Let's talk SUGAR!!!!

Options
Help me understand what sugars you feel okay eating, please!!! I usually go over on my sugar...daily. I wish they would have a separate category for sugars from fruit because I consider those good sugars. I see a lot of people drinking store bought protein shakes, most of which are higher in sugar.....is that something I should be looking at or ignoring? I am not talking about eating candy bars all day...hahahaha.....just sugar in the foods we eat while trying to be healthier. Feedback please!!!

Replies

• DenseGirl
    DenseGirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Soo sugar is an interesting subject lets talk about it on a molecular level. Fructose, galactose and glucose are the simple sugars that our body absorbs. . Fructose found in apples, sugar beets and all those other delicious healthy foods is what is refined into the 1lb bag you buy at the grocery. So, sugar is sugar. My advice is to limit it to the goal, this will mean cutting apples, carrot and snickers bars. It is tough, MFP gives you are very strict goal but if you hit it you will be successful. Try to do it one day, then a week, see what you can do. Good Luck!
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sugar really is sugar when you come down to it, no matter what the source is. It all raises your blood sugar levels. Diabetics have to limit all of it, if that helps at all as proof! Fruit, vegetables, white/wheat bread/pasta, potatoes, candy, cake, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, honey, maple syrup, nutella, etc....even though fruit & vegetables are technically healthier due to being less processed & having more nutrients/vitamins and will tend to keep you fuller due to a lower energy density. Basically meaning, you could eat a huge bowl of sliced apples for 300 calories but three reese's peanut butter cups would have the same calorie content...which would make you feel fuller physically? The apples. Then again, which would make you feel more satisfied mentally? Maybe the pb cups. So you have to make your choice.

The sugars from fruit really are not the "good sugars". It seems almost laughable to say they are equally as bad as the sugars from cookies, but to our bodies it is processed that way. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat fruit, but you should eat it in moderation just like everything else. Now that's not to say that cookies are not more damaging overall to your body that fruit...they are, but that's not due to the sugar content alone. It's because of the saturated fat, processed oils, lack of vitamins/minerals, high energy density, how easy it is to eat one cookie and want to keep eating the entire box of cookies, etc.

I find that my sugar cravings, and cravings to overeat in general, lessen when I limit all sugar, including fruit & vegetables. And when I do eat a piece of fruit, WOW is it sweet. And candy/cake/real desserts...holy crap, almost makes me feel sick.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I prefer Coke to Pepsi. :tongue: Some days I am very much addicted. It is shocking, after cutting down for while, whether its sugar or salt, how strong they taste when you go back! I have a hard time eating a lot or protein, even though I know it will make me feel full.
  • kellybeam
    kellybeam Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for that input!!! Sugar is Sugar!!! Plain and simple....and I will treat it as such from here on out!!! :)
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is coming from natural sources and you aren't a diabetic (or trending that way), I wouldn't worry too much about it. I find that the MFP targets are not realistic for someone trying to change their life style in a maintainable way. Adjust the target to something you are willing to live with!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar really is sugar when you come down to it, no matter what the source is. It all raises your blood sugar levels. Diabetics have to limit all of it, if that helps at all as proof! Fruit, vegetables, white/wheat bread/pasta, potatoes, candy, cake, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, honey, maple syrup, nutella, etc....even though fruit & vegetables are technically healthier due to being less processed & having more nutrients/vitamins and will tend to keep you fuller due to a lower energy density. Basically meaning, you could eat a huge bowl of sliced apples for 300 calories but three reese's peanut butter cups would have the same calorie content...which would make you feel fuller physically? The apples. Then again, which would make you feel more satisfied mentally? Maybe the pb cups. So you have to make your choice.

The sugars from fruit really are not the "good sugars". It seems almost laughable to say they are equally as bad as the sugars from cookies, but to our bodies it is processed that way. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat fruit, but you should eat it in moderation just like everything else. Now that's not to say that cookies are not more damaging overall to your body that fruit...they are, but that's not due to the sugar content alone. It's because of the saturated fat, processed oils, lack of vitamins/minerals, high energy density, how easy it is to eat one cookie and want to keep eating the entire box of cookies, etc.

I find that my sugar cravings, and cravings to overeat in general, lessen when I limit all sugar, including fruit & vegetables. And when I do eat a piece of fruit, WOW is it sweet. And candy/cake/real desserts...holy crap, almost makes me feel sick.

Excellent post. The real issue IMHO, is not sugar but carb intake in general. Sugar is a carb. All carbs become blood glucose. If you set a reasonable carb macro target and stick to it, worrying about sugar is not the issue. And no, fruit sugar is not any better than any other sugar. Or worse for that matter. Sugar is not inhernently bad. It is useful in the proper dose and context.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. The real issue IMHO, is not sugar but carb intake in general. Sugar is a carb. All carbs become blood glucose. If you set a reasonable carb macro target and stick to it, worrying about sugar is not the issue. And no, fruit sugar is not any better than any other sugar. Or worse for that matter. Sugar is not inhernently bad. It is useful in the proper dose and context.

