Because I am not diabetic. The nutrients gained from the fruits far outweigh (in my opinion) the high sugar content.
  • beccalyse
    beccalyse Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes, natural sugar is far better for you than processed sugar, but if you're trying to lose weight, you might consider cutting your fruit intake... or altering your eating window for it. I have a grapefruit with breakfast every morning as part of my workout recovery, and I bring an apple with me to work as a mid-morning snack. But I don't eat fruit after lunch.

Fruit's good for you, but veggies are far more vital.
  • pinalety
    pinalety Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I'm at close to 70% of my sugar allowance by breakfast and I have yet to fall under the 27 grms. I am not diabetic, and have made improvements to the amount I consume. I was about 300%+ over when I first started logging MFP...now I'm closer to 55% over now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over as well. I'm not diabetic but I get most of it in whole wheat breads, plain yogurt and fruit. I'm not really worried about it.
  • momcrom
    momcrom Posts: 5
    Options
    So I guess the concensus is as long as i am not diabetic (which I'm not) and as long as all my sugar is coming from fruit (which it is) and as long I am losing weight (which I am) I should not be concerned. Great news!!!!!