targeting the stomach

Options
I have 10 to 15 pounds tops that I would like to lose to reach my goal weight. I know where that weight is "hanging" out...my tummy!!!:grumble: Does anyone have any ideas on what type of exercise I could do that would target this area, I have already heard the usualy sit-ups, but I know there has to be something else out there other than doing sit-ups!!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :smile: Thanks in advance for your time!

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My back doesn't like full sit-ups so every 2nd day I do some normal crunches, reverse crunches, and bike crunches. You can feel that combo.
  • ASleepyJean
    Options
    The best work out I've found for the stomach/waist is belly dancing. So many of the moves target those muscles and it really helps tone the stomach while keeping nice curves. Aside from that, hula hooping works pretty well too.
  • jl_salhuana
    jl_salhuana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    situps doesn't really help reduce the belly. It just helps to change the shape of it.

You need to do leg work without machines to reduce the belly, is what I found. Things like squats, wood chops, etc. help remove the stuff from the belly and it gets burned off in the legs. Don't do bike.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    You can't burn fat from one specific area. Any cardio that works for you will help reduce belly fat. Some areas just like to hang on longer than others, just like some areas lose fat quickly.

That's not to say you shouldn't do ab work. Having that muscle there will help tone you for when that fat is gone. And muscle helps burn calories, so any muscle toning will help with that as well.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say cardio. While the ab work can help the muscles, the cardio burns the fat.

I have the same problem. All because of the kids...but so worth it. Too bad the fat doesn't come off in 9 months like it came on, at least for me.
  • blockeramanda
    blockeramanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you don't like doing sit-ups lying on the ground a good idea would be to get a yoga ball...sit on it and do a sit up that way. Lean as far back as you can go and then sit up as far forward as you can. Thats what I like to do and I get a good burn feeling when I do them :) Hope it helps!
  • jacolyncoker
    jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do the bike, and I have lost over 3 inches off of my waist, so I disagree that you shouldn't do the bike.
    And, keep in mind, bicycling is the my only source of cardio.
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    The best thing you can do is pilates to tone your core muscles. As far as any fat hanging out there, the only thing to do is diet and cardio.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    You can't burn fat from one specific area. Any cardio that works for you will help reduce belly fat. Some areas just like to hang on longer than others, just like some areas lose fat quickly.

That's not to say you shouldn't do ab work. Having that muscle there will help tone you for when that fat is gone. And muscle helps burn calories, so any muscle toning will help with that as well.

Agreed. While I'm no expert by any means, I do know that fat loss cannot be targeted. A general rule is that the older the fat the longer it takes to lose that fat. Older fat is very stubborn. It is certainly a great idea to tone up those ab muscles so when you lose the fat you have a great looking tummy BUT keep up the cardio and be diligent, at that. It will come off.
  • ValleyGirl2
    Options
    thanks so much for all of the tips and advice everyone :) I have been diligently working out on the treadmill 6 to 7 days a week, walking 4.5 to 5 miles and sticking to my calories allowance. Maybe it is the old fat that is just going to take time, I am not going to give up! I will try some of the advice given here and see if changing things up a little bit kicks things into gear!
    Thanks again everyone :smile:
  • CarolineH1980
    Options
    Belated reply! but...

my gym has this thing called slim belly. I tried it for a month and lost 2 and a half inches from my belly. Now, I'm not absolutely convinced it was only the slimbelly since I had also been going to the gym regularly and doing other stuff. However, having gained back some weight and now going to the gym again without the slim belly I'm becoming more and more convinced it might have done what it said on the tin! Here's the link - my gym is in germany but it must be in the US too.

http://bauchspeckkiller-english.pixelpoint.biz/index.php?id=02
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I gave birth 4 months ago now and I have managed to lose all the weight off my belly and almost fully toned up now. The trick is obviously to eat sensibly, that goes without saying. But go hardcore on the cardio which will reduce your overall fat ratio. I typically burn 450cals on the treadmill in 35 minutes by walking very fast at a steep incline (4-5 times per week), then 5 mins rowing then 20mins on Elliptical trainer/X Trainer. Then I do 15 minutes mat work with things like crunches and some pilates moves that focus on tummy toning. It really works but its bloody hard work especially if your stomach muscles are shot to pot like mine were after baby. I could literally do 5 crunches and that was it! Now I am up to 100 in sets of 10.