Sugar is one half glucose and one half fructose. Excess fructose consumption has been connected to obesity and insulin resistance (and few other things I can't remember). One should try to limit the amount of sugar consumed while trying to meet carb requirements.
  • mmapags
    Options

Sugar is one half glucose and one half fructose. Excess fructose consumption has been connected to obesity and insulin resistance (and few other things I can't remember). One should try to limit the amount of sugar consumed while trying to meet carb requirements.

And what dosage and in what context? That would be my point. What difference would it make if the dosage were low enough in the overall context of well managed calories and macronutrients?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

And what dosage and in what context? That would be my point. What difference would it make if the dosage were low enough in the overall context of well managed calories and macronutrients?

^ This, thank you.

I eat a crap load lately.. ~200 g - I'm gunna' die.
  • jenmac55
    jenmac55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have foods that they eat that are low in sugar? I'm having a hard time staying below my daily sugar limit but over 1000 calories. I don't want to be below 1,200 calories but find when I try to get to 1,200 I'm way over the sugar.

Ideas?
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

A person consuming most of their carbs from, say, Frosted Flakes is more likely to build insulin resistance than a person who eats most of their carbs from, say, potatoes. Now, this person who loves his/her (delicious!) Frosted Flakes is hitting their target carb macros and calories for weight loss and is successfully losing weight. However, due to insulin resistance, this person's weight loss will come at the expense of not just fat, but of lean body mass. Let's say this person lost 60lbs in 3 years and started at 30% body fat. Because of insulin resistance, the 60 lbs lost would register as 2 or 3% decrease as opposed to a 10 or 15% decrease. You can't look at weight loss in a healthy manner without looking at body composition as well.

This is an extreme example, but I'm just trying to highlight what insulin resistance from fructose over-consumption might do to an obese person who is trying to lose weight and lower the risk factors associated with not just weight, but body composition. I didn't even mention the fact that fructose is stored as fat at a much higher rate than glucose, even while on a deficit diet (I guess I just did).
    Does anyone have foods that they eat that are low in sugar? I'm having a hard time staying below my daily sugar limit but over 1000 calories. I don't want to be below 1,200 calories but find when I try to get to 1,200 I'm way over the sugar.

Ideas?
    Rice, pasta, potatoes, steel cut oats. These have high glucose and are very low in sugar.
  • MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Since we are on this topic. I am actually quite confused myself. How is it that I have eaten only 500kcal (give or take), barely grazed passed half of my carb quota for the day BUT I've busted my sugar target for the day by like 17grams? Am I doing something stupidly wrong here?

All I have had thus far are;
    1) 50g Greek Yoghurt
    2) 1 medium banana
    3) Black Coffee (no sugar at all)
    4) 1 cup strawberriees
    6) 2tbs Eggplant, red pepper and onion spread
    7) 5 whole grain crackers
    8) 5 cherry tomatoes
    9) 1 nectarine

Sorry if this has been touched on before, I am new and incredibly confused.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Help me understand what sugars you feel okay eating, please!!! I usually go over on my sugar...daily. I wish they would have a separate category for sugars from fruit because I consider those good sugars. I see a lot of people drinking store bought protein shakes, most of which are higher in sugar.....is that something I should be looking at or ignoring? I am not talking about eating candy bars all day...hahahaha.....just sugar in the foods we eat while trying to be healthier. Feedback please!!!

The protein mix I drink has no sugar, 1 carb and no lactos....many do, you gotta look for them. Also, if you do no want to count sugar, just do carbs...adding a sugar category is really counting sugar twice. Carbs break down in the body as sugar, the best carbs, like in beans, veggies, fruit takes longer and doesn't give a quick insulin spike. But you should watch your fruit intake though.

ETA: ALL sugars are NOT created equal just as ALL carbs are not! Do NOT be fooled! That is why those HFCS advertisements are NO longer on TV, they got sued and LOST because they TRIED to make "us" believe that HFCS was just like table sugar. You just have to learn about Sugars...and how they are added to PROCESSED foods OR Whole foods, like tomatoes, potatoes, fruits...They are NOT metabolized in the Body like processed sugars or foods.
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    Since we are on this topic. I am actually quite confused myself. How is it that I have eaten only 500kcal (give or take), barely grazed passed half of my carb quota for the day BUT I've busted my sugar target for the day by like 17grams? Am I doing something stupidly wrong here?

1) 50g Greek Yoghurt
    2) 1 medium banana
    4) 1 cup strawberriees
    8) 5 cherry tomatoes
    9) 1 nectarine

too much fruit, not enough veggies, and missing protein! How do you survive w/o starving all day long? I can only imagine the blood sugar spike and crash if I ate like this. I find I MUST have enough protein & complex carbs to keep from reaching for sweet things (including too much fruit).
  • tara_leigh
    tara_leigh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you add the column to track sugar and pay attention to what foods cause the total to increase. By making good choices it is possible to keep sugar intake pretty low. Yesterday I had close to 1700 calories and kept sugar to 24g, 22g of which came from fruit and vege. It takes some adjusting but its worth it.
  • MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options

1) 50g Greek Yoghurt
    2) 1 medium banana
    4) 1 cup strawberriees
    8) 5 cherry tomatoes
    9) 1 nectarine

too much fruit, not enough veggies, and missing protein! How do you survive w/o starving all day long? I can only imagine the blood sugar spike and crash if I ate like this. I find I MUST have enough protein & complex carbs to keep from reaching for sweet things (including too much fruit).

Whoops! Forgot to add about 100g of broccoli! Sorry!

Thing is that Brocolli is rather filling. If I eat loads, I feel icky for the rest of the day!

I've tried to up my protein with eggs to the mix but my protein markers had come up red in the past and I kinda want to steer away from that if that if I am doing that wrong too. Thanks for your feedback! :)
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I have now added sugar to my macros.

Its amazing as I looked back at the last week or so that someday I am over my sugar by 20+ and others I am under by 10+.. could this be contributing to a stall in weightloss? Or is it good to zigzag your sugar as well?
  • mmapags
    Options

A person consuming most of their carbs from, say, Frosted Flakes is more likely to build insulin resistance than a person who eats most of their carbs from, say, potatoes. Now, this person who loves his/her (delicious!) Frosted Flakes is hitting their target carb macros and calories for weight loss and is successfully losing weight. However, due to insulin resistance, this person's weight loss will come at the expense of not just fat, but of lean body mass. Let's say this person lost 60lbs in 3 years and started at 30% body fat. Because of insulin resistance, the 60 lbs lost would register as 2 or 3% decrease as opposed to a 10 or 15% decrease. You can't look at weight loss in a healthy manner without looking at body composition as well.

This is an extreme example, but I'm just trying to highlight what insulin resistance from fructose over-consumption might do to an obese person who is trying to lose weight and lower the risk factors associated with not just weight, but body composition. I didn't even mention the fact that fructose is stored as fat at a much higher rate than glucose, even while on a deficit diet (I guess I just did).

In the context and dose you show above, I would agree with you but as you said, it is an extreme example. Not to say there are not people out there who eat that poorly. The incidence of insulin resistance shows there is. But, on the other hand, I would not say it is representative of the larger segment of the population by any means. maybe some sugary junk. So, some complex carbs and some simple and not a high % overall of fructose (if indeed fructose is the boogie man it's made out to be).

If this person is in calorie deficit and eating a macro mix of, say, 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs and were eating with any common sense at all, the amount of sugar they are consuming would not be anything to be concerned about and they certainly would be in no danger of insulin resistance. This is a more typical scenario for those here.

A more typical scenario is someone on a calorie target of from 1500 to 2500 calories per day, depending on size, with a carb target of somewhere between 100 and 250 grams and eating some fruit, some veggies, some dairy, some starches and possibly some sugary junk.

Another question would be how would someone in calorie deficit store fat by ingesting fructose? At the end of the day in deficit, they would have a net loss of fat regardless of macro composition in almost all cases (the exceptions being those that are already insulin resistant.)

I completley agree that managing sugar as part of your carb mix is important. But not to the extreme degree that I've seen it on this board. Look at this very thread as an example. MFP's sugar goal is for added sugar but can't be seperated out so all sugar get's counted and then people panic about being over from eating fruit and veggies!! People in this thread are recomending tracking sugar in the daily diary and others are taking them up on that. Truthfully, I think that is pointless and will only lead to frustration and lack of compliance.

I stand by what I originally said with a slight modification: Set your carb marco correctly, (forget MFP default way too high carb and way too low protein) and don't worry about tracking sugar. This assumes some common sense and balance in carb intake and sugar intake within that carb intake. And for heaven's sake, don't get all your carbs from Frosted Flakes!! :laugh:
  • kellybeam
    kellybeam Posts: 22
    Options
    This whole sugar thing is going to take some time and some adjusting...I usually have a shake in the morning for breakfast:

1 banana
    6 strawberries
    1 Dannon Light & Fit - Greek Yogurt Vanilla....(for the protein)
    1 1/2 cups of unstweetened vanilla almond milk

This sounds healthy to me....but it has 23 grams of sugar!!!! UGH!!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^Agree with this. And I think that for most normal, healthy, active people, sugar is not nearly the issue we make it out to be.